DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    How High We Go in the Dark

Everyone else seems to love this, I thought? For me it peaked pretty early (the first section and the rollercoaster stuff clear highlights), and then drops into a series of vignettes whose revealed interrelationship was all a bit weak, and none of the others really stood out. So it felt a bit too inconsistent to me, too oddly meandering in purpose and meaning. Would have preferred it as a standalone short story or two I think.

Eurgh
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Started Flowers for Algernon having heard many good things, and having had it on my shelves for ages, and yes, can see where the praise is coming from. Seems superb so far.
  • I started reading The Road this week past. I have seen the film but 10 years ago, so I only have vague memories of the horrors of the world it describes.

Fucking hell, this story is just so bleak and hard to read. Not because of the writing which is phenomenal, but because I don't want bad things to happen.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • One of my favourite books. Enjoy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Rebecca F Kuang, of Poppy War, Babel and Yellowface fame is doing an event in Manchester in December and I’m so excited, arghhh.

Edit: Oh, she’s at London the next day as well for those of you down in that newfangled London.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looking to finish The Mirror & The Light soon-ish. I'm gonna miss Cromwell. Am already missing Mantel.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep. Good shit.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Rebecca F Kuang, of Poppy War, Babel and Yellowface fame is doing an event in Manchester in December and I’m so excited, arghhh.

Edit: Oh, she’s at London the next day as well for those of you down in that newfangled London.

I read Babel over the summer after seeing some hype about it but it’s a genuinely awful book. I’ve heard good things about Yellowface from people whose opinion I trust so maybe I need to give her another go.

Also, Joe Abercrombie is awesome. A great sadness that I’ve read everything by him.
    GT: Knight640
  • It is not awful. You're awful.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Mirror & The Light - Looking at this trilogy as a whole it makes me feel like Hilary Mantel has performed an act of necromancy; but instead of old bones and decaying objects she has produced living and breathing people I am upset to see the end of, even when I started off knowing how it must end.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep some unbelievable writing
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Or maybe I mean believable
  • Unbelievable believability.
  • It is not awful. You're awful.

Yes I am. But also. It was terrible. Yellowface was better thankfully.
    GT: Knight640
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reading Ted Hugh's Crow at the minute.

Spikey, gory yet totally incomprehensible thus far.   :)  But it imparts an emotional response. So it's doing its job.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gogmagog by Jeff Noon & Steve Beard

This is a spectacularly weird book. Noon does psychedelic fantasy, while Beard does historical folk horror. Together they’ve built something like Gormenghast-on-Thames.

It’s the first half of a two-parter, and as such it ends pretty abruptly. But what a journey. And it is literally a journey - a twisted take on the hero’s journey trope.

Our protagonist is Cady - Arcadia Meade - a coarse old sea witch and boat captain who is well over a thousand years old and more plant than person. She collects a rag-tag crew and sets off upriver to the capital. A 10-year old girl with strange psychic powers. A mechanical man - last of his kind - who protects the strange girl. A deckhand whose shadow has a life of its own. A golem with a face of flame and a tragic backstory. A rare creature made of crystal living in the boat’s engine room. And the mentally ill spirit of a dead mill worker resurrected in the body of a robot queen and lashed to the prow of their boat as a figurehead.

I did say this is a weird book.

The river itself is the other main character. The river contains, along its full length, the bones of a long-dead dragon. The dragon’s ghost haunts the river. Sticks to it. And over the centuries, has created the environments, tribes, religions and industries that Cady and her crew encounter along their journey.

There are hints and whispers of the wider world, and the history that led to this dead dragon and fractured populace of races living around its ghost. But none of seems to matter to the characters we meet - the river is all they know.

Gogmagog, in our own myth and legend, was the last giant of old Albion. And you can feel deliberate echoes of British folklore all the way through this book. Just enough to make it feel real, while it gets weirder and weirder. And then weirder again. (This place could be England, 10,000 years post-apocalypse, post-alien arrival, and post-all sorts of other things.)

