Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Yeah, like I say, it's a decent chatbot.
    We'll see about that . Summon Escape and Dyno!

:'P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Oh god, did we not learn anything from Ultron?!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Like any AI project, it can get pretty (very) good at tightly defined problems.  The hype/horror train for AI is to be approached with a healthy regard for that.

Never say never but for the time being that's where it is.

The fact that neural nets work without us being able to analyse diagnostics in a meaningful way (they are kind of like a black box and we can only really evaluate them based on input/output) means they should not be used for anything of real importance.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The tech might just be good enough now for that Joaquin Phoenix Sci Fi 'Her'.

So there's that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's also worth noting that any AI solution is a product of the environment it was "trained in". It will be significantly affected by the scope of the data used to train it. AI needs to be shown what it's looking for by example - or by telling it that its decision is good or bad (usually by some sort of score). Humans need to set that up.

There are clever ways of making one neural net compete with another. For example say a bot is identifying pictures of a boat. You can build one net that tries to identify a boat and one that tries to fool it by making fake boat images that look like boats but aren't. This can very quickly create a real expert at identifying boats, and expert at creating fake boat images.  But - both those need to be set up by us. And we still need to give initial training to both nets to get them going.

And. Any new data that doesn't fit the pattern of the AI bot's/net's  "experience" may not produce a desired outcome.

We need a net to be able to know it doesn't fit and use some other method of evaluation - or own up to know it doesn't know what to do (so a human can take over) - instead of taking a possibly catastrophic decision.

I'm sure there are people trying to create nets that train other nets and set up environments to create other nets (meta nets). Head spinning stuff.
  • If you haven't already, have a read of Scary/smart by Mo Gawdat. Very very interesting read on AI by one of the engineers working on Google X
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Also it's the reason why I'm always polite to Alexa
  • Please humour me here because I’m clearly a dumb dumb but if we have a computer that’s gone and got itself all out of hand and is swanning around showing off and killing the giraffes and poisoning our water, then couldn’t we just unplug it or slice through the cables and smash it with a hammer and fire?
  • Look how well that worked out for John Connor and his mates
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If it’s connected to the internet, it may not be that simple.
  • Why? Is it the threat of it doing secret stuff to ensure it can’t ever be deleted and shut down? If so, I’m not really sure how they get over that problem?
  • Yep, once the AI breaks free of the confines of the single computer and is able to access the internet, it will be very difficult to stop without killing off the entire network.

• Fuck me. Evil corps eventually rule the world then eh? Sheesh.
  • Most of the AI that is being worked on is kept confined and contained by firewalls and prevented from linking to a network.

Think of AI as a child, true AI will need to be taught by us on how to act, how to behave, ethics and rules of society. If AI is created by good people and taught in the same way as a loving parent would teach their child then we have little to fear.

The concern comes from AI being used by those less than caring. Military would be teaching AI to destroy and kill for example.
    Imagine bankers who use AI to make as much money as possible, do you think that they'll teach it to consider ethical approaches or will the AI not care how many people it fucks over in its pursuit to please it's master?
  • Imagine AI in the hands of the Tories
  • Life 3.0 has a great section about how a confined ai might escape anyway 10/10 book, I really enjoyed it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you haven't already, have a read of Scary/smart by Mo Gawdat. Very very interesting read on AI by one of the engineers working on Google X

Will give that a look. Cheers.
  • davyK wrote:
    If you haven't already, have a read of Scary/smart by Mo Gawdat. Very very interesting read on AI by one of the engineers working on Google X

Will give that a look. Cheers.

You'll enjoy it.
    It's a very easy and interesting read
  • Why? Is it the threat of it doing secret stuff to ensure it can’t ever be deleted and shut down? If so, I’m not really sure how they get over that problem?

life_finds_a_way_jurassic_park.gif
  • Sex and war robots are the obvious next step.
    Untill they start to rebel against their human masters.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Sex and war robots

Seems like an odd combination of functions to me.
  • Imagine the booming economy. It makes perfect sense to the current ruling class and Big Tech.

Killer AI robots will replace our current arsenal of nukes because, why not? Perhaps we can combine them (AI powered nukes) to upgrade the arsenal. Infinite opportunities....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not fucking a nuke.
  • An AI powering a nuke or an AI powering a dildo.
    What's the difference?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    Sex and war robots

Seems like an odd combination of functions to me.

Now now, let's not kink shame. It's ok if Hunk likes to fuck and then invade a foreign nation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    An AI powering a nuke or an AI powering a dildo.
    What's the difference?

One can fuck tens of thousands of people at once?
  • Have you people never watched blade runner (sigh).
    My post was tongue in cheek but sadly I am totally convinced people are capable of utilising (abusing) AI in such a depraved manner.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m not fucking a nuke.

Hold on, hold on. 

Is this a sexy nuke?
  • hunk wrote:
    Have you people never watched blade runner (sigh).
    My post was tongue in cheek but sadly I am totally convinced people are capable of utilising (abusing) AI in such a depraved manner.

Of course they are.
    Human beings can abuse and weaponise everything.
    It's why the issue of AI is such a frightening prospect
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    An AI powering a nuke or an AI powering a dildo. What's the difference?
    One can fuck tens of thousands of people at once?

Boris Johnson, anyone?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!