The B&B Book Review
  • Memories of Ice is definitely my favourite Malazan book. That or Deadhouse. Definitely one of those two. Or one of the others.

Soooo....any of them really?!

I also forgot to mention that I'm loving finding out what The Crippled God is up to. A really interesting dynamic.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just bought that Skagboys on Kindle. I do like Welsh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm about a quarter in, its a good read.
  • I hated the Mhybe, thought it was a rare misstep for SE, she's just too whiny for me to give a shit about.

Bauchalain and Korbal Broach are awesome, their spin off series of short stories is worth getting at some point in the future. Finish first though. You must finish.
  • Memories of Ice is definitely my favourite Malazan book. That or Deadhouse. Definitely one of those two. Or one of the others.
    Soooo....any of them really?!

They're all pretty special, although Deadhouse and Memories had the most memorable moments for me. Or maybe Midnight Tides, or House of Chains, or... ffs. These books do funny things to me. 

Started The Darkness That Comes Before this week (thanks DJR), and it's a good 'un. I'm about a quarter of the way through atm, and already the history, religion, and politics are more interesting and better realised than in most other fantasy series I've read. 

I'm fucked if I could pronounce half the names/places I've come across so far though.
  • It's so hard to pick a particular Malazan book because they all feature pivotal, often heart wrenching moments.

I find that the difference between SE and GRRM is that when SE kills someone off, he's crying whilst he does it but I always got the feeling that GRRM punishes his characters out of jealously/sadistic pleasure.

@stormy - Most of it seems to be derived from Latin or Scandinavian. I found it hard to follow at first, he does some very interesting stuff with Kellhus.
  • Finished The Lady in the Lake the other day. Excellent all around. Probably my favourite of all of the Marlowe stories. Am nearly done with The Little Sister, which also has an individual character to it that is pleasing. It is partially based in the film world and it is a joy to have Marlowe be a total bastard to dozens of secretaries and studio heads.

I also read Meditations in an Emergency by Frank O Hara, which is a very slender bit of poetry. I read it in a very sleepy mood and it added nicely to my dreams. I don't know all that much about poetry, but I really like way this reads as almost prose.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I find Frank O Hara a pain in the tits and have done for several years. I know I'm in the minority here though.
  • @TheDJR:  I've only encountered Kellhus in the excellent but somewhat confusing prologue so far, I admit to having had a quick peek at Wikipedia to help make sense of a couple of things. I apologise. I won't do it again.

Finding good maps of the Three Seas online however has been a godsend, the Kindle maps are next to useless.
  • Yeah, try to resist, it all comes together nicely. Especially the way it gradually reveals the different layers of history. I liked the way he handled the use of magic, always difficult to balance and write in fantasy.
  • I'm impressed with what I've seen of the magic in this, although being so early in the story I don't suppose RSB's scratched the surface. SE's Warrens/holds have been, unsurprisingly, my favourite up to now.
  • Neuromancer
    Do I need to read this? I hate anime, love Blade Runner, matrix.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • It's closer to Inception than those.
  • The Little Sister had probably the best ending of any of the Marlowe novels I have read, which is all but Playback. Probably the most vulnerable Marlowe has been in any of 'em. Maybe my favourite, although the Long Goodbye is hard to beat.

I finished Without Feathers by Woody Allen. The high point was "What If the Impressionists Were Dentists?" or "The Whore of Mensa." First is ridiculous, ridiculous, funny. Vincent Van Gogh falls in love with the mouth of a patient, which is beautiful, but not too perfect. Ends up cutting his ear off due to some dentistry mishap. Second is send up of Chandler and the rest of the Hardboiled Detective crowd. Fertile ground for silly jawing, of course, but done very well. Makes me want to watch Play It Again Sam again.

I am a hundred pages into Women by Bukowski. It is not tickling my humour centre as much as the past two, but it has a serious track on making all of these crude realities feel good. I particularly like the blackhead paragraph.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Neuromancer Do I need to read this?

