Final Fantasy - General
  • I'm guessing no one has picked up the crisis core remake? Not even you, @ERE?

I haven't had the time really but it's definitely on my list. I played the psp version back in the day but never finished it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've just ended up with too many things in my backlog plus Christmas is nearly here. I might pick it up in January.

I 100%ed the original! I was unemployed and a bit depressed at the time. Did I even enjoy it or was it just a bit of an emotional crutch? Who knows!!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I played it and reviewed it. The improvements to the graphics and combat are significant and it's quite a lot of effort for a remaster - it plays quite like Remake, but without the ATB stuff. 

But then it still feels very much like it belongs on a handheld given how compact and fragmented everything is. And unfortunately the remastering hasn't stretched to rewriting the script - it's still shite.
  • I'm playing it atm!  

I went in mostly for the story but I'm not getting much out of that (the dialogue isn't very good and it's badly acted (both the voice actors and the characters' emoting).

But the odd combat (a mix of normal ARPG fighting with slot machines), I'm finding incredibly fun.  I like the bite sized, portable friendly missions and levels.  And I just can't get enough of the FF7 setting.  Having a really good time with it.

EDIT: Agree on all that Jon.  Wishing I got it on Switch rather than PlayStation (that may just be buyers remorse).
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • JonB wrote:
    I played it and reviewed it. The improvements to the graphics and combat are significant and it's quite a lot of effort for a remaster - it plays quite like Remake, but without the ATB stuff. 

But then it still feels very much like it belongs on a handheld given how compact and fragmented everything is. And unfortunately the remastering hasn't stretched to rewriting the script - it's still shite.

How long is it? Do you think £40 is the right price?
  • 12-15 hours, although it would take longer to complete all the mini-missions (most are just a few fights), because there's a couple of hundred of those.

I think it probably should've been a bit cheaper, but you know Square Enix. £40 is just about OK.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Think I spent like 70 hours on it doing all the guff in the original version.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My brother has been pushing me to buy it, and I just might. The bits and pieces I've seen/read about Crisis Core Reunion looks like it plays similarly to Ys IX and Xenoblade 3, which is a big tick in my book. Can anyone confirm?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Think I spent like 70 hours on it doing all the guff in the original version.
    I'm sure you could but that's a lot of very repetitive mini-missions where you fight a few battles, get reward, repeat. I finished it after 15 hours and had only done 10% of them, but they were already getting tedious.

Again, perhaps it's something that works better on a handheld, where you can chip away now and again, rather than sitting down for a longer session.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    My brother has been pushing me to buy it, and I just might. The bits and pieces I've seen/read about Crisis Core Reunion looks like it plays similarly to Ys IX and Xenoblade 3, which is a big tick in my book. Can anyone confirm?
    More like Ys I should think. Battles are in small cordoned areas, with no more than a few enemies most of the time. Often you can get by with a pattern of dodges, blocks and sword swings, but you can also assign up to six materia and quickly whip out spells and special attacks. Then occasionally you get awarded limit breaks and summons. It's pretty simple, but it's slick and controls well.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempting.

Plus I like the idea of having beaten the remake of the prequel, but never completed the actual game.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Jesus. Watched the launch trailer. The English voice acting. Japanese with subtitles me thinks.
  • Does anyone know what the deal is with the Yuffie DLC for Ff7 remake on ps5?

Is it paid DLC if you don't have a new copy?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the Yuffie DLC for Ff7 remake on ps5?

Is it paid DLC if you don't have a new copy?

It’s paid to add to the original version, but built in free to the next gen “intergrade” version, afaik.

That version should also be free with PS Plus Extra, so you probably shouldn’t need to buy anything.
  • Yeah, as long as you didn't get the PS5 version by upgrading from the PS4 version, you should be fine.
  • Sweet, thank you both.

Second question is is it good?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Sweet, thank you both.

Second question is is it good?

Mileage varies - I thought it was a proper stinker, but it seems to have a lot of fans.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Having really enjoyed the FFVII remake and spending 60ish hours on it, I only got an hour into this and haven't been back. Not sure if that makes it a stinker or I was just burned out on the game overall.
  • Sorry, should have clarified my question was whether the remake is good.
  • My answer was re. Remake, and not Yuffie bit in particular. Thought the whole package fell into the aforementioned stinker zone.
  • My answer was re. Remake, and not Yuffie bit in particular. Thought the whole package fell into the aforementioned stinker zone.

Fair enough, thank you. I've heard the story does diverge from the original.

I haven't played a FF game since X so I'm currently fighting the pull of nostalgia for 1997.

I guess you might be of the view it's best left in the past?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My answer was re. Remake, and not Yuffie bit in particular. Thought the whole package fell into the aforementioned stinker zone.

Having never played the OG I don't think I had any comparison to make, so just enjoyed it for what it was.
  • @Vela. Get on XII remaster. Best FF to play, just not the best story.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I enjoyed FFVII Remake but definitely not without pretty big caveats. It felt very padded and I'm not sure what I think about the changes to the story.
  • I'm ok with some big changes. I loved how Matrix Resurrections was able to simultaneously take the piss, flip off the film studio, and genuinely contribute some interesting ideas in the future world of the series.

It wasn't perfect, but I respect that they avoided pure focus group sequel formulae.

I've heard ff7 remake does something bold, but I also understand it's not complete either.
  • I really enjoyed ffvii remake. It is a totally different game style to the first, just treading the same story.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Vela. Get on XII remaster. Best FF to play, just not the best story.

Disagree on best to play, unless you completely ignore the gambit system. Otherwise I felt quite disconnected from most of it, just walking about and the characters do everything themselves
  • FFVIIR is overall really well done, although not without issues, especially in terms of pacing. The DLC is great too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Final Fantasy XVI previews are out there, looks good. Doesn't look much like the FF that I remember as a kid like. The protagonist is called Clive too, what is that about?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They wanted to one-up Craig.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!