Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Mowgli's was not Chaakoo. Was decent enough but levels below. And it turns out it's a chain and they have a branch in Glasgow! Across from fuckin Chaakoo! The cunts!!

Missed all this but I didn't really rate Chakoo all that much when I went. It's no Mother India anyway.

• Damn right. Chaakoo is a knock-off Dishoom wannabe, all the way down to the painted signs and photos on the walls. But … it’s a solid [7] of an option, especially when it’s conveniently located.

Glasgow Indian food rankings?

Mother India / Dining In
    Dhakin / The Dhabba
    Murphy’s Pakora Bar
    Probably someplace on the Southside that I haven’t tried
    Chaakoo

And pour one out for The Wee Curry Shop (RIP).
  • Aw the Wee Curry Shop, gone but not forgotten. The definitely-not-knock-off Little Curry House on Byres Road is still good. Local to me we've got Clay Oven and The Indian, both of which are aces. Mother India still top though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was in the Liverpool Mowgli. Thought it was grand. I liked the tiffin cans. I just ordered the pot luck option off the menu.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aye, Mowgli is a chain now but it's an independent chain. Their chickpea coated chicken wings in tamarind (I think?) sauce is goodness.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mowing is good. Had the tiffin too and it was very nice. Still haven’t tried Dishoom.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was in Brum Dishoom in November. Very fine indeed. I wasn't paying so it was even better and got to try loads of stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hey guys, I'm doing a weird little side project thing. It involves looking at a text and how it has evolved in it's various iterations. Being a dev, I'm thinking the best tool to do this in would be github, however if there are any writers, proofreaders, editors whatever here who can recommend better ways to do this, then I'm all ears. I'll be wanting to track complete text, chapters, and changes over time. Realised I've not worded this perfectly but hey ho
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm doing a weird little side project thing. It involves looking at a text and how it has evolved in it's various iterations. Being a dev, I'm thinking the best tool to do this in would be github, however if there are any writers, proofreaders, editors whatever here who can recommend better ways to do this, then I'm all ears. I'll be wanting to track complete text, chapters, and changes over time. Realised I've not worded this perfectly but hey ho
    I am fuck all help but interested in the output - is it a business or a book?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Book, I'll start a thread once I've got the foreword and a couple of chapters at least down, even if not final drafts

But the tool was to help me visualise edits, and the more I think about it I reckon github will be the right tool
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't a dedicated editor for that. Ms Word can track document changes and manage comments., inserts etc but that's more for multi authoring or collaborative work.

Adobe might have something.
  • Have you looked at Scrivener, Cocko?
  • poprock wrote:
    Have you looked at Scrivener, Cocko?

Scrivener's interesting.  I use it for writing stuff, and it's great for long form as it's easy to break into chapters, flick back and forth, squirrel ideas off to the side and so on.  As for what you're specifically looking for...   It has a "revision" mode which allows a degree of tracked changes. The changes it records though tend to be additions (in different colour text, depending on whether it's the first, second third change etc) - it doesn't strikethrough deletions by default.  (Though you can tell it to do so).

Info here if you want it.

You can also take "snapshots" which allow you to capture a document at a particular time (you can then get it to compare them).

I much prefer Scrivener for writing on, but if I was purely looking to track changes I can imagine opting for Word instead to be honest. Scrivener feels less untidy than Word, but has less functionality when it comes to tracked changes. (Depends what you need to do).

Of course, if you know your way around GitHub there maybe something to be said for sticking to what you know...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd never heard of Scrivener, have downloaded the trial version, looks super interesting. I think it might be useful when it comes to actually writing, but for now I'll use github to track the research pieces. Just seems sensible as I'll be tracking a ruleset and all it's changes over time. Github will make counting revisions and reversions much easier as well as allowing me to turn the thing sideways to look at individual paragraphs etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not sure exactly what you need, but Obsidian might be useful?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Book, I'll start a thread once I've got the foreword and a couple of chapters at least down, even if not final drafts But the tool was to help me visualise edits, and the more I think about it I reckon github will be the right tool
    Nice one, really interesting/ interested
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not sure exactly what you need, but Obsidian might be useful?

Hey Goobs, not heard of that either, seems interesting. Can imagine using it as part of a data visualisation suite. To create word maps etc to find unseen insight

Cheers Charlie, here's hoping there ends up being something moderately worthwhile
  • Any London badgers around this evening or tomorrow?  I'm probably stuck here until Saturday AM, so at a loose end.
  • I'm looking for some software to put together a photo montage to music.  I tried canva but it doesn't appear to allow a slide to appear for anything less than 0.1 second which is too long (I want to flash a single frame of white before certain pictures).  Powerpoint is too fiddly.

I'd happily pay for the right software although I'd prefer one off payment rather than a subscription.

Maybe a video editing software might work better.
  • Yeah, you would be much better with video editing.

You could try the free version of Lightworks, or DaVinci Resolve. I use Lightworks, I doubt you'd need any of the paid features though.
  • Adobe express is essentially Canva for simple videos. Easy to use, free trial 30 day trial if you want access to snazzier effects. The sound editing on it is shite though.

You have to search "Adobe express" though, otherwise it'll throw it's other products at you instead.
  • I've used Kinemaster on my phone and found it's great for basic editing, small fee to remove watermark.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Any London badgers around this evening or tomorrow?  I'm probably stuck here until Saturday AM, so at a loose end.

Deffo not today, conceivable cheeky one after work tomorrow if you're likely to be somewhere near central/city 5:30 ish??  There's also e.g. Yoss who's on whatsapp...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Any London badgers around this evening or tomorrow?  I'm probably stuck here until Saturday AM, so at a loose end.

Deffo not today, conceivable cheeky one after work tomorrow if you're likely to be somewhere near central/city 5:30 ish??  There's also e.g. Yoss who's on whatsapp...

Nice! I’m currently mulling. I could change my flight to go back tomorrow afternoon, but I could also stay for a beer and dinner on the company and fly back Saturday
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Don't change for me! I deffo can't do dinner and there's a chance I'll end up WFH and not able to even manage a pint!
  • Oh no, it’s changing to leave earlier! But Yoss is under the weather and if you’re not around either I might just do that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yo lads. So I'm ringing today to start booking some viewings for moving soon. Most properties, naturally, require a deposit, but some say zero deposit. I've looked it up and read about the scheme for no deposit, making it easier to move but maybe paying a small annual fee or something added to rent.

Is this a 'typical' thing or something I should be wary about? There's one listed that is perfect, furnished etc but requires no deposit so should I be squeaky bum time or embrace it? It's literally perfect location, 2 bedrooms, furnished, half mile to all amenities and transport etc.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Reddit (lol) scream to avoid it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is the rental price per hour?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is this, moving in with a mate from work to help with rent etc. It seems too good to be true and for some reason I'm wary. Have others which require deposit etc (parents happy to help if needed) which are lined up. It's all new to me as first time branching out 'on my own' so to speak.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/141866240?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=lettings&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendtofriend#/?channel=RES_LET

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!