The Car thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Never mind the big toy car.....look at that pristine garage.

I have serious garage envy these days. I want to clean and paint mine but haven’t found the time yet. 

I wanted to really go to town on it and do an epoxy floor as well, but given that it’s in a pretty ropey barn building I know it’s not really worth investing the money in. The likelihood is that we’ll need to refurb or rebuild the barn in a few years anyway because it has an asbestos roof.
  • Ah finally the Badger retreat we've been dreaming of

Make it so, Poppo
  • It’s already full of rats, might as well add badgers.

I just want to hang a big mirrorball in the barn. Is that so wrong?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our garage is a standard sized one - fit for a car and shelving with a bit of extra space at the back Our boiler and our electrical boards are in there at the back etc.

I was able to paint the floor after it was built 5 years ago as part of our extension but wasn't able to do much else. The walls are all still clean plaster so it looks OK but it could be better. The main problem is that it is full of crap and needs a serious clear out but Wifey won't make decisions as to what is to go.

We are now a 4 car family and while our driveway can accomodate that we would benefit from having one of them in there. No chance at the minute.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure if I've said it already, but would someone please get Jason Camissa in a room with Chris Harris

it would be pure gold, and I'd love it so much
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So looks like my car is leaking coolant at a pretty rapid rate, but the car itself isn't overheating... Which is weird?

My wife's granddad has suggesting putting egg whites in which will plug up any holes temporarily?? Is this a thing?? I'm worried about completely fucking the car through eggs lol
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Do not put egg whites in your radiator. If you want a temporary bodge, go buy a bottle of RadWeld which is an actual chemical product designed to do that thing. But be aware that it’s only a temporary fix and not good for your radiator in the long term - better to go get it repaired properly anyway. RadWeld and its ilk are grand if your car is an old banger you don’t care too much about - do not use in a decent modern motor.
  • It's a 2010 c class... Need to get rid of it really. 2..2 diesel and 133k Miles on the clock, it's going to get very expensive soon.

Cheers though, I won't be putting them in!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Keep topping up the coolant/water in the meantime. Don’t let it drain too much.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My car used to drink coolant quite a bit - can't remember what it was now - I think the seal on a pipe joint had gone. Shouldn't be expensive to get sorted. Keep topping it up in the meantime.
  • Just had the same with my old Fiesta, hence the scoobydoo. As it turns out, took the Fiesta to a good mechanic, and he fixed it all up so it's running good as new. The mechanic we saw before getting the subaru did the temp fix above, and yeah, it just led to the second mechanic having to faff more to get things right. 

When the missus finally gets her licence we'll be a two car fam.

Definitely gonna take the scooby to this guy in sept when it's next service is due.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If the rad's in fair condition you could replace hoses and clamps.

You can still buy aircooled dirtbikes, but it's obviously a bad idea to run something designed for coolant without.
  • I'm working for webuyanycar nowadays, so thought I'd do a thing explaining the process for anyone that's thinking of using us.

It all starts with you putting your reg in online for a valuation. There's a bit on the website where you can enter any condition issues, like scuffed alloys, stone chips etc. I'd recommend being as honest as possible at this stage. If you don't enter any, our system has to assume your car is grade 1, mint/showroom condition, and gives the top market price.

Then you book an appointment. Please, please don't book the appointment if you don't plan on going. Or if you need to reschedule or cancel, you have to do it, we're not allowed to. Reason this is key (for me) is we're targeted on conversion - basically, how many of our appointments we buy. If you don't turn up, or if you turn up but don't sell, it goes against us, and can screw our bonus payments. Or, if you have a private reg, don't book until you've transferred the plate off and have the new v5 in hand. We can buy it with the private plate, but you'll never see it again. Trust me, when we see a private plate in the diary, we just think 'ah fuck. Another free appraisal'.

If you're going to the appointment, you NEED:

the v5

Your ID - drivers license is best, as long as it shows the same address as the v5. If not, passport plus a utility bill

Service history - normally a book, but in the case of Audi, mercedes and Mazda I think, you need to contact or go to a main dealer who'll print it off. There's no point saying 'but it's got full history!' if I can't see it, it doesn't have it. This impacts the value, can be quite significantly.