If you like your fantasy abstract, stoned and hypnotic … you might like this. Takes a bit of getting into, but I was swept along eventually. It’s all atmosphere and little plot, but the atmosphere is so dense you could grab hold of it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would love.
    Get schwifty.
  • If anything, it reminded me of Pratchett’s Dark Side of the Moon, from back when he wrote short sci-fi, before he created the Discworld. Different setting, similar vibe.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    That sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would love.

My thoughts exactly.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Folio Society are doing a limited edition of pre-Tolkien fantasy classic The King of Elfland’s Daughter. https://www.foliosociety.com/the-king-of-elfland-s-daughter.html

No price announced yet. The cover font is the same one they used for their edition of The Book of the New Sun.
  • Well I forced myself through 3 Body Problem as I wanted to read it ahead of the Netflix series, and wish I hadn't bothered. I found it quite difficult to get through at times, and considering
    Spoiler:
    I was left disappointed.

I can't see why it's so lauded, beyond having some Big Ideas and being pretty hardcore on the science front.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I can't believe that this is the thing that cancels your Matty.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was disappointed when I realised I was short changed re the non ending. It was hard going at times and thought it overdid some science...computing science in particular even though I am very comfortable with it. But I thought it was worth it for the ideas.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I really did enjoy The Three Body Problem because it was stuffed with exotic sci-fi ideas. The ideas in the following two books cannot save them from the dogshit character work. I enjoyed the Netflix series because it went some way to rescuing the story from its dreadful characters.
    Get schwifty.
  • poprock wrote:
    Gogmagog by Jeff Noon & Steve Beard

This is a spectacularly weird book. Noon does psychedelic fantasy, while Beard does historical folk horror. Together they’ve built something like Gormenghast-on-Thames.

It’s the first half of a two-parter, and as such it ends pretty abruptly. But what a journey. And it is literally a journey - a twisted take on the hero’s journey trope.

Our protagonist is Cady - Arcadia Meade - a coarse old sea witch and boat captain who is well over a thousand years old and more plant than person. She collects a rag-tag crew and sets off upriver to the capital. A 10-year old girl with strange psychic powers. A mechanical man - last of his kind - who protects the strange girl. A deckhand whose shadow has a life of its own. A golem with a face of flame and a tragic backstory. A rare creature made of crystal living in the boat’s engine room. And the mentally ill spirit of a dead mill worker resurrected in the body of a robot queen and lashed to the prow of their boat as a figurehead.

I did say this is a weird book.

The river itself is the other main character. The river contains, along its full length, the bones of a long-dead dragon. The dragon’s ghost haunts the river. Sticks to it. And over the centuries, has created the environments, tribes, religions and industries that Cady and her crew encounter along their journey.

There are hints and whispers of the wider world, and the history that led to this dead dragon and fractured populace of races living around its ghost. But none of seems to matter to the characters we meet - the river is all they know.

Gogmagog, in our own myth and legend, was the last giant of old Albion. And you can feel deliberate echoes of British folklore all the way through this book. Just enough to make it feel real, while it gets weirder and weirder. And then weirder again. (This place could be England, 10,000 years post-apocalypse, post-alien arrival, and post-all sorts of other things.)

If you like your fantasy abstract, stoned and hypnotic … you might like this. Takes a bit of getting into, but I was swept along eventually. It’s all atmosphere and little plot, but the atmosphere is so dense you could grab hold of it.

I shall wait for the inevitable Zack Snyder movie adaptation.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Folio Society are doing a limited edition Hobbit, presumably to match their recent Lord of the Rings. I don’t have any further details because they uploaded the message in Dwarfish runes and that’s about all I can glean from it without actually decoding the message.
  • IN!
  • I saw the message and could only make out The Hobbit at the beginning of the passage :)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I can make out that it’s illustrated by somebody and will have so-many hundred units but that’s it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!