The B&B Book Review
  • The Hobbit limited edition illustrated by Alan Lee… is as far as I’ve gotten in a few minutes.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Hobbit Limited Edition, illustrated by Alan Lee, limited to one thousand copies, coming this year.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    eek.   Big bucks.

I have the LotR Folio 3 volume set.  I'd be happy with their "normal" Hobbit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Has anyone read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski?

Is it good or just a bit novelty?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Folio Society are doing a limited edition of pre-Tolkien fantasy classic The King of Elfland’s Daughter. https://www.foliosociety.com/the-king-of-elfland-s-daughter.html

No price announced yet. The cover font is the same one they used for their edition of The Book of the New Sun.

This is out now. £375! I think it’s public domain by this point as well.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Way too much for me.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I went for it.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It’s probably quite a safe investment but I’m gonna hope they do a non-limited edition that I can feel comfortable reading without potentially wiping out £100s in value.
  • Nice. I want to. But can’t justify the cost right now. Saving up for The Hobbit and 1984. :)
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I went for it.

Let me know what you think of it once you have it, i.e. do you think it is worth the price.  Illustrations look goreous but I'm just disappointed it's only 'quarter' bound in leather.  A price point closer to £250-£295 and I would have probably gone for it already.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will do.
    Get schwifty.
  • Around 200 sold so far and I'm getting serious FOMO!
  • Do you love the story? If it’s something you care about then get in. There are only 500 of them. I read the story a good few years ago and loved it.
  • Hello.

Couldn’t resist. Ordered it!
  • Juno wrote:
    Do you love the story? If it’s something you care about then get in. There are only 500 of them. I read the story a good few years ago and loved it.
    Have you lost access to your main account, because we can help with that?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • A Spindle Splintered by Alex E. Harrow.

A beautifully written novella that's a twist on a particular fairytale involving a spindle and a long, deep sleep. Curses, fairies, princesses, towers... All the tropes, deliciously retold through the lens of a cursed girl (terminal illness) thrown into another world.

This is a wonderfully written portal story. Harrow is a real gem. I don't want to say much more so as not to ruin it, but this is a fantastic quick read and comes with the tiger stamp of approval grrrrr.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Juno wrote:
    Do you love the story? If it’s something you care about then get in. There are only 500 of them. I read the story a good few years ago and loved it.
    Have you lost access to your main account, because we can help with that?

juno who is is?
  • Is is Juno who
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Here it is.

QYLzJTB.jpeg

It’s very nice. Is it £375 nice? Honestly no. You’re paying a lot to have one of only five hundred copies. The art is okay but not spectacular. Really this should have been fully leather bound for the price. I still don’t regret the purchase though, I would have hated to miss out on such a limited run.

Some more pics:

K5PWA2e.jpeg

4dYi1o2.jpeg

f3TX8Wy.jpeg

yJVM6hT.jpeg

s6ALqUY.jpeg

6P0Tcdq.jpeg

Ee0Hzrm.jpeg

nJ4REiv.jpeg

xmY2Dp7.jpeg
    Get schwifty.
  • That is a lovely looking book.
  • Cheers! I did order it and it came today, and yes it’s nice and no not £375 nice. I like the art, but I suppose being limited to 500 copies is what pushes the price up? Frankenstein was fully leather bound and is lovely and was cheaper but limited to 750 copies.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Cheers! I did order it and it came today, and yes it’s nice and no not £375 nice. I like the art, but I suppose being limited to 500 copies is what pushes the price up? Frankenstein was fully leather bound and is lovely and was cheaper but limited to 750 copies.

I didn’t know about the LE Frankenstein. I have the SE and it really is very nice.
    Get schwifty.
  • Doesn’t seem to go for much higher than original price if you want it and find it. I started Folio collecting after Dracula LE had sold out (same binding style and same artist etc so a ‘sister’ piece with Frankenstein) but that goes for silly money now.

Some couple on the Facebook Folio fans group was selling some books she came into possession of when a collector at a care home died. She sold Dracula LE for £150! So gutted I missed it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Would love to see your Folio collection, Elf. I’ve slightly ramped up my collection recently.
    Get schwifty.
  • Will take pics at some point. I don’t have much space so they’re all cramped in one small bookcase. Quite a modest collection, though. :)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Folio Society are doing Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell as a three-volume set, with 100 copies being signed. They’re aren’t going to stop until you’re all fucking bankrupt.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm slightly wary of special editions re holding their price. Even Folio's.

Admittedly these are not special editions but there's a charity bookshop near where I work that has quite a turnover in Folio books.  I thumbed a 3 vol collection of Pepys' diaries there a few weeks ago. Looked unread in the slipcase - £30.   Should have bought it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Will take pics at some point. I don’t have much space so they’re all cramped in one small bookcase. Quite a modest collection, though. :)

Will be more impressive than mine:-

LotR rings 3 vol set
    Dune
    (the funding of the above two were gained from selling a sealed controller for the Nuon DVD player).

Great Gatsby (one of the most beautfully written books I have ever read)

Atonement (superb book - McEwan at the peak of his powers)

Rogue Male  (favourite of mine - read this in school - superb yarn)

Jeeves and Wooster 3 volume set

Philip Larkin poetry collection

A Christmas Carol

Hide and Seek (Xan Fielding memoires of spying in Crete during WW2 - got this as a free bonus mystery pick in a deal some time ago - very nice volume with fold out maps etc and splendid yarn).

Primo Levi 2 volume set - If this is a Man and The Truce about life in Auschwitz and the journey home to Italy after liberation.  Got this cheap off ebay - looked unread. 

Couple of the season themed poetry/prose collections. Picked these up in a sale - very nice volumes.  Will be looking to get all four over time.

I want:-
    Master and Margarita
    A Man on the Moon
    The Hobbit
    Dracula
    A Clockwork Orange
    I am Legend
    Anna Karenina
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I got a complete works of Oscar Wilde Folio set at a charity shop for £10 once. I think a lot of the Folio fantasy stuff tends to hold its value, tbf. Also, in general it seems they’re trying to go in a more commercial direction where stuff actually sells instead of needing to get rid of stuff at massive discounts, which devalues the brand.
  • davyK wrote:
    LotR rings 3 vol set Dune (the funding of the above two were gained from selling a sealed controller for the Nuon DVD player).

WTF

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!