The spare key

The owner's manual.

FINANCE SETTLEMENT LETTER - has to be a physical letter, or a printable PDF. Can't accept a figure in the body of an email.

And another thing - if you're selling a van or pickup, YOU need to make sure the chassis stamp is visible. Not the sticker in the windshield, the physical stamp in the body of the car. I point this out because I spent a full hour with WD-40 and a wire brush trying to see the stamp on a Nissan Navara. Pain in the baws.

So, you turn up. My job is to provide a physical appraisal of the car as it sits on the day, and get as close to your online valuation as possible. I don't get paid more if I buy your car for less, I'm targeted on appointment conversion and grade matching. When I appraise your car, it gets graded from 1-6, and when it goes to auction, it gets graded again. So, if I say your car's a grade 3 and the auction says grade 5, I've fucked up. I go round the car panel by panel, and tell my tablet how each one is. Once I'm done, I show you everything I've found (the appraisal HAS to be done in your presence, if the buyer tries telling you different, he's fucking at it), and my system works out a repair cost, then deducts that from the online valuation. The way I explain it is, we're owned by British car auctions, and it's trade auctions, so if you were buying your car from Arnold Clark the following day, you'd point out all the items I've found and either want them repaired, or money off.

So, you get the valuation after the appraisal. Let's say online we offered you 10k, there's 1k of repair costs, so new valuation is 9k. It's not over at that point, we have flex. So, of the 1k repair costs, we can flex in a certain percentage, which varies from car to car, usually around 20 percent. Anything above that, up to around 30 percent, we have to phone our boss to see if they're willing to give it. They can see cap prices at auction etc, so know what the margins are, they purposely don't let us have access to that information.

So, happy with the price, all agreed, we'll take it from you there and then. Money wise, 4 working day payment is free, next working day is £24.75 and same day is £29.75, but that's not always available. And we don't know if it is or not until we get to the payment screen.

After you've sold it, we send you the invoice via email, we do the keeper change with the DVLA, and any outstanding tax will be refunded to you by them at the same time. The only thing you need to do that we can't do for you is cancel your insurance.

It is generally a painless process, provided you do actually want to sell, and have the necessary documents. If you're in a negative equity situation on your car, it's up to you to pay the balance, we can take that payment at the time.

Hopefully this is informative, based on how busy we are and how the company is growing, I imagine some of you have used or are thinking about using us at some point!
  • Question - what if you didn't take out finance?  Do you need the original purchase receipt instead?
  • If there's no finance, the v5 is fine. Long as the address on that and your license match up, we're happy. Only exception is if you purchased it recently (think 3 months recent, not 100% sure offhand), then we'd need the original purchase invoice, just to prove you're not a motor trader trying to exploit a shift in the market.
  • Interesting, cheers.
  • We’re literally doing this in the next couple of days so thats all supper useful info HBJ!  If you weren’t 4 hours away I’d book in with you to get you moving towards the commission.
  • No worries! I'll expand a bit more:

The main things that will take a hefty chunk off your value are - rust, warning lights on the dash, and evidence of a poor previous repair.

Our system breaks repairs into 2 categories - smart or bodyshop. There's various thresholds, but the main ones are: stonechips - less than 5 is a smart repair, more is a body; scratches - 2.5 cm is the bodyshop threshold, with the exception of bumpers, they have a 10cm threshold. Obviously, smart repairs are cheaper, but again, depends on the make. Say there's a ford Mondeo with a few scratches, kerbed alloys and stone chips, probably about 500/600 cost. The exact same items on a Merc, or Jag etc will cost more, because it'll be a guy with a Merc or Jag badge on his overalls doing the work.

If you have a tyre pressure light on, get it cleared before the appointment. Even though it's an easy fix (usually), it could chib 100 quid off your valuation. Same with bulbs out etc. We HAVE to note it, even though it's a simple fix, because we don't know how much of a dick the auction appraiser is going to be, so we need to cover ourselves.

