The Car thread
  • Sounds about right, well explained Goobs.

I think +£50 is perfectly reasonable for the convenience of taking it to your mainstream chain garage. Of course it would be cheaper at a wee independent place, but if you’re not a petrolhead you pay for the easier option.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    2015 Vauxhall Meriva

You can search for the parts on the interweb. A vauxhall dealer should be able to give you the part numbers.. You might find one of the fast fit places like Kwik Fit will give you a cheaper quote. Always get quotes.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I am with Bob. Always get multiple quotes.

Does sound a bit dear tbh. Plus garages are desperate for work atm so try and get price matces from quotes
    PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thanks both. Fixter already offering £220 with them collecting and dropping it off, so glad I held off.
  • May look at fixter.co.uk in the future never heard of them. I use a branch of Mr Clutch near me. May be a down south thing. They are very good and reasonable.

I think if i had the time, id do my own discs and brake changes. Not much too it.
  • If you had the money for the new M3 this has got to be the colour.

• Got as far as the drift stuff and what the absolute cock-smuggling hell is all that doing in a car that'll never see a track.

EDIT:  Also they still seem to be using those pop up interior door locks I last saw in the B-reg Polo I learned to drive in.
  • Launch control and drift model are two of the most utterly pointless items in modern performance cars. Only car journalists would use it. Trying drifting at a track and you'll get banned and removed.

The next C63 AMG is a 4 pot, BUT, it has a MGU-H from F1. A electric turbo. Bringing its bhp to over 600bhp, from a 4 cyclinder. Insane.
  • Unless Merc change their melted-over-an-upended-mixing-bowl-look I've no interest.  That Rancid BMW is more appealing and I feel ill saying that.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    That Rancid BMW

Ted-Hammer.gif
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The fucking state of the front end on the BMW! It's horrific.
  • The fucking state of the front end on the BMW! It's horrific.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Since we bought a pressure washer for cleaning our patio, deck, and general stone stuff outdoors, I figured I should really use it on the cars as well. Living in the city centre I couldn’t wash my own cars – just didn’t have any space – so it’s actually nice to get back into doing this.

So I got a snow foam lance for the pressure washer and a few Bilt-Hamber products. Always used to swear by their stuff when I washed cars in the past. I reckon this is pretty good result for the first wash in over a year and the bare minimum of effort.

170093533_802305570705243_6633278578369845365_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=fe9-J5UKrhQAX_9zcpc&edm=APU89FAAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=1169ef9b1108b6858502f3c0d228a2e6&oe=60922FA5&_nc_sid=86f79a
    169135359_751023645587998_3730695152617891992_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=a37QPJx6WdEAX_LFR7l&edm=AABBvjUAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=8b20f748e1fa0a18b87e19b4a26fb13f&oe=6090267B&_nc_sid=83d603

Although now I can see all the stone chips in the front end and all the scrapes on the wheels. Dammit.
  • Escape wrote:

Interesting read. Personally i think EVs are a false dawn and false economy. However theres hope on the horizon for synthetic fuels (which can be used by exisiting combustion engines) and just maybe we might try to use one of the most abundant elements in the universe i.e. hydrogen.

Fuck EV, its bollocks. (Personal opinion obviously).
  • EVs can work for the UK, I think, but they can’t be the only option. Yes, they’re the preserve of the wealthy for now. And probably for at least 10 years. But combustion engines will still be around as well. Our government have ensured there will be no new ICE cars, but there are almost 33 million cars in the UK. Those are not going anywhere quickly. Hence the rush to develop synthetic fuels for them.

Will there ever be a ubiquitous infrastructure for EVs in the UK? Probably not. Hopefully it’ll reach ‘good enough’ status within a decade. But it’ll never be full, free coverage. There’ll be a better technology along before our electric infrastructure gets completed. And once EVs are no longer the best option for the wealthy, the infrastructure rollout will be abandoned.

That’s the real reason why many people will never get to own electric cars. They’re a temporary solution and won’t trickle down before something better comes along.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    EVs are at least creating a rapid shift in the industry right now, which is what is needed, even if they don't turn out to be a long term solution. There will be so many EVs by the end of this decade that they will naturally get far cheaper. If competition pushes development of synthetic fuels so existing vehicles can continue to be used in a less damaging way then brilliant. Current hydrogen vehicles are essentially just EVs with an additional hybrid power source so developing EVs will aid future hydrogen technology, if and when it comes in a meaningful way. The infrastructure is going to be the key issue in this country certainly. Hopefully it should just about keep up...
  • Future narrator: “It did not keep up.”
  • We have a government who can’t even roll out broadband properly after promising to do so. Who can’t even build a simple rail line on time or on budget. Who can’t handle switching to renewable energy within the schedule they set for themselves. Or keep an existing free-at-point-of-care health system running to a fraction of the usefulness it used to.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yeah... Given that I live in Scotland I'm *a little* more optimistic, but I do still need to travel to England. (Part of my reason for optimism is having recently downloaded the 'National Grid ESO' app which breaks down electricity generation impacts and rountinely shows Scotland at just a few grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt hour generated - the UK is improving as a whole as well, but is lagging behind significantly in comparison...)
  • Yep, we’ll be net-zero in Scotland very soon. Farming in Scotland already is.
  • Would love my next car to be an EV. Currently running a 2010 Mercedes C220 diesel... So would like to change soon but think getting an EV will be too pricey for me. Unless when the time comes I can afford a lease deal, it'll be another second hand motor.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • poprock wrote:
    Since we bought a pressure washer for cleaning our patio, deck, and general stone stuff outdoors, I figured I should really use it on the cars as well. Living in the city centre I couldn’t wash my own cars – just didn’t have any space – so it’s actually nice to get back into doing this. So I got a snow foam lance for the pressure washer and a few Bilt-Hamber products. Always used to swear by their stuff when I washed cars in the past. I reckon this is pretty good result for the first wash in over a year and the bare minimum of effort. 170093533_802305570705243_6633278578369845365_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=fe9-J5UKrhQAX_9zcpc&edm=APU89FAAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=1169ef9b1108b6858502f3c0d228a2e6&oe=60922FA5&_nc_sid=86f79a 169135359_751023645587998_3730695152617891992_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=a37QPJx6WdEAX_LFR7l&edm=AABBvjUAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=8b20f748e1fa0a18b87e19b4a26fb13f&oe=6090267B&_nc_sid=83d603 Although now I can see all the stone chips in the front end and all the scrapes on the wheels. Dammit.
    Great work Pops! I'll be round later...
    lnFUaNn.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Too much surface area. Would not bang wash.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    EVs can work for the UK, I think, but they can’t be the only option. Yes, they’re the preserve of the wealthy for now. And probably for at least 10 years.

