Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @cockbeard the problem isn’t the technology to create the thrust we obviously have that to escape the earth. It’s the fuel efficiency. We don’t have the technology in fuel efficiency to keep that constant 1g or even slightly less than 1g acceleration. Theories in that video above but at present out of our reach.

The spinning technique is the most viable but not without a host of other problems, more moving parts, variable gravity along the spinning plane, affects not just on weight but on our circular vascular system etc. So that then leads to need much bigger ships which again we are limited, at present, in the scale we can produce these at.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

QFPT cos it’s a really good video.
  • I would assume anything like this in reality would need to be constructed in space.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep you'd think ultimately they'd want to do a lot of that stuff in Mars orbit. That's where the materials are to work on that stuff and lighter gravity to get the materials off the surface.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers guys, so the thrust induced gravity idea is pointless because we'll not likely move fast enough. So even with hypersleep or generational ships alternative sources of gravity would be required. With the incremental thrust technologies (sails) don't we eventually reach a velocity high enough to create it? Ah wait, maybe not because velocity isn't the same as acceleration, my brain was designing "floors" in the donut that rotated to face direction of travel as certain speeds were achieved
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah, I keep having that disconnect between acceleration and speed (i.e. speed doesn't matter). I watched another video that showed a car example (which was the simplest for my simple brain), when you are accelerating you are feeling the affect acceleration has on gravity. Lateral turn into a corner pushes your body against the side of the car, or initial off the line before you reach your speed pushes you back in your seat. That is what a ship would need to constantly achieve with incredibly efficient fuel. We could keep accelerating according to relativity, as we'll never actually achieve the speed of light (in theory), so could keep that 1g and then flip it half way through the journey, so now we are constantly decelerating at 1g and the ships "floor" becomes the opposite side.

I'd imagine the spin solution would be "good enough" for most companies, even if it has long term negative impact on its passengers.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    so could keep that 1g and then flip it half way through the journey, so now we are constantly decelerating at 1g and the ships "floor" becomes the opposite side.
    The floor would still be the floor, you'd just turn the ship around.
    One of the little details I like in The Expanse is they can't see a ship when it's approaching, they only see the plume from it's engines which are pointing towards them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That makes sense, given so many huge sources of gravity (galaxies, stars, planets, whatever) it's probably more efficient to turn than to decelerate and accelerate again
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    so could keep that 1g and then flip it half way through the journey, so now we are constantly decelerating at 1g and the ships "floor" becomes the opposite side.
    The floor would still be the floor, you'd just turn the ship around.
    One of the little details I like in The Expanse is they can't see a ship when it's approaching, they only see the plume from it's engines which are pointing towards them.

Yeah badly worded but that’s what I meant. The ship flips. What I meant was in relation to your destination.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Just saw this.  No need for a giant donut for artificial gravity.  Just put a small craft and something heavy on two ends of a long rope, and spin them around each other.

• Fitness tracker watches. Any recommendations? My partner has suggested one as an upcoming birthday present and I have no idea.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Probably not much help if she doesn't have an iPhone but apparently the apple watch is the best one. Any android ones are supposedly average at best.
  • Fitbit or garmin Vivoactive probably. Copied from dcrainmaker:
    Spoiler:
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • You'd wanna be up to some seriously greasy behaviour in the workplace to need a HR sensor.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I love my vivoactive 3. It gives me spark joy.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I like my Fitbits, been using them for ages, and am "inside" their universe. With them having been bought by Google, expect the data and services to get really really good for the newt 2-3 years before being discontinued and orphaned. I love Google in so many ways but they are fickle bastards, and cut the best products
  • I have some damp and mould in the corner of my room, and I’m quite sure this was caused by my humidifier, despite me keeping it at 55-60%, which I was led to believe was fine.

Is there a way to get rid of the mould? Am I right to presume this likely isn’t as bad as damp/mould that might occur without the use of a humidifier? I figure the serious cases come from within the wall, and therefore can’t just be painted over. If this just comes from an external source perhaps a layer of paint and dialing down the humidifier settings ought to be enough to fix it?
  • What colour mould? Regardless i think you need to kill it before painting over it, white vinegar can be effective.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any mould and mildew spray from the supermarket should get rid of it.
  • Yeah, don’t just paint over it. Get rid of the mould first. And until that’s done, switch off your humidifier.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Hypothetically, would it be bad if I just left it?
  • great, cheers. it's hard to tell the colour as I have 3 layers of plants obscuring the view so I can't get close, but it seems to be black and yellow
  • Somewhere a while ago i read black is bad, potentially harmful to health. But i'm not an expert and i'm sure there's lots of types of mould.
  • Its probably just surface level.
    I had similar in my kitchen between the wall and the folded up dining table. Steam from cooking got trapped in the gap.

Try to make sure there is airflow between your plants and the wall or moisture will build up. If you struggle to to find space for that then rotate stuff around once a week to stop long term build up.
  • I think Unc recommended some good screw type things for fixing shit to plasterboard. Can’t remember which thread, anyone know what they were?
  • Great, cheers!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    great, cheers. it's hard to tell the colour as I have 3 layers of plants obscuring the view so I can't get close, but it seems to be black and yellow

Sounds like that mould has been there a while if it's evolved into different plants ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!