The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Must say, I do enjoy discussing Star Wars a hell of a lot more than watching them.

I think I'll have to leave it as this - whatever of your feelings of the direction TLJ took or the quality of the movie itself, one thing that gets brought up is that it left the series with nowhere to go. I gotta say, this is the one thing that I find such rubbish. The first Star Wars came from nothing. Empire comes from a situation where there is nothing left to explore at the end of that movie. Bad guys big weapon gone, Vadar kicked to the curb by Han "not even a jedi" Solo and all the heroes super happy. Jedi kills of ALL the bad guys and yet Force Awakens managed to rebuild. 

All Rise needed was to be an entertaining movie that carried on the story of the characters still involved - Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe and the world they are in. It could do anything as long as those characters are there in that world. It had a budget of 275 million and a run time of 2 hours 20 minutes. Sure, it has to tie in a bit with the other 2 movies but there's nothing that cant be gotten around. If Jedi can throw in that Leia, out of the blue is also Vadars daughter or Empire can twist Vadar from being the Killer of Lukes Father to Lukes father, than anything can be done if done right.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Must say, I do enjoy discussing Star Wars a hell of a lot more than watching them.
    Thats true of the new trilogy for damn sure :D
    Im not going to argue your point about Rise having nowhere to go because you are right. Rise could have done a million different things and been great.

TLJ though, was a very poor middle chapter, in that it set nothing up for Rise really. No tantalizing hint of what might happen next. I really didnt give a fuck. Killed the trilogy stone dead for me. 
    Hark back to TFA, at the end of the movie Rey meets Luke and holds out his lightsaber. I mean come on, what a way to finish! The excitement of what would follow!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Episode 9 should have been set like 10 years later, there's peace in the galaxy, Rey and Kylo are married and trying to run a cafe together called Skywalkers. It's just a nice family drama about the stresses of running a small business as a family, and their unresolved issues with all the baggage they carry.
    "What do you mean you forget to order more Ketchup? I should have killed you back on that planet from Ep 7"
    "Oh there you go, back to that again. Go buy a helmet and cry in it why don't you?"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Star wars: the couples wars? Love it!
    SFV - reddave360
  • perhaps a soft reboot of 'war of the Roses', but called 'war of the Solos'
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Look what I made. :)

XLiRooU.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • :D
    I got that set a couple of months back.
    I really like the Brickheadz despite despising most chibi stuff like Funkopops.

The builds are fun. All that reverse, backwards 90 degree stud shenanigans didnt exist back in the day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been playing a bit of Star Wars Angry Birds on Wii too.    Innocent larfs and charm to the max. It has turn based 4 player modes too which makes it really. :)
  • Ooooh nice model. That Lego Razorcrest looks mighty fine. 
    My dream set would be the 800euro Falcon. Nomnom
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a Mando one in the box still to do.
  • Watch this appear in the fucking Switch thread or something.
    Repost to be in the correct thread.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Im doing Star Wars in chronological order!

It has been covered to hell so I have decided to go in open minded and just give thoughts on what I actually notice or feel throughout and not the deep analysis which people can get from watching Plinkett.

Starting with the original trilogy. Overall it is quite amazing how far CG developed across the 6 years between releases, TPM looks like it is from a totally different era to AotC and RotS. That being said there is a lot of CG in these and as impressive as RotS is for it's time it is aging in places and before long I think it is going to look quite ropey like TPM does now.

The Phantom Menace
    Hardly an original take but good lord Jar Jar Binks is insufferable. It has been a long time since I sat through this and clearly my tolerance for wacky characters has diminished. What isn't helped is that at least for the first two thirds of the movie when Jar Jar isn't talking there is likely some other wacky CG character with an annoying accent talking. That was my main take away from the movie. That and the horrific dialogue and extremely dull political scenes.

The rest of the issues largely passed me by. The pod race is still fun, Maul is good but under used.

