General Games News
  • Rockstar would be the hail Mary attempt.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Square Enix have fingers in a lot of pies outside of gaming and are less likely to be willing to be acquired as part of this whole gaming consolidation thing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rockstar would be the hail Mary attempt.

That’d be a hell of a lot of money for one game per gen. One of the biggest games of each generation, but still.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Anyone get the feeling this has been leaked by the Tories to distract us from Partygate? Cos it’s working.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Christ that is some play from MS, Wow! 70bn, I mean does that even exist in this Universe? ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Anyone get the feeling this has been leaked by the Tories to distract us from Partygate? Cos it’s working.

:D
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

I’m also trying to think of any Activision Blizzard games that I actually care about or want to play.

A lot of PlayStation fanboys will be adopting that stance now
  • The only game of theirs that I've really played and liked at all in recent times was Overwatch, and that completely died for me after Ana.
  • Boozy is making a delivery to my gaff in a couple hours, I wonder if I'll be the one breaking the news to him lol
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can hear him bellowing with laughter now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m also trying to think of any Activision Blizzard games that I actually care about or want to play.
    A lot of PlayStation fanboys will be adopting that stance now

I'm sure they will.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    EH DIABLO IV?
  • Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

When will the deal close do we think? And will he actually be fired?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I read middle of next year somewhere in the ResetEra thread about this, not sure where it came from.
  • If they’ve got CoD, that’s got to be some pretty strong leverage with Sony to get them to sign up to some GamePass stuff they might not like.
  • Would play Diablo 4 if it’s as good as 3.
    Been meaning to play that remastered Tony Hawk. Otherwise, shrugs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hadn't seen this news. I can't play StarCraft 2 for shit, but I think it's one of the best spectator eSports. 
    Hope this is the catalyst needed to develop SC3.

Still won't make me buy an Xbox, but if I had one, it's pretty reassuring.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    June 2023 for deal close apparently
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Big thing for Microsoft, thinking strategically, is that it buys them an immediate stronghold in the Asian gaming market*. Especially Korea and China.

But £40billion (in squid roughly, right?) looks trippy.

Like, if that's for Activision, and it's now all encoded in 'brand value', how much do you think a Sega takeover would be!!?

*Added bonus for it being an American company with great prominence in China... So perhaps it's not entirely overvalued.
  • Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

When will the deal close do we think? And will he actually be fired?

June apparently. He will leave within a year I reckon but here’s the thing, he built the company up to a $70 billion valuation so in some quarters he will be hailed as a huge business success.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Market cap of 2.3 trillion, it's a rounding error.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Big thing for Microsoft, thinking strategically, is that it buys them an immediate stronghold in the Asian gaming market.
    Especially Korea and China.

But £40billion (in squid roughly, right?) looks trippy.

Like, if that's for Activision, and it's now all encoded in 'brand value', how much do you think a Sega takeover would be!!?

I’d say that Sega would be less than Acti. CoD is an absolute juggernaut, Sega have nothing on that level.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not sure... Sonic alone is massive. But even Sega subsidiaries, like the FM guys Sports Interactive (edit - and especially Atlus), have massive international user bases. Wish I knew enough to make an estimate.

Might make an interesting topic to explore in some depth, that... Wouldn't know where to start.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Market cap of 2.3 trillion, it's a rounding error.

It’s ridiculous.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FM sells about 1 million copies a year. It's like 30-40 mil in revenue, its fuck all really.
  • monkey wrote:
    If they’ve got CoD, that’s got to be some pretty strong leverage with Sony to get them to sign up to some GamePass stuff they might not like.

So are you thinking the aim isn't to win ps fans to xbox but to get gamepass on Sony machines?

SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    If they’ve got CoD, that’s got to be some pretty strong leverage with Sony to get them to sign up to some GamePass stuff they might not like.

So are you thinking the aim isn't to win ps fans to xbox but to get gamepass on Sony machines?
    Either / or probably suits them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure... Sonic alone is massive. But even Sega subsidiaries, like the FM guys Sports Interactive (edit - and especially Atlus), have massive international user bases. Wish I knew enough to make an estimate.

Might make an interesting topic to explore in some depth, that... Wouldn't know where to start.

According to Wikipedia, SegaSammy’s revenue in 2020 was about $3.2B (and remember that’s not just from games, Sammy has a lot of its own businesses), versus ActiBlizzard’s $8B.
  • What are MS/Xbox getting in terms of games, then? I'd be amazed if CoD wasn't exclusive so that's a load of FPS.  Spyro and Crash Bandicoot give them 3D platformers.  But they'd have these already, just not exclusive. 

Do they revive Prototype to get a 3D super hero game? Are we getting World of Warcraft on Xbox?

I think it's crazy news (massive for MS) and I'm looking forward to rattling through the existing games that appear on Gamepass but I dunno what it means for games we get going forwards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!