The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Why do the meat cutters just down tools and leave all the fresh meat out in the sun to rot when they finish their shifts? Must be fucking stinking when they come back the next morning.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh, and alien races must have one single set of common characteristics, with only the slightest variation between them. Bothans are great spies, are they? How did they become a space-faring nation when all Bothans were just spending all of their time spying on each other?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Why does this look like less of a convincing world than Firefly?

That’s cos Firefly am best.

• g.man wrote:
    It's a small thing, and it applies to a lot of sci-fi, but Star Wars is probably the main offender, and this really grinds my gears. The scale of planets. Planets in Star Wars consist of either one city, or if it's a backwater like Tatooine, a couple of towns...and that's it. Now I don't know if anyone has noticed, but planets are actually pretty fucking big, and this pisses me off.

Oh I really hate that, but I've come to live with it.  Same with games, but at least for that it has to be limited because dev time and tech limits etc.  Like towns and village consist of just a few buildings and there are just a handful of these across a huge gameworld.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Firefly has deserts, mud flats, small towns, massive cities and floating island paradises all in one glorious season. Just saying.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Weren’t those on multiple different planets? It’s been a while since I watched it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Possibly
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Weren’t those on multiple different planets? It’s been a while since I watched it.

To the best of my knowledge, firefly doesn't feature aliens so all the planets are basically settlements which sort of helps explain a certain degree of homogeny. It's also set on the outskirts so most of the worlds really only do contain small towns.

It's not the same as all klingons dress the same.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oh, and alien races must have one single set of common characteristics, with only the slightest variation between them. Bothans are great spies, are they? How did they become a space-faring nation when all Bothans were just spending all of their time spying on each other?
    Tv tropes - Planet of Hats
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, firefly doesn't feature aliens so all the planets are basically settlements which sort of helps explain a certain degree of homogeny. It's also set on the outskirts so most of the worlds really only do contain small towns.

And most of the outer planets were terraformed and frontiers hence the western vibe.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Davy, it’s still ok if you just switch your brain off.

Cheers. That's rather easy for me. I am actually quite easy to please when it comes to hokum like Star Wars.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember that episode of Star Trek (classic) where the people's faces were black on one side and white on the other but their racism was based on which side was which?  Was a good 'un.

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode where everyone looked the same too?

Planets with one weather system (desert, snow, forest) is a classic but I don't really care too much about it. SW was always just an update of Flash Gordon - even had a cloud city. That structure of "sequence of tight squeezes" which made the first one such a success.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

And most of the outer planets were terraformed and frontiers hence the western vibe.

And! If I remember right, the show runners deliberately took the approach that human culture would become a mishmash of east and west with Chinese and American cultures the most dominant. Hence the swearing in mandarin
    SFV - reddave360
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Why do the meat cutters just down tools and leave all the fresh meat out in the sun to rot when they finish their shifts? Must be fucking stinking when they come back the next morning.

This also rankled me. It’s like nobody on the writing team had even basic knowledge how a factory functions. Just have another shift handover, not let the elements, critters or thieves get at the valuable food.

Also, attempting to conceal your Jedi identity whist letting the worlds see there’s a lightsaber dangling from your hip…

Back to Arcane then.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be fair, it was revealed in the prequel trilogy that Kenobi had been attempting to hide his Jedi identity by walking around in Jedi robes at all times, so what difference would a lightsaber make?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Heavy garb and hooded robes seemed all the rage for the mature man at the Outer Rim.

HsndvLc.jpg

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • in a universe where the son of the baddest man in the galaxy is hidden with said bad man's family, on the planet he was raised, in the place where he buried his mother, with the son keeping his surname...saying "i'm not a jedi" while wearing jedi robes is the height of cleverness to be fair
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian wrote:
    To be fair, it was revealed in the prequel trilogy that Kenobi had been attempting to hide his Jedi identity by walking around in Jedi robes at all times, so what difference would a lightsaber make?

Eh what? That doesn't make sense. I think red letter media have raised it as a ossible mistake of design that the jedi in the prequels wore the same robes as the jedi in hiding kenobi
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Eh what? That doesn't make sense. I think red letter media have raised it as a ossible mistake of design that the jedi in the prequels wore the same robes as the jedi in hiding kenobi
    I think that was the joke Yoss was making
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think that was the joke Yoss was making

Don't I feel like a half witted nervous herder...
    SFV - reddave360
  • I love the way its normal now in SW for gangs of thugs,mandalorians and jedi masters to just get regular space buses.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • OMG LEIA IS FALLING HUNDREDS OF FEET TO CERTAIN DEATH!
    KyJ7w6p.png

OMG BEN USES HIS AWESOME FORCE POWA TO SAVE HER!
    K0OAqCG.png

OMG LEIA SITS UP AND IS FINE!
    cncnbAB.png

OMG AS SHE SITS UP BEN RUNS AROUND THE CORNER AND CHECKS SHE'S OK!
    MpvHEKZ.png

It has taken Ben five seconds in real time to evade the robot bounty hunter that is currently firing on him, find the stairs on the rooftop, negotiate his way down through the buildings, and run around the corner.

JEDI POWA!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Couldn’t he have jumped down and used his force power to not die himself?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think a big problem that Star Wars TV is running into is that they got Jon Favreau, one of the tippedy-top special effects-based movie making people, and Dave Filoni, probably the closest thing Star Wars has to a successor to George Lucas, to hash out how to make Star Wars work on TV in the form of the Mandalorian and now you have a bunch of jobbing TV directors from Mando essentially taking the path of least resistance and just re-hashing Mando in their own projects. I think they've probably ended up with the opposite problem from the Disney-era Star Wars movies - they've got their overarching Kevin Fiege-type figures but they haven't got strong enough creative talent on the individual shows.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian wrote:
    He could have, but then he would have probably jumped down and landed right beside her. Instead, the implication is that he has exited the rooftop using more conventional means.
    If he'd used his awesome Jedi Powa to float down, then I suspect it would have caused something of a commotion to do it round the corner in the main street where all the passers by are.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    He could have, but then he would have probably jumped down and landed right beside her. Instead, the implication is that he has exited the rooftop using more conventional means. If he'd used his awesome Jedi Powa to float down, then I suspect it would have caused something of a commotion to do it round the corner in the main street where all the passers by are.
    you're also forgetting that obi wan had seemingly forgotten how to use the force through acting normal for so long, though fortunately retained (or gained) some martial arts combat training. catching leia seemed to take it right out of him, so obviously he must have took a nearby slide that we hadn't seen so he could get his breath back
  • Ewan mcGregor must have used all his acting chops to channel that "I'm past it, wtf have I done with my life" energy in these episodes. Tip of th hat to him.

The ending of episode 2... My Lord.

That poor girl. Being made to run like that on film
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian wrote:

He probably tried to top himself but subconsciously the force saved him

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched the first 2 eps of Obi Wan.

It could have been a lot worse with the little girl. A child version of Leia would be a pain in the arse but the little girl manages to walk the line.

Ewan is great.

Some cheap looking backgrounds at times which surprised me but overall I thought it was OK. I'll keep watching for now. This could just end up as a Mando rerun with Obi Wan and Leia sprite swaps for Mando and baby Yoda. I hope for more than that.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suspect that your spoiler may not stick.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!