The B&B Book Review
  • Salem's Lot is getting increasingly creepy.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Salem's Lot was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager.  Not read any Stephen King in about 20 years though.  My mother used to confiscate them and hide them in the attic and I used to go and retrieve them when she was out then hide them at the back of my wardrobe.
  • belzec-sobibor-treblinka-the-operation-reinhard-death-camps.jpg
    Obviously due to subject matter it's unremittingly grim. Lurid cover might seem slightly cheap but it's a fantastic book if you can put up with the truly depressing nature of the whole thing. Three camps set up purely for the purpose of wiping out the Polish Jews - approximately 2 million, 1.2 million in 1942 alone, mostly dead within an hour of arrival at the camps, unless they were tasked with the unpleasant job(s) of disposing/burning of corpses (for which they'd be shot afterwards so as to remove any potential future testimonies), removing gold teeth from the dead or sorting through the mountains of personal possessions stolen from the victims and sent back to Germany. The accounts of escapes and such like provide occasional chinks of light but it's pretty bleak overall. not that you'd expect much else from the subject matter.

It's a purely factual account though, everything meticulously checked by the author as much as records and interviews could allow (the number of survivors was very small) and obviously the results of years of painful research.

I read when I was about 15 for GCSE history and decided to buy the kindle version as I'd forgotten the details, although the unrelentingly depressing nature of the books content stayed with me. I can't do it justice actually, I'm not eloquent enough. It's a great book though, not one you'd want to delve into on a regular basis all the same.
  • Salem's Lot was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager.  Not read any Stephen King in about 20 years though.  My mother used to confiscate them and hide them in the attic and I used to go and retrieve them when she was out then hide them at the back of my wardrobe.

Ha, I imagine as a teen it was even more frightening. It's so well written, you just get a sense of dread over the events that are happening, building up to something.
  • True, though the most terrifying was actually Pet Sematary, which I used to read by torchlight under the duvet in a clandestine attempt to avoid detection, accompanied by a paper bag of cola/pineapple cubes.
  • I think I'm going to work my way through a few of them.
  • There's plenty to choose from, that's for sure.
  • Ha, there are indeed! Probably stick to more famous ones first, and those I haven't seen the films of.
  • There's a really bad film of Pet Sematary out there somewhere.  That's what comes of giving away film rights for $1.
  • Am having quite some fun with:

tumblr_ldfryvboSc1qaouh8o1_400.jpg
  • @Igor

The film version's inadvertently hilarious. Although that kid's still creepy. I also remember the book scaring the shit outta me, around the age of 14 or so. 

Particularly: 
    Spoiler:
  • @Brooks - I've been meaning to acquire this for some time now.  I've come across many of the case studies already, as they've been featured in various other books/articles over the years but Sacks usually has plenty interesting to say.
  • Aye, he's lovely.
  • @stormy

Dunno if you realise but Erikson's first book in the Kharkanas trilogy is out at the end of this month. Forge of Darkness.
  • 519VkmH%2BmuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Guessing you all read this a long time ago. But I'm reading it now. It's good.
  • It's a book which is better in hindsight. In a sense it seems to be the book he was building towards, completely unrestrained. I see it as Bukowski ripping humankind down to the basest of levels, daring other writers to come anywhere near him.

I finished it last night. I don't know if it reduces humanity down, but it does reduce Bukowski to an unflattering level. One of the bothers is the lack of outright self-loathing, or accurate self-directed anger. A lot of it is arousing, vicious, and honest. But I find a lot of his speaking about how one should write to get in the way of it feeling as if it is a pure product of a fellow without humanity. I very much liked the page or so near the conclusion when he does a little of this. Could have done with more. Don't know if I liked it yet.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    @stormy Dunno if you realise but Erikson's first book in the Kharkanas trilogy is out at the end of this month. Forge of Darkness.

Aye, I've got it on preorder at Amazon. They're doing it for a good price if you haven't got it on order yourself.
  • Got it down too. Looking forward to seeing what exactly happened.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a book which is better in hindsight. In a sense it seems to be the book he was building towards, completely unrestrained. I see it as Bukowski ripping humankind down to the basest of levels, daring other writers to come anywhere near him.

I finished it last night. I don't know if it reduces humanity down, but it does reduce Bukowski to an unflattering level. One of the bothers is the lack of outright self-loathing, or accurate self-directed anger. A lot of it is arousing, vicious, and honest. But I find a lot of his speaking about how one should write to get in the way of it feeling as if it is a pure product of a fellow without humanity. I very much liked the page or so near the conclusion when he does a little of this. Could have done with more. Don't know if I liked it yet.

It's not exactly a book to like. He writes honestly about his pathetic existence without being proud of anything except his writing. In which he is correct - his prose may be unequalled by anybody.
  • P'raps. I'll get into the next one when I get back home. He's an exciting writer, but there are a good few writers working in the same kind of style that I'd hold in high regard. Am going to start Naked Lunch tonight. Are you a fan of Hunter Thompson?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tore through Billy Lynn in two days. It's not Catch 22 although it is saying a lot of humorous things about the Iraq war.

Got quite dark in places, whole novel takes place over four hours and I really liked it. Good times.
  • Finished Memories of Ice last night. The whole end sequence was incredible and I particularly loved the Epilogue, espcially the last line of the book. It was full of incredible, heart-felt moments, violent action, amazing twists and some of my favourite characters ever. I particularly love the banter/gallows humour amongst the main soldiers.

Most jaw-dropping moments:
    Spoiler:

Already started House of Chains.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    P'raps. I'll get into the next one when I get back home. He's an exciting writer, but there are a good few writers working in the same kind of style that I'd hold in high regard. Am going to start Naked Lunch tonight. Are you a fan of Hunter Thompson?

Yeah, I enjoy Thompson and Burroughs although Burroughs can be hard work.
  • @Aaron

Glad you enjoyed it, the beginning of House of Chains is the first of a couple of brave moves by SE in changing the setting and introducing new characters. Luckily they're all great and he manages it well.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Reading through Unfinished Tales and am now done reading the Children of Hurin portion. Good stuff but has to be the darkest tale Tolkien ever wrote.

What do people think of Michael Chabon by the way? I've read Cavalier & Clay and Yiddish Policeman's Union and found myself really getting into them.
  • Kow wrote:
    P'raps. I'll get into the next one when I get back home. He's an exciting writer, but there are a good few writers working in the same kind of style that I'd hold in high regard. Am going to start Naked Lunch tonight. Are you a fan of Hunter Thompson?

Yeah, I enjoy Thompson and Burroughs although Burroughs can be hard work.

I gave up on Naked Lunch.

• There's been some great recommendations throughout this thread, particularly with regards to mentality and philosophy, so I've decided I'm going to read this on my holiday:

pawnstars.jpg
  • Nice. Love the programme.
    The Adam Richman (Man V Food) book is pretty good too.

Seriously though, had no-one read Ready Player One? Or has it been discussed to death elsewhere?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Never read it - would like to.
  • Reading Out of Sight by Elmore. Fun times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!