Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Thread of Win
  • Me too. Can has your offcuts plx?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Ha I'll try and remember next month during shearing time.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Guys, try Angel's Sample Combo 7 for a lark.

I can do 2x EWGF into d/b+2 fair enough, but not once have I landed the jab. I tend to pick Jin for my training dummy because he's Jin. He's no Xiaoyu, though, so I'm not sure why it seems impossible.

When the CPU does it, Mokky goes back up higher after the second 'lec. I've tried it early and whiffed under Jin and out the other side. The trick seems to be getting as deep as possible underneath with the second Geoff, and then maybe hitting d/b+2 in the last few juggle frames to maximise its relaunch height.

The jab looks like it should hit most of the time. I reckon I'll Han it or wait for Violet.
  • Been slowly grinding some ranked to try and level up. 30% win ratio so far! woooo!

i can sort of give the better players a bit of game, but the moment someone comes on spamming 1 move i fall to pieces hehe.

still enjoying the game, and the wakeup stuff is falling into place now, i vaguely know what i'm supposed to do at least.
  • Smang, you're probably better off playing player matches to learn anything useful. I'm only persisting with ranked matches because of the integration with the WTF site and team levelling and stuff. 

It's true what you say about learning to deal with it. In SF4 you have to learn how to deal with people who just constantly mash on SRK for example. Which you eventually learn to anticipate or bait and punish accordingly. The only thing in Tekken is that the main online offenders either have a lot of 10f stuff that is safe (Hi Law) or quickish strings with high pushback which makes them safe (Hi Lars!), or characters like Eddy which unless you actually know the character are extremely hard to read once they start flipping about. Which takes longer to deal with just learning to expect an SRK every time you put someone in blockstun. 

In the end you just learn to duck the high strings and punish with a low and when to low parry or block and block and punish the most commonly used.

Your own character selection can have an impact on how easy this is to do. Dragunov has some long ass legs and reasonably quick pokes with his kicks that are useful for punishing, or poking from beyond some characters jab range. Wang on the other hand is a tiny old man and can't even hit you with a 10f jab from the starting position, unlike normal size characters, so you have to duck and weave to get close and then use one of his useful low pokes to interrupt. 

That reminds me, you can get an early advantage in lots of matches against players hitting buttons by doing any 10f string that can reach the opponent on round start. So for example Drag can do 1,2,1 at round start, if the opponent presses something that isn't a 10f jab they eat a counterhit combo into knockdown. 

I would say though that Ranked in Tekken is probably more annoying than almost any other fighting game because the main offenders are so fucking petulent to behold it almost makes you want to vomit, Eddy is just a cunt, the Laws' Bruce Lee squealing quickly starts to grate and Lars repeat backsway into sweep or flying knee launcher mixup attempts are borderline criminal in their safety.

Escape, re the Angel combo I don't have access to her right now as I got no DLC codes, but Aris claimed the other day that Dr. B and co and possibly the other DLC characters are being unlocked next week on the 9th. 

Does the combo need a counterhit to launch maybe? Although I think if a sample combo requires a counterhit to start it says that already.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Wang on the other hand is a tiny old man

kK3H4.jpg

Escape, re the Angel combo I don't have access to her right now as I got no DLC codes

Oh, of course.

I've always been under the impression that Mokujin performs a charge to indicate CH? He doesn't here, so I think it's a normal combo. I'll try again with someone like King.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Angel's a sweet mover, by the way. The most fun Mish by far, but I'm sure the weakest.

It's much too early to say, but I go along with the general community vibe that Solo's stronger than Tag for the time being.

In the original Tag, your secondary had a major effect on damage output; ending your combo with ol' Bruce's knees was big business. But Tekken 6 was already a juggle-happy engine and game. I don't feel the disparity's quite enough between Tag and Solo combos, but if it was greater, the tables might spin right around.

