The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Same people that forget that the entire series is primarily for a younger audience. It's only as we got older that some stopped believing in the ewoks.
  • The original trilogy was for kids like the top Pixar films are for kids.

The newer trilogy was 50% news night 50% teletubbies. Appeasing no one.
  • First film has the Death Star trench run, second has the Vader as Anakin reveal, Han frozen and no resolution - which was an absolute mind fuck at the time. Ewoks helping the good guys to a final victory was never going to match up.
  • HERESY WARNING
    I've always found Empire a little boring.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It has a slower middle act than the other two. However that allows it some breathing room to develop characters and for Boba Fett to stand there like a boss.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I love the Endor battle. Ewok stealing the speeder bike still makes me chuckle.

Gonna sit and watch A New Hope tomorrow with my lad for the first time. It's gonna be emotional.
  • On repeat viewing I found new hope the best, Jedi not as bad as made out but still a bit duff and empire being over rated. Phantom menace was more boring than I remember and it was a struggle to see it through. Attack of the clones is worse as its a bit of a mess in terms of why are people doing what they do and the revenge of the sith is mediocre in the extreme but has the "noooo" lols at the end.

I would watch star trek into darkness over any of them to be honest so maybe this won't be so bad. I do think these kind of event films are best left as once off views with maybe the odd repeat viewing at Xmas or something. Lord of the rings has also aged terribly
    SFV - reddave360
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    LotR is still good.  Having watched the appendices twice I may bit a touch biased.  Incredible feat of film-making never to be repeated.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Trailer for it looks a bit awesome (as does the Jurassic Park World one). 2015 is looking to be a beastly year for big budget Hollywood blockbusters, in terms of spectacle at the very least.
  • I liked the Ewoks tbh. They were going to eat the protagonists.
  • Age of Ultron looks awesome as well.
  • The bit where they approach Death Star II only to realise it's a trap and then turn around to face the imperial fleet is fantastic, Williams music is on point. I think the intercutting of that, Luke/Vader and the Endor fight makes up for the Ewoks a little easier to stomach (A wing flying into the control tower to take down the Super Star Destroyer is great) but I'll always forgive Star Wars a lot of sins for its spaceship stuff, because it hasn't really been bettered.
  • It has a slower middle act than the other two. However that allows it some breathing room to develop characters and for Boba Fett to stand there like a boss.
    boba-fett-definitely-doesnt-look-as-cool-with-his-helmet-off-preview.jpg?format=1000w
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • 'Want to see my wookie collection?'
  • He's in her space isn't he? He's been walking around all day felling like a badass and now he thinks he's in with a shot at the hot alien dancer.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Skerret wrote:
    LotR is still good.  Having watched the appendices twice I may bit a touch biased.  Incredible feat of film-making never to be repeated.

Its good but its not as good or near great as many people hold it up. The run time is massively overlong, the third part is padded to an insane extreme (you've had two films to build things up and now we are going to... build some more...) 

There's still much to like but a recent rewatch showed up a lot of flaws and I found myself cringing at one or two points. I think (and I am saying this only from my own perspective) that like Star Wars, these films are perfectly entertaining movies but they really shouldn't be held in quite such high regard (and in turn maybe shouldnt be slammed as much either).
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I saw a few minutes of one of those films once. Frodo was running around some sort of castle, dodging bad CGI.
  • Jedi is ok, has the gold bikini for starters.

It got considerably worse when Lucas turned the Sarlac pit into the plant from Little Shop of Horrors and added all the celebration shite at the end.

As a kid I loved the escape from Jabba, and the scene where one of the ewoks is nudging his dead friend seemed incredibly sad. Now I'm just disappointed at Fett's comedy death and Hayden Cuntface as Anakin's ghost.

Hopefully now Lucas isn't at the helm, at some point we'll get a BR release of the original trilogy without all of his alterations. Can't think of a single one that wasn't detrimental, never mind one that actually improved anything.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The bit where they approach Death Star II only to realise it's a trap and then turn around to face the imperial fleet is fantastic, Williams music is on point. I think the intercutting of that, Luke/Vader and the Endor fight makes up for the Ewoks a little easier to stomach (A wing flying into the control tower to take down the Super Star Destroyer is great) but I'll always forgive Star Wars a lot of sins for its spaceship stuff, because it hasn't really been bettered.

Well said (as it's identical to my view) but replace the Ewoks with Wookies and everyone should have been happy.  

Loved the tone of the teaser, and no plot spoilers.   Read criticism levelled at the the camera following the Falcon but it's always been a fast and manoeuvrable ship and my guess is, up on the big screen it'll convey pulling G very nicely.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Jedi is ok, has the gold bikini for starters. It got considerably worse when Lucas turned the Sarlac pit into the plant from Little Shop of Horrors and added all the celebration shite at the end. As a kid I loved the escape from Jabba, and the scene where one of the ewoks is nudging his dead friend seemed incredibly sad. Now I'm just disappointed at Fett's comedy death and Hayden Cuntface as Anakin's ghost. Hopefully now Lucas isn't at the helm, at some point we'll get a BR release of the original trilogy without all of his alterations. Can't think of a single one that wasn't detrimental, never mind one that actually improved anything.

This is all true. I recently dug out my DVDs of the original trilogy, they were the very last release of the original versions. Digitally remastered, plus the original theatrical releases, they're about as good as you can get. I feel like I should rip them all and upload them to every torrent site in the world.
  • I think Jedi gets harder to watch as you get older, when I was a kid we loved the Ewoks and hated C-3PO, now I'm older, C-3POs camp indignance and frustration at his retarded dustbin companion are way more entertaining than when I was a retarded child who thought 'ugh I hate C-3PO, all he does is complain'.

I think the price of having to endure the Ewoks as an older viewer is worth it for the scene where Luke is just wailing on Vader as he goes to the floor and the things that conveys about Luke's journey up to that point and the knife edge he ends up on between not being like daddy and uh oh being like daddy. To badly approximate the quote from the Plinkett review of the opening shot of A New Hope 'this scene is so good that George probably had nothing to with it and fought to have it removed from the move'
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hasn't some guy painstakingly taken the blu ray rereleases and edited out all the later additions? I believe they're widely available online.
  • I tried to get them and it was a right pain
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's a guy who is re-shooting fx scenes from the original trilogy to a very high standard.

This guy.

He built miniatures and everything, it's all very slick.  ANH is spot on bar a shot of Tarkin missing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • n0face wrote:
    I tried to get them and it was a right pain

Yeah, ptp doesn't have it because it's not a proper release, never managed to dl a copy myself. Would love to give them a go.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They're huge files but I would have thought somebody would have uploaded an mp4 version by now.
  • I still cringe when I think my daughters will only ever get to see a version of A New Hope where Greedo shoots at Han.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!