Attack of the Clones
    Ok we are getting a bit more grown up now. This feels like a movie for all ages while TPM largely felt like a kids movie. Still far too much politics but Dexter Jetster aside we dodge annoying pricks.
    Action scenes are fun. Jango like Boba looks cool and has cool toys, doesn't matter too much that he dies easy.
    The only massively poor sections are the parts on Naboo with Padme and Anakin. These scenes reminded the episode of Always Sunny titled 'Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person'.
    AotC has the worst scenes but TPM remains the worst movie.

Revenge of the Sith
    Close but still not great. We finally get full Pantomime Palpatine who single handedly papers over many cracks. I never really buy Anakin as the man that becomes Vader, his actions never quite seem considered enough. There is a 19 year gap before Episode 1 so I guess there is time to become Vader but this version never sits right, "Noooooo" sums up this feeling. Lots of action, maybe too much in places but its entertaining. The best of the sequels but its a low bar.

• Solo: A Star Wars Story

Fucking shit subtitle. Who thought that was a good idea.

Anyway the actual movie I much preferred second time round. Its too dark and the origin of the name Solo is shit and should have never got past the lips of whoever's brain fart it was.

The rest made for a good heist caper through space though. The other Han Solo explanations didn't bother me too much and some are even well done. Always nice to see OG trilogy Imperial designs. All the sets and costumes look great actually. I also can quite happily watch Emilia Clarke all day.

I noticed freckles from Falcon and W.Soldier makes an appearance playing basically the same role and is just as unconvincing. Not sure what Disney see in her.
  • Was L3 any more bearable this time around?
  • I was pretty fresh off the back of Jar Jar Binks, Watto, the not Chinese Chinese trade aliens, fat Jar Jar Binks and Dexter Jetster.
    So she was a breath of fresh air.
  • Lol, a gleaming turd amongst the rest
  • I quite liked L3.
    I didn’t mind Solo at all, I would agree the origins story part was uninspired and I would argue completely unnecessary.
    Should just had a cold open with solo already being a smuggler. But a fresh faced one.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Didn't think solo worked great but I felt I would have liked it more if it was a star wars movie but not about solo. It didn't deepen the actual character at all or reveal anything interesting but it could have been a fine spring board for non- original trilogy based star wars.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I would be happy for it to be a no name.
    Unfortunately Disney seem very safe with the live action Star Wars movies in comparison to Marvel.
    Even TLJ which appears to throw everything out the window is still about Skywalkers and Solos and the shadow of Vader.

• Solo was a grand movie, if not linked to Han, like ye say. Loved it though when Chewie ripped that guys arms off
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The best bit in Solo was when Darth Maul showed what a big bad ass he is by turning on his light saber. I cheered. I shouted. I fist pumped the air. I cried. I stood and cheered. It was absolutely everything I hoped it was going to be
  • WHY DOES HAN SOLO REFER TO THE MILLENIUM FALCON A SHE?
    because the computer was the love of his life turned into a SAT NAV MAP.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve watched Solo. I really can’t remember anything about it. As much as the prequels are bad they are at least memorable.
  • I think Phantom Menace is underrated.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I can’t get past the kid. I really hate the kid. I’d even forgive Jar Jar if he got rid of the kid.
  • Yeah. He really was such a little prick. But Qui Gon and Ewan Kenobi were good. And don't forget Yaddle
  • phantom menace is the best of the prequels IMO. maybe i'm just more forgiving cos it was the first, but for me each sequel got progressively worse and stupider, certainly none of them were good enough to in anyway redeem or reverse the sense of disappointment of them all as it went along.
  • that's not to say Phantom Menace isn't also stupid obviously. but the pod race was fun at the time, and duel of the fates bit is great.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I can’t get past the kid. I really hate the kid. I’d even forgive Jar Jar if he got rid of the kid.
    Yeah. He really was such a little prick.

His life was ruined by bullying and paranoid schizophrenia after the film, so at least he got his just desserts, yeah? Yeah?? Are you happy now?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There's a cut scene where little Ani beats up a young Greedo for no reason. I'm not lying.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @ERE - Calm down Fanakin

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!