Ask the Bear & Badger
  • We used the guide alluded to by ERE and it answered our qs alright. Basically if your wall is within a certain distance (or on) the boundary, and is over 2m, it’s a party wall
  • Thanks I know what I a party wall is, I just need to try and clarify if what I doing requires me to serve notice under the act to my neighbours.

Basically I'm attaching some audio soundproofing boards and aqua boards to create a murder room shower. I'm not cutting into or even drilling into the party wall so I and building control (ha) say that's fine.

However the act is the realm of surveyors and it does mention making walls deeper requires consent, I'm hoping my work doesn't count as this but....

My neighbour is a bitter women and will make it as difficult and expensive for me as possible.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Build murder room. Kill neighbour.
  • Build a new neighbour.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it means making the brickwork thicker. Plastering already doesn't count so I don't see how your work would count, especially if it doesn't involve drilling. It doesn't affect the structural strength of the wall at all.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Build murder room. Kill neighbour.

The missus is pretty close to doing this, especially as we have the suspicion she injured Pip with spade, when we thought he'd been hit by a car.
    Can-of-sprite
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think it means making the brickwork thicker. Plastering already doesn't count so I don't see how your work would count, especially if it doesn't involve drilling. It doesn't affect the structural strength of the wall at all.

That's what I believe also.

The alternative option to doing what we want is we install a fuck off massive stereo system there. The while reason we want to do something with that wall is we can hear everything currently from her house, and vice versa, she constantly moans about it!

Can-of-sprite
  • Needing help/advice. Am curious.

In the off chance me & Shona get a flat in the near future, is there a site I can go to to start the ball rolling and/or check what's available when it comes to utilities? Of course, it's not the physical moving of all my worldly possessions that's worrying me, it's the chance I may be without a working broadband connection for a time. Any help/advice appreciated. Cheers.
  • There's probably something on Money Saving Expert.

Oh, and ask SG who he's with so you know to avoid them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you mean to check what speeds etc are available at a potential address?
  • Skade wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:

That's what I believe also.

The alternative option to doing what we want is we install a fuck off massive stereo system there. The while reason we want to do something with that wall is we can hear everything currently from her house, and vice versa, she constantly moans about it!

Sorry misunderstood. Right well this page https://www.gov.uk/party-walls-building-works/work-tell-your-neighbour-about is what we went by. Even drilling would be fine for shelves etc. If you’re just sticking stuff on there is no problem as far as I can tel
  • If you're after a recommendation for a broadband supplier then Zen tops the Which? charts.  I've been with them for a year or so now and have no complaints.  If you're trying to figure out the process for enabling broadband at a rented property as quickly as possible then I'm really not sure, sorry.  That said, it would do no harm to phone one of the providers, explain the circumstances and ask them.

EDIT:  @gav
  • Do you mean to check what speeds etc are available at a potential address?

Not just that but leccy/gas etc. Not too fussed about actual speed. I thought there'd be a place to check everything out.

But I'll keep that name in mind, Unlikely, cheers.
  • Been 20 years since I rented but unless things have changed, in terms of leccy, gas etc. you're responsible for whatever the landlord has in place already, i.e. you don't need to do anything other than pay the bills.
  • Compare the market have an energy section but it's currently suspended due to the current energy crisis as suppliers cut the available tariffs.

There's probably other comparison sites out there if you give it a google. Think money supermarket probably do it.

You can switch supplier even if you're renting.
  • https://www.moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/

They also do comparisons for broadband and home insurance for your contents if that's something you'd be wanting.
  • Yeah I checked 4 or 5 comparison sites for energy yesterday.
    They are all fucked.
    Either down or barely showing any deals.

Odds are unless already on a fixed rate tariff we will all be paying the top end of the energy price cap for the foreseeable future.
  • I've an account on meerkat from when I done my car insurance so I'll no doubt go back to them. That's an interesting point, re just paying what's already there. Since they're all fucked I'll see if that's an option just to save hassle for now.
  • Its a really tricky time.
    Prices are high right now and likely to rise again for most within the next few weeks, probably up to or near the price cap.
    Then possibly/probably go up again in April when the price cap increases.
    Wholesale prices should hopefully go down before April but suppliers will want to claw money back as they are currently losing money on every unit sold

Its a chuffing mess.

I would stick to Internet. Don't forget contents insurance as well. It doesn't cost much and well worth having.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah I checked 4 or 5 comparison sites for energy yesterday.
    They are all fucked.
    Either down or barely showing any deals.

Odds are unless already on a fixed rate tariff we will all be paying the top end of the energy price cap for the foreseeable future.

According to Martin Lewis, the comparison sites do deals with the suppliers to show certain deals but not every single tariff. Therefore they aren't working properly with the current issues
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Cheers.
    That'll be it then. I thought it would be something like that for the ones that actually functioned.
  • We got a flat! Shit!
  • Call the RAC if you have trouble removing the wheel. Do you have a space saver or a replacement wheel?
  • Awesome :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Congrats Gav!
  • That's great news.  Congrats, Gav!
  • Brilliant news Gav
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!