Dark Souls
  • The plan for today is gathering up several thousand souls to buy a purging stone - then I'm off to The Catacombs for the first time. 97 hours on the clock.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The magic helmet in the well is too good early on, I'd recommend carrying on without it unless you're really stuck on something.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message

I saw some YouTube partner analysis that reckoned DSP makes over 200k a year

That's sobering.
  • Facewon said:

Unfortunately not. 

Busted. It totally does carry over. That's why he sells it. 

Knowledge fail! :). I'll just go birch myself. 
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    finished this today. ;)

il have another run thru in future.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • The plan for today is gathering up several thousand souls to buy a purging stone - then I'm off to The Catacombs for the first time. 97 hours on the clock.

How the...? 97 and you've never been to the combs? Lots of pvp and co op? Unless you're really doin it wrong you should rinse the combs. What Sl are you?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I have a thing with my builds now where I don't like hitting sens without a fire weapon ready to go at +5, and without a +10 normal weapon ready for AL blacksmith. I also don't like, with a faith build, hitting AL without wrath of the gods. It's a little bit of messing around to get the order of things right. I was going to add chaos covie at max to my to do list, but I can't be arsed burning that much hume again, so I've decided I'm going to, since this build is just being levelled up when I need something, take into to 14 and get cast light. Want to finally give the washing pole a crack too, so it's str to 20, faith needs to be 30 for darkmoon blade, and probably for wrath of gods too (heck, that may even be 40, can't remember), so it's all a little funny. Still, it's cool just making a build to use whatever I want, and it'll be the lowest level it can be while still using everything. Plus having a black bow at +10 with solid dex is proving very handy.
  • That jump into the well can be a pain in ass till you get it down.
  • Are you taking the piss or telling me something new that I don't know.
  • Facewon said:

The plan for today is gathering up several thousand souls to buy a purging stone - then I'm off to The Catacombs for the first time. 97 hours on the clock.

How the...? 97 and you've never been to the combs? Lots of pvp and co op? Unless you're really doin it wrong you should rinse the combs. What Sl are you?

Font forget that Moose started playing this before any of us owned it, owing that he used to review games.

He talked a lot on twitter about the Forest Covvie too.
  • Fair play. I don't want to seem like I was having a go, I wasn't. It's just 97 hours and still only 10 flasks per fire, and some other things, and plus there's limits to how long I could do a first playthrough without seeing more of the game. Just seems like there'd have to be like 20-30 hours of just, I dunno, farming the forest covie?

• That woukdnt be unexpected from Moose.
  • Just checked, and my play time is actually 89 hours. I've been taking my time :) Also indulged in a little PVP. My character is SL71.
  • All good, actually makes sense. I should remember that my first playthrough ended up clocking in at 85 or something.
  • Facewon wrote:
    since this build is just being levelled up when I need something, take int to 14 and get cast light.

Well, that wasn't so bad. Hydra down easily first time, summoned the chick and bought all her low level fun spells. Very handy that they're all only 14 req in INT. Now I can go back and finish off what i was doing in ToG. Might even sneak through and suicide run for the silver serpent ring, just for souls farming purposes.

Was gonna try and cap this build around 50, but I may amend to 60-70. As long as i can take strength to 20 and get enough faith to use wrath and darkmoon I'm happy. The rest wil go to dex and END.

• 4 Kings.  Annoying.

Nearly did it on my first go.  Then got worse.  Given up for tonight.
  • The thing I learned from my sl10 playthrough is that whatever your quickest/biggest damage moves/spells are, do them early.

It doesn't matter how many kings are around at the end, when you drain that big health bar, it's done. So hammer the first king as much as possible.

Also, it's well worth stocking up on green blossoms from the merch at the top of sens. stamina is vital. (if you have powerful spells/miracles/pyro, use 'em early. they don't cost stamina.)

A strong magic defense shield (crest is good and light) and knowing that you can roll through most of their swings and you'll be golden. (The roll that's most useful is a forward roll when they do that big down swing. You can just roll straight into it.)
  • Why do I sometimes have 10 estus flasks when resting at bonfire and sometimes 5, and the humanity what's that all about is it better to be human and not some orange monster? Also what's traversing the white light all about. Oh and also what's the number in the top left corner. Ty pls.
  • Did the depths last night. Got cursed, cured curse, spent 30 minutes on the edge of my seat killing every basilisk. Found the short-cut from the bonfire to the boss, breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Killed the mouth-teeth boss without too much trouble.

