Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think Sydney can take Hawthorn.  I hope.

Anyway, the real story is the VFL grand final.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Purely from a fatigue point of view, I hope it's Sydney v hawthorn. Other combos would be shit. Hawthorn would spank collingwood again, I reckon, and I don't want to see adelaide in a GF. (Sorry wario).
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Collingwood are only just going, so yes.  If Sydney have their attacking hat on, they could flatten the Pies and coast in.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • 884416-jude-bolton.jpg

1_Jude-Bolton-blog.jpg

jude-bolton.jpg
    The Age wrote:
    He was actually knocked out twice in separate incidents in a game (versus Brisbane at the SCG, 2010), a dubious honour. Brad Ottens almost drove his knee through Jude's head at Geelong one day when he ran back with the flight of the footy, the equivalent of going blindfolded onto a freeway.

As a family member, it's the moment you dread. I cussed under my breath; I can't begin to think what was going through his parents' heads as he lay on the turf. But he got up, wobbled around and found his way to the bench. Twenty minutes later he was back in the fray and kicking a goal.

At one point, Jude went six years without missing a game, which is quite something when you factor in a kamikaze playing style. In 2005, when Sydney won the flag, he separated his shoulder joint with a month to go in the season. You could poke the end of your finger into that joint; Jude could not put on his seatbelt in the car or sleep on that side. The medicos told him that it needed to be pinned, wiping out the season. Alternatively, he could try to play on painkillers and keep it a secret. He kept playing, getting his skull crushed in the grand final so that blood spewed out into his blonde hair.

Jude does a good line in denial of injuries. When he hyper-extended his ''good'' right knee this year, he tore both cruciate ligaments. When I saw him in the rooms he was unfailingly optimistic: ''We'll be right.'' Three weeks later, he was back playing. That's why I sometimes call him the Black Knight, from the Monty Python film. ''It's just a flesh wound …''

Jude became a very good player, but people had trouble placing him. He was not, for instance, a Chris Judd or a Gary Ablett, yet he had something. I prefer to look at what he is, rather than what he is not. For instance, he has laid more tackles than any player in AFL history (currently 1389). He is an amazing tackler, owner of the league record of 19 in a single game (versus West Coast, 2011).

He can also win the football. His 26 contested possessions against Essendon in 2010 at the SCG was a record at the time. As Rodney Eade observed, he is a ''see-ball, get-ball player'', good enough to draw a tag from the best stoppers, like Cameron Ling, when he was at the height of his career.

If the season was 18 games and not 22, Jude might have won two or three Swans best and fairest awards and a couple of all-Australian gongs. But the hits and concussions took a toll on him around August each year. As Ling once observed: ''When you play against him, you know you're going to come off in some pain.''

300 of the best
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yeah, he's been through stuff that might have ended the careers of lesser men.  Who says AR isn't tough?
  • Come on. Someone get some gaffa tape on Richards' knee.
  • Phew. Just need to ride out the inevitable push. Goodes looks great. Kennedy is a mountain. Jack has been clever. Grundy has had help mostly. Come on!!!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Go the Swannies.  Collingwood are cooked, too much to too few.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Swans are playing top shelf football.  They could win it all in this kind of form.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ruh roh
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    RUH ROH
  • Phew.
  • L R T
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Well that worked out.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    RUH ROH?
    Don't be ridiculous.
  • It was almost like being there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I paint a vivid picture.
  • Well that was pretty comprehensive, don't feel so bad about the game 2 weeks ago now.

Kennedy to pull a Norm Smith next week.  Absolute monster.  Will have to pop into the tab tomorrow and see what sort of odds they're giving.

Speaking of that sort of activity, crows paying over $6 tomorrow afternoon  - turn your $50 into $300+!  

Right?  RIGHT?

:-(
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    S'your money muggins.
  • Fuck.
  • Damn. Nearly was his money. Good effort crows. I saw a lot of injured hawks. It's appreciated.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Go Swans, you must win.  Hawthorn are weak, arrogant.  SMASH DEM
  • Was pretty gutted last night but feel surprisingly good this morning.  Very proud to be an AFC supporter.

We had no right to be so close at the end, partly because of crows' taking the game on and finishing well, partly thanks to hawks' either letting the gross favouritism get to their heads or not handling the pressure well.

Mitchell and Sewell were both fantastic all game, rioli finished well too after looking a little shakey.  Were probably the difference.  

Hugely impressed with tippetts game.    Hope against all logic he stays with us next year, this was probably the first time I've seen him and walker work together effectively.  Maybe yesterday's Mae will convince him?  Please!

*token umpiring whinge* love the sound of their own voices - hated the guess work - I'm talking Brodie smith's 'throw' called by some guy 100m away, when the crows were on a break.  Replay showed a clear tap.  Why call it if you're not sure?  

