Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fair enough. I'm a huge Bukowski fan, love his 'dirty realism' style.
  • Since it's you and you have at least half a brain I'm intrigued, but I have to assume Chet has badly misrepresented him.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not really. Bukowski is all about his style of writing. There are no stories in the traditional sense, only accounts of his drunkenness, womanising and philandering in general. Not everybody gets him, which is understandable, but there is a huge amount of humour, pathos and philosophy hidden in there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Been reading The Silmarillion as I thought it time I stop reading reference books on World War 2 and other bits of history and get some good fiction going. (And instead read a fictional history narrative, ironically).

It's been over a decade and a bit since I read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and i'd forgotten how much I love Tolkien's writing style. It's far too easy to get sucked into his work and the history of the Valar and the Elves.
  • Kow wrote:
    Not really. Bukowski is all about his style of writing. There are no stories in the traditional sense, only accounts of his drunkenness, womanising and philandering in general. Not everybody gets him, which is understandable, but there is a huge amount of humour, pathos and philosophy hidden in there.
    There's probably a bit of context at the point where he wanders up to the wrong floor that makes it funnier. It's the line "This is really going to lift my spirits" that makes that whole exchange.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Yeah I'm still not getting that.  Perhaps reading the whole book would improve things but all I can see from what you've posted is a mediocre writer writing mediocre writing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, Bukowski is most definitely not a mediocre writer.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You're just biased because he has kow in his name.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Been reading The Silmarillion as I thought it time I stop reading reference books on World War 2 and other bits of history and get some good fiction going. (And instead read a fictional history narrative, ironically). It's been over a decade and a bit since I read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and i'd forgotten how much I love Tolkien's writing style. It's far too easy to get sucked into his work and the history of the Valar and the Elves.
    Unfinished Tales is excellent as a companion to the Silmarillion.
  • Kow wrote:
    Well, Bukowski is most definitely not a mediocre writer.
    Is his poetry worth a go? I imagine it has some of the Ginsberg charm to it.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    You're just biased because he has kow in his name.
    We now know his origin. Or it might be the Klan thing, I guess.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    His poetry is regarded as good but I'm not much into poetry so I couldn't really say.
  • I'm going to pick up the rest of his novels next week. Going to watch Barfly and Factotum again too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hollywood is his semi-fictionalised account of his involvement in Barfly, featuring Chinaski of course. Well worth a look.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've not seen Barfly. I believe Bukowski makes a cameo in it.
  • Oh nice, I didn't know he wrote about that. Roger Ebert did an excellent interview with him on the set of Barfly. Did you see Factotum?
  • When did he start writing? I was surprised at how long a time span Post Office covered.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I haven't seem Factotum. I'm not sure I see thepoint of his work being filmed.
  • It's rather good actually. Matt Dillon is fantastic.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll check it out.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Unfinished Tales is excellent as a companion to the Silmarillion.

I've had that since my teens. Couldn't get into it back then so i'll plough into it after i've finished this. Hopefully i've given my earlier twenties self more credit than my easily distracted younger self.

One thing i've realised is Tolkien does nature really well. I find myself appreciating this sunny day alot more after reading some passages.
  • It is in some ways better than the Silmarillion but does require that the kind of Appendices mind of not requiring an easy going narrative. It's not all meant to be canon, as there are some alternative takes, but it fills in some great stuff around Gandalf and Saruman's relationship.
  • So Im onto the final part of 'Deadhouse Gates' and it really is an exceptional book. The decision to:
    Spoiler:

was a masterstroke in regards to pace, tension and the overall storyline. The characters in this book have been even better than the first (although Whiskeyjack is still my favourite), particularly Felisin who has had such an epic journey so far. The moment when:
    Spoiler:

seriously hit me hard, I was even close to tears on a packed commuter train. Good times!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Finally got round to reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks last week. About halfway in now and I'm loving it. Proper sci-fi adventure stuff so far. Can't help thinking it'd make a decent film.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • So Im onto the final part of 'Deadhouse Gates' and it really is an exceptional book. The characters in this book have been even better than the first (although Whiskeyjack is still my favourite), particularly Felisin who has had such an epic journey so far. The moment when... seriously hit me hard, I was even close to tears on a packed commuter train. Good times!

There were many, many moments in the series that effected me that way, but I found the next book, Memories of Ice the most emotional. Some seriously gut wrenching stuff in places.

Aside from Whiskeyjack, Fiddler, Apsalar and kalam are some of my favourites throughout the series, but there are so many great characters (including just about all of the Bridgeburners) you're never short of someone to root for/despise with a passion. 

Thinking about Deadhouse Gates and knowing what's coming up is enough to make me want to start reading the whole series again, and I've only just finished a second read through.

Edit: Got my books mixed up. Fixed.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Finally got round to reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks last week. About halfway in now and I'm loving it. Proper sci-fi adventure stuff so far. Can't help thinking it'd make a decent film.

Its ending feels VERY cinematic. Almost jars with the rest of the novel.
  • @ stormyskies - You mean Memories of Ice? That's next after Deadhouse. I love the chain of dogs, the ending to that book is excellent, close to the high point of the entire series for me, it's probably the most self-contained of the Malaz books too.
  • Yeah, getting all mixed up (came back to edit that in fact :D ). 

Totally agree, the chain of dogs is awesome, and the ending of Deadhouse is just stunning. Had to stop reading at one point I was so upset.
  • Yeah, it's amazing. You really need to read R. Scott Bakker, check a preview of his work, sounds like you'll love it.
  • Thanks for the recommendation, had a look on Amazon and Kindled The Darkness That Comes Before. Will let you know how I get on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!