Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Kids have got some surprise teacher training days on Monday and Tuesday (though I suspect it has more to do with wtaf Covid cases billowing through the local schools) so I’ve booked us for a day at Alton Towers on Monday. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what we do for food? Do we show our billy big cash or take a picnic? If we go with the latter can anyone advise on what the accepted type of sandwich or wrap would be? I’d hate to make a social faux pas and upset anyone with what we take.
  • Nnnnggggggggggg

HAM WRAPS!
  • But I’ve heard you can be publicly shamed for these?
  • Serious answer.
    I'm a go balls deep kinda guy. I would rather do less things and go full on than do stuff regularly and stretch it thin.

Although realise doing one thing stretched thin is all some people can afford.

That all said I bet the food at Alton Towers is shit anyway, certainly was when I went years ago, so probably more a logistics question than anything.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Looks like my boy is gonna be asking for a drawing tablet for Xmas. Some youtuber recommends Huion tablets. Anyone familiar with these and have any comments?
    The dedicated options mentioned in earlier posts will do you/him.
    But. If you want to kill two birds with one stone get an iPad that can use the Apple pen.
    They are as good if not better than the very expensive dedicated wacoms. But are a little personal computer at the same time.

My mate in an illustrator and he has a 3 grand wacom. My iPad Pro is more versatile as a daring tracker and useful for things besides drawing.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Looks like my boy is gonna be asking for a drawing tablet for Xmas. Some youtuber recommends Huion tablets. Anyone familiar with these and have any comments?
    The dedicated options mentioned in earlier posts will do you/him.
    But. If you want to kill two birds with one stone get an iPad that can use the Apple pen.
    They are as good if not better than the very expensive dedicated wacoms. But are a little personal computer at the same time.

My mate is an illustrator and he has a 3 grand wacom. My iPad Pro is more versatile as a drawing tablet and useful for things besides drawing.

Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • After all that there's an issue with the self-installation of the Virgin Media tinternets. The connection box in the flat is some old mid-90s "CableTel" box that doesn't want to play ball with me. Go into the live chat and they've got an engineer coming out.... Monday? Which is nice. Expected a much, much longer wait.

In the meantime, has anyone here managed to game online using their phone as a hot-spot? I've unlimited data with Three and hotspotting is included. Obviously not going to start trying to get chicken dinners or play super competitive stuff. Just need a connection to, uh, connect to things/services*

*I just want to play/manage my Ultimate Team, duh.
  • I went 2 years without 'internet' in the mid 2010s because I had unlimited 4g. I didn't ever tether it for online gaming but I did use it for everything else.
  • Yeah, I've done Destiny raids on mobile hotspots before.
  • It’s not quite the same, but 4G is all we have for our broadband. A wee plastic aerial on the roof. We manage to stream 4K movies no bother and it’s never caused me hassles playing online.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, I’ve gamed while tethered to my 4G signal. It worked absolutely fine. I’ve done a FNF or two like that.
  • Ah, Yoss, so that explains it... ;)

Heh. Cheers lads. I'll get by. First World probs, etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:

Coincidentally I just bought one of these for my daughter for Christmas. HUION Inspiroy H950P, don't know how good it is but I did some googling of reviews beforehand and that one seemed to come out on top on the balance of quality and cost.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm considering mounting the TV on the wall. It's a plaster board wall and the TV is just over 12kg. I'm looking at a tilt and swivel mount so there will be some cantilever action going on. Would it be safe to hang just using those metal plasterboard anchor fittings that compress into a star like grip hen tightened, or do I need to find the wooden frame to screw into?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Plasterboard fixings are varying degrees of shite. I'd stick a noggin in between the joists and fix it to that instead. Messier, and it'll need plastering, but it's a proper job
  • Thanks Liv, panty and goobs. Some stuff to think about.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's a noggin in this context?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bit of wood, 2x4 or something else you'd like to screw into
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cheers, sounds like a big messy job though. I'm probably only going to be in the property for just over 2 years, still worth it?
  • I'm considering mounting the TV on the wall. It's a plaster board wall and the TV is just over 12kg. I'm looking at a tilt and swivel mount so there will be some cantilever action going on. Would it be safe to hang just using those metal plasterboard anchor fittings that compress into a star like grip hen tightened, or do I need to find the wooden frame to screw into?

Although Sparky is belt and bracing it I can absolutely guarantee those grip things will absolutely do the job. You can get some that are rated up to 65kg per fixing. The ones that appeared on dragons den are the ones we use a lot. We have a super fancy mirror that I couldn’t lift on my own and that’s hung on a stud wall using 2 of those fixings. They’ll be perfect for your needs.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd say so, with moving bracket you're going to get a bit extra wear and tear on it, and the fixing is only as strong as the plasterboard. If you're going to go for one then the gripit fixings are probably best.

Here's what I was on about, noggins are the horizontal bits between the studs:

kS1ouRY.png
  • Yeah but he has to get the plasterboard off to get that in? Surely, that’s not the easiest solution for a normal
    DIY job?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Of course, that's why I mentioned it. The easiest solution isn't always the best, it depends on the plasterboard as I've said, but you've given Goobs your absolute guarantee now so I'm sure it'll be grand
  • Ha! Good spot on my exuberance. I’m going off my experience with these things and you with yours.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I hate plasterboards. The amount of shite fixings I've seen over the years doesn't give me any faith in the bastards
  • You do know I’m going to be posting here tomorrow morning about that 90kg mirror falling off the plasterboard wall overnight now, don’t you?
  • Fucking bound to happen now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Seven years bad luck.

Like you say though, you can only go off your own experience with these things, and they've worked for you

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!