Absolutely not.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I've been slowly making my way through The God Debates, by John Shook. It's a very mixed bag. Some of it excellent and clear, other bits, in trying to lay out the arguments using formal logic. P1 P2 P3 then C etc. Tend to just either confuse things, or, on a couple of occasions misrepresent what people generally mean by the argument. And in general it's the supernaturalist/believer side that's coming out the worse for wear.

Shook is himslef an atheist, although one with a fair bit of beef with those who would call themselves New, but it's not a good look when I can see some unfairness in his characterisation of the supernaturalist arguments.

Anyhoo, as I say, some sections are better than others.

Still, next on the list is a book on the foundations of our morality from the wider animal kingdom, who's name eludes me right now. Looking forward to it.

Gave up on God Debates. Was doing my head in. on to The Origins of Virtue, by Matthew Ridley. Early days, but it's fascinating so far, and not dry at all. Really engaging writing so far. Keep up the good work, matt, please.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Women is Bukowski at his crudest and most unpalatable. A lot of people find it a difficult book. It can certainly feel like he's deliberately challenging you at times, which is entirely possible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My holiday reading arrived - Billy Lynn's Long halftime Walk. Was given a very favourable Guardian review at the weekend, placing it as some sort of modern Catch-22 (note, it won't be a modern Catch-22).

Don't know much of anything about it, so intrigued!
  • I'm currently reading 'Salems Lot. Im about 30% of the way through and it's creeped me out a few times. Never seen the film so it's all fresh to me.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Brooks wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    Neuromancer Do I need to read this?

Absolutely not.

You don't need to, but its an entertaining read while you do.

Started reading 'The Blade Itself' by Joe Abercrombie. Its not what I expected it to be. Was expecting grim-faced fantasy epic, am getting knockabout fantasy larks. Readable enough though.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Abercrombie's stuff improves with every entry.
  • It really does, that trilogy improves so much.

How is his standalone stuff? I've never read them but I would like to.
  • Good, they're very polished, it's all set in the same universe anyway so they feature returning characters.
  • Kow wrote:
    Women is Bukowski at his crudest and most unpalatable. A lot of people find it a difficult book. It can certainly feel like he's deliberately challenging you at times, which is entirely possible.

Yeah, I'm nearly finished it and it is extremely crude, extremely violent and unpleasant. I am not going to look into how close this relates to his life, as it is a book of terrible and compelling honesty. But I am not looking forward to whether he really felt being so terribly violent towards women is excusable / laudable or a provoker of much insight. It's certainly a case of wishing to provoke his audience, but I wonder to what end. I'm also finding it far more repetitive than the last two. Bukowski detailing how great a writer he is robs him of his best comedy weapon from the previous two, being the number of strange situations he gets into as a result of needing to work to get money for beer.
  • Reading The Santaland Diaries, which is all of David Sedaris' Christmas themed stories. It contains this one, which is quite peculiar and packs a very, very black comedy punch.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:

Yeah, I'm nearly finished it and it is extremely crude, extremely violent and unpleasant. I am not going to look into how close this relates to his life, as it is a book of terrible and compelling honesty. But I am not looking forward to whether he really felt being so terribly violent towards women is excusable / laudable or a provoker of much insight. It's certainly a case of wishing to provoke his audience, but I wonder to what end. I'm also finding it far more repetitive than the last two. Bukowski detailing how great a writer he is robs him of his best comedy weapon from the previous two, being the number of strange situations he gets into as a result of needing to work to get money for beer.

It's a book which is better in hindsight. In a sense it seems to be the book he was building towards, completely unrestrained. I see it as Bukowski ripping humankind down to the basest of levels, daring other writers to come anywhere near him.
  • Right at the end of Memories of Ice and almost had a Metal Gear Solid experience on the train home...
    Spoiler:

The choice of perspective for this moment was also very powerful.
  • I felt like I'd been gut punched. In fact, the last hundred pages or so were read in a state of bewilderment.
  • I completely agree, haven't quite finished but it has been both an incredible and also shocking series of events.
  • Same, Erikson excels at those kind of scenes. Kallor is still a cool character though, SE is also great at generating sympathy for villains.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!