If it hasn't changed from the latest cab version, Tag chars have 165 health each, versus 230 for the lone ranger. Or 230 plus Rage versus 330. Tag Crash and Quick Tag can be baited and punished, and I think that's what high-level matches hinge on (if Solo's allowed): whether or not the Solo can make pre-Rage inroads.

That extra health is only good for as long as you can afford to take damage in removing your live character from play. Because without that health buffer to escape in desperation, you can easily be at a disadvantage against Solos with decent health. I can top 80 on a juggle with Lee, or 100+ if a wall helps me out. I'm only netting an extra 15 or so with a partner.

The greatest benefit of a partner is being able to trade unavoidable wall attacks for glancing damage on a far-landing Crash.
  • Wow I had no idea Angel was a mishima character? I had her pegged as some sort of Devil Jim/Jun hybrid. Interesting. On the subject of Mishimas (by the loosest possible definition) I am quite enjoying the challenge of Jinpachi, although having come from primarily pokey pokey Drag and Jack getting used to a whiff punishment style of play is taking some getting used to. Thank god Namco gave him a reversal and a teleport. 

On the subject of solo being stronger, theres a link to an ATP vid on dealing with solo characters in the OP, which also covers some of the reasons why the lack of a partner is looking more and more like an overall weakness as the game develops. 

With regard to baited raw tags and tag crashes, yes, these are fully punishable, however I am rarely seeing teams raw tag or tag crash anymore unless it's the last resort. For me it's the solo players inability to take away red health from the tag team that hurts them. For me, even though they do more damage and the tag team only have 100ish more health overall, the tag team are never presented with a situation where their red health is at stake. Unlike the solo character. These days when I play against a solo character, and that is becoming a lot less common online, at least in the murky low level depths of ranked, I tend to sit back and look for the tag bufferable launch opportunity, so that not only am I doing damage, I only do damage that the solo player can't recover where possible. 

A freaking ton of videos also need to be posted from ATP and LUYG which have appeared over the last couple of days, so here you go everybody:

ATP - Tag Crash Tutorial

ATP - Spacing and Whiff Punishment Guide

ATP - Understanding Frame Data Tutorial

LUYG - Morning Bread and Butter - Jun Kazama

LUYG - Morning Bread and Butter - Paul Phoenix

LUYG - Morning Bread and Butter - P. Jack

LUYG - Mornign Bread and Butter - Alex

EDIT: There are also some combo videos floating about from the last week or so, which I'll collate later and stick in a post. I'm going to keep the combo vids out o fthe OP though because over time there will be loads.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Devil Jim

And forever more he'll be!
  • Epic typo is epic. Makes him sound much less awesome. I hope in T7 we get a Gary Mishima.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've been calling Jin Jean for years. The announcer started it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Jean, Gaz and Jim. CITV.
  • Here's a match video between Hao and Knee, two of the top Japanese players going at it. 

The way they make poking and whiff punishing look so easy and safe is ridiculous!

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My stick's off on another Voyage Voyage to America. Hopefully soon to return with a better player at the wheel.

And super-sweet switching.
  • Nice man, post some more pics when it gets back!

Here's a really interesting video demonstrating that you can take red life if you tag after a crumple stun. Seems like you have enough time to tag out and have your partner come in and perform a move that picks up. 

• True stuff Rouj, i just wanted to go on ranked as people generally try the cheapest shit to win from my experience in other fighting games. 

You are right though, more than most other fighters you really need to be aware of certain matchups for some of the 'mashier' characters like Lili/Eddy etc.

It has also opened my eyes to the fact i struggle with the characters added since T4, as i didn't really play tekken between Tag 1 and T6 bar a brief foray into 5 online on the ps3. I still have some familiarity with the rest of the cast.

