General Games News
  • Quoting for page turn
    I like the idea of Hyenas, but fuck me that was the driest presentation I've ever seen. Not a second of gameplay footage in a 40-minute reveal feature, what were they thinking?
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Create aimed for three to five years from now?
    The alpha build is gonna be locked and people will be seeing it in action soon anyway, plus devs show pre-alpha footage all the time. I mean, if there's nothing worth showing why the presentation at all?

I dunno. I just wanted to see it in action. Battle Royal adjacent x tactical hero shooter x Lawbreakers reeboot sounds all kinds of fun.
  • Yeah I'm not sure creating new IP's was the most sensible thing they could have done at this point. Very SEGA though.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Sci fi is the new zombies. Or something.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Remember that old rumour about Michael Jackson having written music for Sonic 3?

It seems that Yuji Naka has just confirmed it:

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1539944869862354944
  • What will he lift the lid on next??
  • A guy at school called Finn told everyone in physics he met Michael Jackson at the urinals. Of course I’m 99.9% sure this didn’t happen, but at the time I think we were all 100%
  • This was coming from the same man who claimed to have a bike with 10,000 gears
  • Fucking knew it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This was coming from the same man who claimed to have a bike with 10,000 gears

It's probably ironic somehow.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Guy at my school claimed to have Speedball 3 on the Mega Drive but his mum wouldn't let us in to play it
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Every school had a bulshitter. We had a guy that claimed his dad got stopped by the police for speeding in his Maserati (we all lived on council estates) and let him off because of how well he drove.
  • this talk reminds me of Sean fucking Smallbones, who successfully tricked a dozen or so of us with the worlds most outrageous lie back in year 3. 

It was his first day at school, and I guess in an effort to make new friends he told all the boys that i) he had every Nintendo and Sega console ever including all portables, and ii) he has such large quantities of these consoles that he would be happy to sell us each the consoles of our choice for a price that ranged from 10p - 20p each. 

Ten to twenty pence! For any console I wanted! I fucking lost my mind, and had him put me down for one of each. I remember arguing with my parents who told me he wouldn't deliver on any of these promises, but I wasn't having any of it. I knew he would come through. What a legend. We all wanted to be his best friend. 

But then the web of lies began to unravel. He had pledged to get us our consoles by the end of the week but come Friday none had been delivered. Okay no worries he assured us they would come through next week, but they didn't, nor the week after that. Some of us were growing concerned. Then one day he arrived with some tragic news. It turns out he was keeping his stockpile of consoles in a giant skip outside his house that was covered with a blanket, but he forgot that also his dad was keeping petrol there too for the car, and unfortunately his dad was smoking a cigarette and when he finished he threw the cigarette behind him without looking and there was a huge explosion  and everything was on fire. and so unfortunately he would no longer be able to provide us consoles at space raiders prices

/:
  • Sean and I fell out shortly after that, but not even because of the consoles he failed to provide. His dad tried to rescue a wild bird that had got stuck in some netting, but it pecked his eye out. By coincidence this bird and I share a name. Therefore it was also my fault? 

Kids are weird
  • Man, that's an unfortunate accident.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What a terrible waste of games consoles.
  • Who keeps petrol in a skip? His Dad sounds like a moron.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Seems an equitable ending to the tale. An eye for an eye.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looking back I love the bullshit they used to come out with. Same guy who’s dad was the great driver also made a sword in his back garden to cut down trees. No one questioned why he didn’t make a more reliable and sturdy axe.
  • My school had a guy, also named Shaun, who dug under a local army base fence and took a tank for a joyride - according to him. Can’t remember all his stories but that was one that stuck out.
  • There are several great AskUK threads about this, people recalling their best school bullshitter stories. Worth a google, some crackers.
  • Where’s Matthew when you need him?
  • I bought a prototype Ultra 64 off of a kid called Shawn Bigbones.
  • Where’s Matthew when you need him?

Worst forum alt returns
  • Alright, alright, alright.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Every school had a bulshitter.

There was a brief period when I was at primary school where the bullshitter was me.  I sort of "discovered" lying one day, having been previously convinced that everyone would always be able to tell if I was bullshitting, and I went slightly mad with power.

The period began, and ultimately ended, with the tale of my Mum getting shot in the leg. (A story that has become so infamous amongst friends and family that I think I committed a version in verse to the Childs Play book we did a decade ago.  Certainly there's a version somewhere.)  The non-rhyming version is this...

One day I was mucking about with friends waiting to go in after break. We'd been playing a game where we were all spies, and we were imagining we had to rescue our parents from the IRA.  (What can I say, we were kids, and the TV talked about the IRA constantly at the time).  Anyway, the teacher was suitably irritated by us continuing to cause disruption in the line, and asked me what we were talking about. To which I replied, semi-honestly, that we were talking about how my Mum had been shot in the leg.

The teacher's attitude changed immediately from anger to concern, and I realised that pointing out that she hadn't really been shot, and that I was just describing the game, was unlikely to work in my favour. So I maintained the charade.

It continued for quite a while.  There was a special assembly in honour of my Mum.  Prayers were said. I got an easy ride whenever I did anything wrong. It was great.  

For a period, I was King.  And, as I say, drunk on power I started to spin more tales.  For instance, within a very short period I'd convinced the whole school that a monster definitely lived in the ditch behind the hedge (several others claimed to have seen it).  Everything was going swimmingly, until the fateful day of the School Sponsored Walk.

The sponsored walk was an annual thing, and I always looked forward to it. Yes, you had to trudge 10 miles, but there were stops along the way for drinks and snacks, there were people giving out free gifts, and at the end my Mum (who always lagged behind) would buy us ice cream.  For some reason it never occurred to me that this year might be different.  So I waited at the end of the walk, brimming over with anticipation for ice cream, every now and again warning one kid or another not to get too close to the hedge.  

Finally she appeared - walking much faster than usual, her face bright red, and her strides long and purposeful. I suddenly realised I was in deep trouble. She - rightly - made me confess everything there and then in front of the assembled masses, having spent a large part of the walk being stopped by parents and teachers alike who wanted to comment on her immense bravery "doing such a long walk after everything that happened".  Having made me confess to the assembled hordes, she then loudly proclaimed that she didn't know who she was more disappointed in. "My own son, or all of you idiots for believing him", before dragging me home in disgrace.

After that I decided to restrict my penchant for tall tales to obvious fiction...
  • Heh we had one obvious mega bullshitter.  Can't remember all his lies, but the one that has stuck in our heads is his claim to owning a Neo Geo.  We never did get to see it.  Maybe because he didn't have one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • More of these stories please. Fucking love noxy’s.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha Tin the bulshitter. Love it.
  • Bullshit stories deserves a thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!