Tippetts incorrect disposal assist to walker in the third.  Replay showed it was a handball.  And of course Franklin cracks the shits and puts rutten in a headlock just because.  Rutten retaliates and a free kick is called.  Wtf was he supposed to do, just lay there and get choked out?  Pissweak.  

Of course porpoises free kick in the last was totally fair though.  Cough.

Well that whinge was petty but felt good.  Go swans!

Ps Just saw leigh Matthews on game day reporting - 'Taylor walker kicks a long goal after half time to, really, keep them in it, they were still a long way back' - WTF it put them in front!  Get off the piss.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's no return in reading of listening to the opinions of football journalists.  There is a small handful of journos who not only have a talent for writing, but can also pair that ability to actual insight.

The rest are hacks and were they writing on any other topic, they'd be barely able to land a job at the Heidelberg Leader.  Mark Robinson is a prime example.  The man is a bloated, whingeing alcoholic who uses words that he does not know the meaning of, bases his ravings on airy fairy bullshit of his own making and ensures any meaningful discussion of the sport degenerates into nostalgic, dribbling bombast.

The football media have goldfish memories and do not understand the sport they report on (Tony Shaw being the worst offender).  It's embarrassing.  The most interesting insight comes from those just out of the game or, better yet, still in it.  The tactical nous of the majority of football commentators is woeful.  They literally do not understand what is going on out there. Yes, they know what it's like to compete, give some lip and cop it, carry an injury and win or lose, but beyond that they are as clueless as those two moustachioed Hawk supporting monstrosities that hurl abuse at everyone about everything from the fence.

Gerard Whately and one or two others, possibly Parkin, know how to handle themselves.

On the Crows, they've got a sniff of old Geelong about them.  Very attacking, tough, some star runners, a better forward line but inferior back line.  They could be the next super team.  Pies are shot, their 'dynasty' didn't amount to much.
  • I am going to worry about the hawks ability to slam on 3-4 goals in 3 minutes and the swans "ability" to forget to score for 30 minutes for the whole week.

Reckon we can do it, but damn, it's going to be very interesting. Need to kick straight, get all our chances early, and play with a lead.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yep.  It's 2009 all over again, hopefully.
  • Skerret wrote:
    There's no return in reading of listening to the opinions of football journalists.  There is a small handful of journos who not only have a talent for writing, but can also pair that ability to actual insight.

The rest are hacks and were they writing on any other topic, they'd be barely able to land a job at the Heidelberg Leader.  Mark Robinson is a prime example.  The man is a bloated, whingeing alcoholic who uses words that he does not know the meaning of, bases his ravings on airy fairy bullshit of his own making and ensures any meaningful discussion of the sport degenerates into nostalgic, dribbling bombast.

The football media have goldfish memories and do not understand the sport they report on (Tony Shaw being the worst offender).  It's embarrassing.  The most interesting insight comes from those just out of the game or, better yet, still in it.  The tactical nous of the majority of football commentators is woeful.  They literally do not understand what is going on out there. Yes, they know what it's like to compete, give some lip and cop it, carry an injury and win or lose, but beyond that they are as clueless as those two moustachioed Hawk supporting monstrosities that hurl abuse at everyone about everything from the fence.

Gerard Whately and one or two others, possibly Parkin, know how to handle themselves.

On the Crows, they've got a sniff of old Geelong about them.  Very attacking, tough, some star runners, a better forward line but inferior back line.  They could be the next super team.  Pies are shot, their 'dynasty' didn't amount to much.

Great post - the Mark Robinson situation is just baffling. How does he have his own primetime nationally broadcast football show? 4 times a week!

I reckon to a casual observer he’d come across as a punch drunk lovable larrikin from an 80’s footy team whose just starting to lose the plot. But he’s not punch drunk, he’s actual drunk, and doesn’t even have the been-there, done-that past player credentials that seem to carry such weight.

The fact the show is even remotely watchable speaks volumes about Whatley. ‘Footy’s odd couple!’ – lol.

I guess ROBBO embodies that current, slightly bizarre footy media ideal of being a blokes bloke who viewers would like to have bbq and beers with, like BT, JB, DARCE, HAMO etc etc. Would personally rather listen to blokes who can string proper sentences together to be honest!

PS glad you can see a bit of the Geelong in the current crows line-up - Sanderson's been fantastic this year. Not only effective but great to watch.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I am going to worry about the hawks ability to slam on 3-4 goals in 3 minutes and the swans "ability" to forget to score for 30 minutes for the whole week.

Reckon we can do it, but damn, it's going to be very interesting. Need to kick straight, get all our chances early, and play with a lead.

Very keen to see how it plays out - If Hawthorn have the yips in front of goal again, I reckon Sydney will punish them far more harshly than the crows were able to do. Either way the late season H&A match showed you blokes have got the chops to match it with them; I'm hoping for a similar battle with the opposite result.

I want to see Jack Gunston's TEARS.
  • Happy to see Jobe get up. Wasn't a particularly tense count though.

The Jim memorial was actually really good. The Kleenex got a work out at our place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!