Miguel confuses me with his movement, as does Zafina - and Bob seems to be either made out of flubber or soap. Don't even get me started on Lars and Alisa flying all over the place!
  • Smang check out the ATP video on spacing and whiff punishing. I think with proper spacing and backdash control, somethign I'm definitely going to have to invest in learning, you can essentially negate their movement BS by removing yourself from striking range and then punsihing them if they start pressing buttons.
  • i'll watch it when i can, have to wait till home or everyones left the office or summat.

what you said though is essentially how i try to play the game - but creating space between you and opponent isn't as straightforward as holding up-back :( my lack of skill regarding movement becomes painfully apparent on the smaller stages.
  • I struggle too, especially as the asshole characters you encounter in ranked looking to cheese you out are almost constantly coming forward at you. 

God I hate those guys! Must train harder with old men bff team and smash them in their stupid fucking faces.
  • haha, i've profited somewhat online by picking jaycee then doing f+3, 1+2 over and over.

what's kings cheapest spammable shit? he's doesn't seem to have much in that area.
  • Stagger kicks, db4,4,4,4 and then that mid punch ender or whatever the input it. Totally wrecks up the scrubs real talk. Or hit them with giant swings over and over for that easy 65 damage.
  • haha, i've been avoiding the staggers as they seem uber unsafe on block. been using his db+3 sweep instead, i think the startup animation freaks people out and on CH you get a nice combo from it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    One d+3+4 into 2 is reasonably okay every once in a while. But King's a stand-up fighter. If you get carried away with lows you're not buffering throws and scaring people.

Spammable (within reason) moves include...

1,2 (d/f+1,2 if there's time)
    b+1 (fast punisher)
    d+4 (for the odd chip)
    FC d/f+2 (decent tracking)
    f+3:1+2
    f+4 at max range
    f~f~F+2+4 at range
    f~f~F+3+4 at range

Lili has (had - they might've improved it) poor tracking. Fighting her is a combination of hard-turtle blocking, sidestepping her lunging moves, timing your siderolls when grounded, and BDCing whenever you expect her close-range mix-ups.

Capo characters have fantastic priority if you don't shut down their moves that have longer start-ups. Plenty of mids and keepaway, but more aggression when they're on the backfoot.
  • Found back-dashing and immediately d/f 1 launcher (with Duk) was getting me loads of free damage in Ghost Battles this afternoon. Just the computer to go on so nothing mind blowing but the idea of being able to be on the defensive retreat and still take a third off someone's health is a wicked mechanic and a cool tool to have. 

Also created Karate Elvis Drag, needs a microphone or hamburger to complete him really.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dook has one of the farthest-travelling backdashes.

I have Lee in white Speedos with a bears sign.
  • Gg's Rouj, gonna have to get some Drag tips from you. (Or Sensei Scape if he has any knowledge to drop). Here's Karate Gi Elvis. Needs Cheeseburger for sure, giant pizza might have to suffice. 

dragelvis.jpg
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Or Sensei Scape if he has any knowledge to drop

Should have, but don't. I cover maybe a third of 'em: the ones I've enjoyed using at one time or another, and the ones I've had trouble against. Drag was always one of my least-encountered in Dark Res (I didn't play T6 Ranked).

Knowledge-wise, from most to least: Lee, BaeKing, Kazuya, Paul and Raven.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mitsu's always made great combo videos, but now he's the best around (nothing's gonna ever keep him down). A lot of these are CH-only, but sacrifice damage for high-execution sex.

Nobody does it better than Lee. Nobody styles it half as good.
  • Dragunov stuff for Pez:

Pokey Stuff:

b+3 - High, but good range, fast and safe on block. It also moves Dragunov a step closer to the opponent. 
    df+4 - Excellent mid poke, good range agaion. At max range on block I sometimes like to buffer in a WR2, that will catch most people if they start pressing jab to try and punish you, their jab will whiff and they eat a punch in the fuck. 
    d+3 - A great round ender, long range low poke. Also d3,4 is an excennt back roll catch. 