I often get after an appraisal 'well, my cousin is a valeter, I'll just get him to fix it' which is fair enough, your car, your perogative. But, if you're gonna do that, please make sure it's done properly, like I said, evidence of a poor previous repair will end up costing you more than the damage that was there to begin with.

Lastly, we're always asked how long we guarantee the price for. Simple answer is, we don't. The online quote we'll hold for 4 days, because that's just based on market prices. The appraisal I do is for that day, purely because you could leave the car park and get hit by a bus. But, if you do have an appraisal done but don't sell on the day (ya bugger), that appraisal is emailed to the branch. So the general unwritten rule is, if you come back in within a week or so, we'll print that appraisal out and as long as there's no hugely significant change to the vehicle we'll put the exact same items through again.

Hope you get a good deal Unc!
  • Cheers man.  It’s a pretty new car, so I’m not too worried about being chipped down on bits and pieces.  It’s worth what you guys will offer, I’m not fussed about negotiating over an extra hundred quid or whatever, and as long as it’s in the rough ball park of the valuation then I’m fully intending to leave it with them and then that’s it done.
  • I reckon it’s a good system for people with normal modern cars who want them sold with minimal fuss and effort.

It’s not worth considering if you’re a petrolhead with a weird, old, or in any way non-standard car. But then, if you’re that kind of person you’ll be happy to do the work of selling privately anyway. (Just for example, I put my old Porsche into the website back when I was selling it and got a valuation of around £60. That kind of car just doesn’t fit their system - which is totally fair!)
  • I took in a 2005 M5 today, 96k on the clock. The normally aspirated V10 one. Paid just over 9k for it. I reckon that'll be a 20k car if you sit on it long enough.
  • Example of people being clueless.....

63 plate BMW 325d. Category s insurance marker against it, so starting valuation of £5047. Straight away, before I've even looked at it, guy says he wants 5k. So for that to happen, it has to be mint, not a mark on it, because I've got a 50 quid admin fee.

So, thing needed 2 new bumpers, 2 alloy's refurbished,scratches on 4 panels, only 1 key, part service history, and an abs and engine oil warning light on the dash.

System took 2.5k off in repair costs, so new valuation just over 2.4k. guy looked at me like I was the idiot. Told him if he'd been offered 5k privately to take it and run as fast as he can.

And there goes my conversion target for the day!!
  • That's a tough gig mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AYe.

My mate recently sold a convertable Mini Cooper to webuyanycar. He got it at auction is an ex-motability car (I know!).

Guy gave him starting valuation. It was immaculate. He used a gizmo to check it wasn't a respray as there wasn't a single scratch. Knowing my mate that's a bloody miracle.
  • davyK wrote:
    AYe.

My mate recently sold a convertable Mini Cooper to webuyanycar. He got it at auction is an ex-motability car (I know!).

Guy gave him starting valuation. It was immaculate. He used a gizmo to check it wasn't a respray as there wasn't a single scratch. Knowing my mate that's a bloody miracle.

Yeah, paint detective. Basically a wee magnet you stick on the panel and pull it off, where it breaks contact shows the depth of the paint.

Just had a customer there, who turned out to be the doctor that sent me packing while I was sitting in his office crying a couple of years ago because he didn't have time for me. Marked EVERY wee ding down on his car!!
  • Karma.
  • I've been watching Frank Stephenson's youtube channel and its really interesting.
    Some will know who he is but for those that don't he is a hugely succesful car designer. He designed the New Mini, the new Fiat 500, a handful of Ferrari's, Maseratis the list goes on. Not always my favourite of cars but got to respect the guy's talent and career.

He does break downs of how he designed his own cars, his own takes on classics, reviews of new cars purely from a design perspective and some other stuff including breaking down and reviewing cars from games from a car designers point of view.

Here is his Cyberpunk video, he has done GTAV and Burnout Paradise as well.

• Just saw the stupid orange Paul walker Supra from the f&f films sold for $550000 at Barret Jackson.
  • That's mental.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!