Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Kow wrote:
    Do you have the latest version of Chrome? Sometimes it misbehaves if it's not up to date.
    Up to date apparently so who knows.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d imagine that Google updated the Chrome filters.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Pretty sure I got my memory foam mattress from IKEA for a bit over a ton and I love it, have had it for 5 years now. Not sure what paying a few more hundred quid would achieve.

I've an older Silentnight Miracoil and it's fine. Read lots of reviews saying its springcount's too low, and I wanted firm because mediums are the devil's work. I had a firm before and hated it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2792385
  • Blue light lens coating in glasses - that do anything or is it a big con? Optician wanted to charge me €50 for it which was the same price as the actual lenses.
  • I'd never heard of it, but it sounds like a big con. I thought it might be the same thing as anti glare coating, but it's not.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology says you don’t need them and has gone on record as not recommending any kind of special eyewear for computer users. The organization says blue light from digital devices does not lead to eye disease and doesn’t even cause eyestrain. The problems people complain about are simply caused by overuse of digital devices, it says.

“The symptoms of digital eye strain are linked to how we use our digital devices, not the blue light coming out of them,” the AAO says.

In the United Kingdom, the College of Optometrists says, “The best scientific evidence currently available does not support the use of blue-blocking spectacle lenses in the general population to improve visual performance, alleviate the symptoms of eye fatigue or visual discomfort, improve sleep quality or conserve macula health.”
  • Frosty wrote:
    Blue light lens coating in glasses - that do anything or is it a big con? Optician wanted to charge me €50 for it which was the same price as the actual lenses.

Think it’s a bit of a fomo swizz for a little bit of extra cash?
  • Yeah, that's definitely what it felt like. I'm bad in those sort of moments so obviously went for it but immediately felt like I was getting ripped off.

Thanks to Dante for googling that for my lazy butt
  • If someone passes away in a hospital or nursing home, wouldnt it be normal to want to stay with them overnight til they are being removed?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Everyone feels different with respect to that @Hodge360.

Sometimes practicalities get in the way. As far as I remember, a death cert needs issued before the person's remains are moved.  It may also depend on whether a autopsy is required too.

Only after that will the funeral director take the body away - after which the relatives are in control (funeral parlour or home), though embalming will happen at the funeral director's premises.

Things happen a great deal quicker here in NI since there is only 1.7m of us.

The tradition of staying overnight is historical - back to the time when judging whether someone is alive or not was a bit hit and miss.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cheers Davy. My dad passed yesterday evening and when they said he wouldn't be removed til today, I instantly thought he can't be left alone overnight. None of my 7 siblings thought about it at all. I just presumed it was a normal way of thinking! I guess it does vary though.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry for your loss, Hodge.
  • Sorry to hear that Hodge. Condolences and best wishes to you and the family.
  • Cheers guys. Been a long road but he's finally at peace.
  • My condolences Hodge :(

Hardest thing I ever went through
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • True Drew but wouldn't people want to stay? If they can't, they can't. I just couldn't fathom leaving him alone. But look, it's no big deal. YMMV n all that!

I'm in ROI so a doctor came to confirm death last night and will issue the cert. Home is waiting on the coroners go ahead to release his body to the undertakers.
  • Thanks Gonz
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sorry for your loss Hodge
  • Sorry Hodge. Awful news.

To echo others I think its going to vary person to person and even what they think they might do may well end up being different when faced with the choice.
  • I'm very sorry for your loss Hodge. 

my sincere condolences

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers guys.

I won't dwell on the staying thing. It's one of those "is what it is" things.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't been quite the same person since I lost my Dad. But I've come to the conclusion that that's OK. 

I have an idea of how much it hurts so you have my condolences.
    DrewMerson wrote:
    As far as I remember, a death cert needs issued before the person's remains are moved.
    That’s not entirely accurate, at least not here in Scotland. If there’s any doubt that a certificate will be issued, the body will remain in place until the Police take photographs / anything else required. Otherwise, the body will be uplifted and refrigerated fairly quickly. Certificates can take a bit longer.

Interesting. Again - it may be because things happen so much quicker here...but yeah if Police are involved etc I could see things happening quite differently here too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My condolences, Hodge.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Condolences Hodge, sorry for your loss. As others have said losing a parent is a sad loss and leaves you with a strange feeling that I still find very difficult to explain.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd say so, with moving bracket you're going to get a bit extra wear and tear on it, and the fixing is only as strong as the plasterboard. If you're going to go for one then the gripit fixings are probably best.

Here's what I was on about, noggins are the horizontal bits between the studs:

kS1ouRY.png

I ended up doing a compromise of this. Found the vertical studs and drilled into them, then fixed the frame using 7cm lag bolts. I reckon I could hang off it, let alone a 12kg TV.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Only took you until half 3 in the morning too, doddle.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I didn't start until midnight to be fair.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Was it a robot mower chat that happened a while back? I'm interested in a robot hoover - anyone got suggestions, or did that anyway get discussed somewhere??
  • I was asking about the robot hoovers. Kow has a Spanish one.
  • I always mention the dog dirt roomba png when this comes up, if we talked about it a while back I probably mentioned it then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!