HOLY SHIT THAT HURT YOU RUSSIAN BASTARD:

qcf1 - learn this. On hit it causes crumple which you can then float into whatever, I think at it's fastest this is 13f, but being a qcf your execution may affect this. It is horrible on whiff though, and not great on block. But one of drags deffo go to whiff punishers as it leads to guaranteed big damage when you hit it. 
    qcb2 - An awkward move to use, but useful when people are almost in your face, drag will kind of sway back, then back in and elbow the opponent. The back sway part often causes jabs and stuff to whiff and the move launches when it hits. If you whiff it you are wide open, though it might (iirc) be safe on block, or at least not too hideous. 
    iWR2 - Instant while running 2. Learn what moves you can buffer WR2 off. WR2 is unsafe on block but the pushback is so immense there is almost nothing that most opponents can do, certainly I can't remember ever having it punished on block unless I did it at the wall. So don't do it at the wall. 
    b4,3 - Range the same as df4. Not quick, but a great whiff punisher, it absolutely wrecks a mofo. Srs like 50 damage or something into knock away. 
    CH1,2,1 - Drag's 1,2,1 is one of the best 10f strings in the game, against a scrub, just do it at round start. The first 2 hits are safe on block. On counterhit (CH) the string jails so your opponent has no chance to block the last hit and I think it causes a hard knockdown on CH as well, so they can't tech away instantly.

Sneaky Russian:
    You can hide his grabs everywhere! during db3 if you press 1+2 you will end with a low grab, not a sweep. Condition people to block low (warning the sweep is quite easy to parry if you are playing someone good) and then start ending the sweep with the throw. 
    On his b4,1,2, string you can press 1+2 AFTER the 2 to change the last hit to the same throw as if you do WR2,1+2.
    YTou can cancel the above grab ender by holding back after inputting the throw. Drag will spin, but not grab. You are then free to mixup into whatever, usually another throw really pisses people off lol. 
    Whenever you are face down face toward, 1+2, 1+2 will make dragunov crawl into his tackle where you can then do whatever option you like to finish. Your opponent can still break the tackle though as per normal, but it takes people by surprise. 
    If you just press 1+2 when face down drag crawls forward and gets to his feet. If you are facing away this can mitigate some characters oki setups allowing you to get away for free, but you will get to your feet back turned if you crawl away so be ready to either do cane stab d+3 or turn round or bt hopkick, whatever. 
    Uf3+4 - Drag jumps forward and scissor locks you. It's a fairly slow throw, BUT IT CANT BE BROKEN. EVER.
    Drag's ub2 evasive strike includes a sidestep. If you do sidestep then ub2 you end up effectively sidestepping twice  which leaves you with the opponent being sideturned. If you are lucky you can then side grab or launch punish them if you made them whiff something.

Oki stuff:
    d4,4 huge range on this and will fully connect with all back rolls. 
    d3,4 same as above
    db4,1,2 - shit I forgot the notation, but the move where drag does a low sweep then spinning backhands the opponent. This will pick up people trying to back roll. 
    d+2, shot range but tracks left and right and will catch people trying to side roll. 
    WR2 - again, smashes back rolls up. Useful follow up after you knock someone back with b4,3 for example.

Random stuff:
    d3 is guaranteed after his 1+3 throw.
    db4,1,2 or whatever the notation is is guaranteed after uf4 and f3+4.
    uf1 > f1+2 > wr2 > d2 > ws4> d4,4 is an epic sequence. You dont need to do the uf1 part, but it creates enough room to do f1+2 and have it counterhit stuff. F1+2 causes like a knockback ground bounce on CH and you can then do the WR2 sequence I noted afterwards, it's a really nice fairly easy way to take 40% off someone. 

Here's  a link to the T6 LUYG Drag vid which is still relevant and has tons of input from Aris for bonus points:

EDIT: I was ill all weekend so haven't updated the latest videos. Will post them later on. ATP did a how to get up off the floor video though so rejoice Tekken newcomers everywhere!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Team America:

Had a big old smile on my face through this one:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!