Ask the Bear & Badger
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Arrghhh I think there's a mouse behind the lightswitch in our bedroom as there is intermittent sort of scratching coming from the wall.

What / how do I even go about beginning to solve this?

ACvTPJo.png
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Arrghhh I think there's a mouse behind the lightswitch in our bedroom as there is intermittent sort of scratching coming from the wall. What / how do I even go about beginning to solve this?

You will need to look for points of entry. A mouse can squeeze in very small spaces. Anything around 15-20mm is enough for a mouse to get in or out through.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How would a mouse get behind a light switch? Unless it's crawled through the cabling tube but that would be tough. Sure it's not just the scratching sound that a lose cable can make as it fizzles and pops?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it's a dry lined wall it could be in there.
  • I’m with Matty and thinking you call in the cats.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I have a friend who's a bit of a fiddler. I'll ask him this weekend if I'm talking to him. His advice will probably be "don't bother" but I might get a bit more out of him if he's on the gin.

Friend recommends that if you're starting out then a Stentor II (not a I) is a good fiddle. It's cheap but decent but if you continue on to a high level you'll want to change at some point. He says if you're playing trad music you'll be putting steel strings on it, so there isn't much point in spending a huge amount of money as the steel strings will make it sound a particular way regardless. He says when you get to the point that you understand tone etc then you'll want to be looking for a good second hand fiddle as they get better with age.
  • The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The looser the waistband the deeper the quicksand.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    "A flesh tuxedo" might be the worst / best lyric of all time.
  • Kow wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    I have a friend who's a bit of a fiddler. I'll ask him this weekend if I'm talking to him. His advice will probably be "don't bother" but I might get a bit more out of him if he's on the gin.

Friend recommends that if you're starting out then a Stentor II (not a I) is a good fiddle. It's cheap but decent but if you continue on to a high level you'll want to change at some point. He says if you're playing trad music you'll be putting steel strings on it, so there isn't much point in spending a huge amount of money as the steel strings will make it sound a particular way regardless. He says when you get to the point that you understand tone etc then you'll want to be looking for a good second hand fiddle as they get better with age.

Awesome, thanks Kow. I'll do a little reading and nab one of those, seems the ideal price range I was looking at.
  • Anyone getting age verification requirements in YouTube looking for either a bank card or photo ID to verify?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes. They can fuck off.
  • My thoughts exactly. I went back in and searched for the video again and could watch a different version of it no problem.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As I use Gpay a lot and I have a trial sub to Youtube premium they actually have my payment details so they can doubly fuck off if they think I'm going to put in more credit card information.
  • Printers:

Boring question, but can anyone recommend a decent, budget printer for everyday nonsense? Likely to be used for A4 b&w predominantly.

We currently have an 8 year old Canon, which was probably about £40 at the time. It still works OK, but the ink doesn't last especially long and it's £20 a pop just for black, so happy to pay a bit more if there is a more economical option out there.
  • I use a printer rarely, and used a hand-me-down inkjet which drove me mad 'cos the ink dries out without regular use and I had to spend a fortune in replacements which I never had when I needed them.

I bought a relatively cheap laser printer (a Samsung jobbie, but their printer business seems to have been bought by HP?) - the toner is expensive but never dries out, and I've yet to need to replace it two years later.

Also it works with Airplay and the Android equivalent and that is a bit like magic: print something wirelessly direct from phone!

Its colour and works well enough for photos to add to birthday cards etc.

If you're printing everyday inkjet is cheaper but if you're a once every couple of months guy like me buy laser
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/cv/instantink

I pay £2 a month and they automagically keep me stocked in ink (b&w + colour) with a wifi connection.  The printers covered by it are more expensive though. £200 or thereabouts.

I think that covers me for 50 pages a month which I have never hit and you get the 1st month free and can go over that limit. (you get a per page charge if you do after the 1st month). There's an online portal that gives you page usage info and a history. Not sure if it warns you but I've never gone over my limit.

Comes with an HP Smart App for phones and PC/laptops for scanning, printing from devices etc. There's a print from email too - you get your own personal email address for this. Never tried that though.

It might be a bit more than you need but thought I'd mention it.
  • It wont be for everyone but I gave up having a printer and just use publicly available ones instead.
    Libraries normally have printing services. Ryman do it as well as a fair few off licenses.
  • I'm in a similar boat to Davy but with a Brother. Bought it with a 1 years supply of ink but each refill lasted 6 months and one day so the second time I needed a refill I was told I'd have to buy a new subscription! Now I just fill it myself with the ink and syringes I bought from Amazon and haven't looked back.
    If you're considering inkjet, look for a model that has refillable cartridges either in the box or available online.
    They can be a bit more expensive though so then you have to weigh up inkjet vs laser.
    This post is actually quite unhelpful but I've typed it now so
  • Tell your brother to buy his own fucking printer.
  • I get laser printers. More expensive but the toner lasts longer and doesn’t dry up... because it’s dry.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have a Brother B/W laser printer. Cost about 50 quid I think and it's great. You can buy non-brand toner cartridges on Amazon, which work out really cheap and last for ages.
  • I have a brother.  I guess I could ask him to print stuff for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A monk locked in a piss dungeon with a printer.
  • We just bought an Epson "ecotank" printer cos the Canon one we had tore through the ink and fuck paying £30 every couple weeks. She does use it a lot for her business but still, jfc. The Epson wasn't cheap at £180 but will save us loads in the long run.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Epson is the worst brand of printer I've ever had. A useless shit piece of plastic.
  • Cheers chaps. Food for thought. Subscription model sounds interesting, but I don't think we would use it enough to justify, particularly given the initial outlay on a compatible printer.

Have tried inkjet, so may have a look at a lazer this time round. Ecotank sounds interesting as well though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!