I can learn Pyromancy now, I probably should invest in that, yeah? I don't have any magic, just a few sorceries to buff my weapon or shield.

SL32
  • @ZMM: You can spend humanity to kindle bonfires. This gives you an extra 5 flasks when you rest there. I think the first one at Firelink is already kindled, so if you rest there, you get 10 flasks.

Humanity is in the top left by your health (and is separate from the item, which confused me as noob). You spend one humanity to go from orange monster to human, then another to kindle the bonfire.

I die a lot so I only ever spend humanity to kindle, and I usually have 2/3 on my counter when it comes to it. Killing lots of the same type of enemies seems to increase it, and you can recover them with your souls, so during my initial run through an area where I die 20 times, but manage to recover, I'll usually gain a few humanity in my counter, so I can kindle the next bonfire I find.
  • Thanks for the info, but I have more questions! Why is my chain armour slowing me down so much now when it wasn't before, also some fuckhead 'invaded' and started killing me, so I disconnected from Xbox live. What the hell is that about people a much higher level than you can come into your world and fuck you up?
  • ZMM wrote:
    Why is my chain armour slowing me down so much now when it wasn't before, also some fuckhead 'invaded' and started killing me, so I disconnected from Xbox live. What the hell is that about people a much higher level than you can come into your world and fuck you up?
    You disconnected because you were invaded? You need to toughen up, lad! Invasions are some of the most intense and exhilarating moments in Dark Souls. Unless you get royally fucked in seconds, of course which is probably quite likely given that you've just started playing. Also, invaders won't be a much higher level than you - I forget the exact details, but I think the highest level they could have been would have been 10% higher than you (as of the last patch?). The likelihood is they were a lower level, just kitted out in better gear.

As for your movement speed, it depends entirely on your equip. load. You want to keep this under 50%... preferably under 25%. There are a couple of rings that can really help lighten equipment burden. Ask if you want to know where they are.
  • I just rubbed my weapon with lightning powder and finally killed this black knight dude, now have his sword but I don't have the strength to wield it! He was guarding a blue tearstone ring. And Tiger this guy's gamertag was 'Wild fox lvl 62' which made me think it was a much higher level player, had it happened before I might've thought the 'lvl 62' was just part of his gamertag.
  • Generally, you can only be invaded when human, so wander around hollow for now, only turning human when you want to kindle a bonfire. Unfortunately, there are a few griefera around that purposely keep their soul level low, but upgrade all the gear, can't see the fun in that myself. 

As Tiger said, keep your equipped weight below 50% of your total weight ability to keep movement up (remember its about not getting hit, so fast rolls etc are essential), tanks don't work very well in this game. You can carry all sorts of crap without upping your weight, stuff only adds to your encumbrance when it's actually equipped in the inventory screen, so therefore watch what you are actually equipping (ie have you got two shields, two big ass swords, etc)
  • Having a fuck load of trouble again. Done Sens, Anor Londo and Catacombs. Tried 4 kings got murdered, same wih seath the scalless. Rocking a SL 70 Grave Lord with +5 silver armour and qualags firey sword thing. Where should I go next?

Also Is Havels armour worth wearing even if it takes equipload over 50%? It just seems so tempting.
  • It's of use on occassion for some of its elemental defences.
  • Havel's is really useful for the 4 kings as it happens. Good poise too, but not worth it to take load over 50%. 

4 kings (not on NG) is all about max damage per second. Equip the most armour you can manage, green moss for stamina and grass crest shield on your back. Double hand the weapon and drop into the Abyss. As soon as the 4 kings appear run up and batter them. Watch out for the grab and the AOR and roll through them. You are trying to kill each one before the next appears. 

Seath isn't that bad, don't stand directly in front, or get round his back (unless you are trying to cut off his tail for the sword), as at the front the curse spell does you, at the back ho's tails fuck you up. Sort of side on works the best. Again, 2 handed and chop away.
  • How do I kill the Taurus demon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    On Seath,
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    How do I kill the Taurus demon.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!