The main problem is that their batteries won't last long enough to see them down to £1-3k, which is a huge second-hand market for many of us. Or they'll fall into that affordability range with shite charge levels remaining. That article talks about 12yo cars as old, and mine's 23!

Offering a few grand off £40k+ is completely back to front, and I think the bigger push for those Joneses will be green social pressure. Whereas if you offered someone like me a £40k car for 10, I'd be like ‘Cool! Let me save up and I'm there’. (Or would be with somewhere to charge it.)

I mentioned ebikes recently, because another winner for me would be raising their limit from 15.5mph to 30 (or 50km). Then I could buy a Sur-Ron and ride all over my local AONB, which is obviously something I wouldn't do on a petrol with so many protected species about.

You get the moaners about excessive speed, but I'd very strongly argue that 15.5's too slow for safety on our B-roads, and also that 30's around what MTBs reach on downhills anyway (and their riders do use our hills). When I ride my hybrid on the road I average about 20 when I'm fit, but even then I tend to push it up to 25 whenever I hear a car behind. Tearing around blind corners on a cyclepath's clearly stupid, but once again you can easily top that on a roadbike, and this always comes down to responsibility. Just make riders of 30mph ebikes take CBTs.

Reason I whinge about all this is because I won't bother with an ebike because they're simply too slow to be fun in the way I'd like to use one, and if they weren't I'd end up using one instead of my car for a lot of local trips.

Related, in case anyone wonders about dirtbikes on green lanes: you can ride on BOATS — byways open to all traffic, but these are being closed all the time and we've far fewer than we had when I was young. I've so many brilliant places to ride an electric trials around here, but none of them legal!

Back in the Junior Kickstart days we just bought knackers and rode around fields and lanes dodging farmers. Much harder to get permission now, too.

Talking of cyclepaths, our council wasted £100k on a couple of surveys (which I'm sure was a mates thing) about surfacing around 1.5 miles, which was then ruled out for whatever claimed reason. That money could've done a really nice job of it, and given us all somewhere great for walking, riding and running.

Charging stations out here?! Yeah, for the wealthy. Maybe.
  • The cycle path past our house is brilliant. It’s one of the Sustrans cycle routes and I figured that’s why it was so well built and maintained. It’s tarmaced, nice and wide, plenty of room for cyclists and pedestrians, etc. But no. Turns out it’s all been paid for by Virgin Media. They wanted permission to run their main fibre backbone from the coast in to Paisley and Glasgow, and in exchange for running it under the cycle route they paid to have it properly built and pay to keep it well maintained.

(Kinda frustrating that they won’t run a spur across the road and supply fibre to our house though!)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The previously narrow half of my favourite running lane was widened and resurfaced last year, to my surprise and joy. No more waiting for individual walkers to slooowly move aside to let me pass.

Locals campaigned for this for ages. The reason it eventually happened? A new housing estate. Ditto our other cyclepath.

Re: fibre, it's available on the other side of my close. I need a 70m underground run from the last available property. They keep saying it's coming, but I'm thinking I might have to wait until they wire up the street behind me instead. The ditch in my garden runs down to it.

It's not even the speed I want (that'll just be a nicety), but the low latency for gaming. I'm quite close to our FTTC cab and mine sucks, and all BT do is swap pairs when someone complains. So even if I get a better connection for a bit (still bad), it's always on borrowed time.

They really fucked it a few years back, when we had people calling a villager on our pub's number. I think my number was an elderly lady's. I had voicemail from an old boy about coming to pick me up for summat.
  • As Mitsubishi are pulling out of the uk, they have put their uk heritage stock up for sale. Auction still going, some cars only have bids for 6-7k. However the Evo 6 Tommy Makinen edition is sitting at £77,500 (highest bid) at the moment and theres still 22 days to go.

https://autoauction.co.uk/
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That Evo VI is a much nicer-looking car than its newer versions. Has a boxy Nova charm, unlike the fussy angular lines we get nowadays.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!