The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Episode 1 will be a crossover with Star Trek, entitled: No-one's ever really Gorn...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • g.man wrote:
    YAS!

That's tonight's viewing sorted. Just finishing a repeat viewing of Revenge of Middle Management, so good timing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Attack of the phantom past I think is my favourite- the whole Christmas parade stuff at the start gets me everything.

Fav line:

"I don't understand, I was a good boy!"

"Yeah wedge, I don't think that's the issue right now!!"
    SFV - reddave360
  • SURPRISE BITCHES!
  • Hello sexy!
    SFV - reddave360
  • "Whoah, chicken horse! I couldn't have gotten sober without you. I hope you're real."
    Gamertag: gremill
  • :D
  • I thought the possibility of spin offs was strong with this one.
    Spoiler:

You forgot the Hilarious Fake Jedi. A light-hearted romp about scamming your way through the galaxy. For sure that will happen.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I finally finished the first episode. I still don't understand who this is for. Was anyone actually interested in seeing a young Leia? Why are they so obsessed with filling in the gaps of what we already know instead of telling new stories. This stuff doesn't add anything or improve anything to what we already have.

Oh no Uncle Owen is being threatened, I wonder how this will end!
  • I finally finished the first episode. I still don't understand who this is for. Was anyone actually interested in seeing a young Leia? Why are they so obsessed with filling in the gaps of what we already know instead of telling new stories. This stuff doesn't add anything or improve anything to what we already have. Oh no Uncle Owen is being threatened, I wonder how this will end!

Nail on the head. 

Cant understand why they are so focuesed on the old from a narrative point of view. It really limits what you can do. Surely they should be trying to make the new Luke, the new Leia and the new Vader.

As I've said before they got the casting bang on in Force Awakens for all those roles but a lack of forward thinking and stupidy in allowing directors to shit on preceeding films (which ever movie you like/ dont like) meant that gen is burnt but they could still create a new mythos which could lead into films.

Are any of the proposed tv shows set in the current time of Star wars or are they all prequels of some sort?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah they did a great job with those new characters and even though I'm one of those Last Jedi peeps I do think it did a bad job of continuing their stories.
    I do wonder if the reception to the new movies scared them back into the shell of the old and familiar. Too frightened to do anything new again
  • https://www.ign.com/articles/upcoming-new-star-wars-movies-2022-tv-shows-release-dates

Not sure how up to date that is but anything concrete seems to be set in the past. I can understand it helps marketing but would be nice if one show was set in the now. I'm guessing they just don't have a firm idea where it is going yet.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Stupidy in allowing directors to shit on preceeding films

I maintain that the narrative started in the Force Awakens needed shitting on to some extent. It was a decent film, but it was basically a retelling of A New Hope, what did that open the sequel up to apart from retelling Empire Strikes Back?

The mistake, IMO, was either in not following through on Johnson’s more original vision, or in allowing TFA to have been essentially a remake of ANH in the first place.
  • They'll probably just reboot the whole film thing again in a few years. The cast of those films may have burned their bridges with Disney for now, but eventually they'll cave to a massive paycheck the way all the OG cast did. You'll get A New New Hope, with a cameo from Daisy Ridley or some such, and the wheel spins again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If Star Wars and Alien sequels have confirmed one thing, it's that explaining things and filling in the gaps can never match what people filled their minds with after watching the originals.

So yeah - they could have easily had a branch with the Obi Wan character totally unrelated to the main storyline. Even if it was an underground network of the remaining Jedi fighting a guerilla war with the Empire that could have set up some good scenarios.

I liked the segment in The Clone Wars with Obi Wan on his own mini-adventure and scrapping with Jango - possibly the best bit of that film at least.
  • Star wars 10 - the newest hope.

Not sure I'd agree that TFA was a mis step. They needed to revitalise the brand , it established the new characters and yes, leaned into nostalgia a bit much but I think this is the way to do it. Saying it left no narrative follow up can be said of last jedi and I think in both cases it's not true. Both movies left enough for a sequel to sensible follow.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It wasn’t a misstep if you were then willing to allow someone to subvert the expectations it created and follow through on that. Your argument is that they needed to revitalise the franchise with fresh characters, which is true, but they also needed to revitalise it with fresh stories, which TFA failed to do and which TLJ tried to do.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of the biggest flaws in the fill in films was the revelation that the Death Star Was designed with the weakness built in. I remember inwardly slumping at the time.
  • Oh wow, that rooftop to alley cut was worse than I thought. So much of this makes me wonder if they did more than one draft. Or maybe just made it up as they went? There's a lot of ADR.

I do think the little girl is pretty good as young Leia though
  • Aye, the wee girl was fine. Good cast all round really. Massively let down by piss-tier writing.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I maintain that the narrative started in the Force Awakens needed shitting on to some extent. It was a decent film, but it was basically a retelling of A New Hope, what did that open the sequel up to apart from retelling Empire Strikes Back? The mistake, IMO, was either in not following through on Johnson’s more original vision, or in allowing TFA to have been essentially a remake of ANH in the first place.
    I don't really want to open the TLJ can of worms again. But I am still curious. In what way was Johnson's vision original? What even was his vision? What do you think his vision was?

I agree with whoever up there said it. Going back and filling in established character's backstory and events mentioned in passing is a terrible idea. The execution can never live up to expectations. If taking Prometheus and Covenant as Alien canon, then for me that utterly spoils and ruins what the Aliens are. For me, Aliens have always been shrouded in mystery, this unknown, ancient species that were found by chance on a remote world. Prometheus and Covenant just shit all over that, utterly ruining the concept of what the Alien is IMO. Same with Star Wars, that Solo movie, while not bad as a movie, is just dogshit when its considered Han Solo's backstory. Disney need to move on with new characters. No legends, no EU, just all new in a new corner of the galaxy. They need to assemble a proper writing crew and get some damn good directors on board.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I maintain that the narrative started in the Force Awakens needed shitting on to some extent. It was a decent film, but it was basically a retelling of A New Hope, what did that open the sequel up to apart from retelling Empire Strikes Back? The mistake, IMO, was either in not following through on Johnson’s more original vision, or in allowing TFA to have been essentially a remake of ANH in the first place.
    I don't really want to open the TLJ can of worms again. But I am still curious. In what way was Johnson's vision original? What even was his vision? What do you think his vision was?

We’ll never know because he didn’t get to finish what he started. I do know that it wasn’t simply rehashing the earlier films, though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It wasn’t a misstep if you were then willing to allow someone to subvert the expectations it created and follow through on that. Your argument is that they needed to revitalise the franchise with fresh characters, which is true, but they also needed to revitalise it with fresh stories, which TFA failed to do and which TLJ tried to do.

I'm ranting at something a little different to this (although I agree they need fresh characters etc.) 

I'm just wondering why the obsession with setting your narratives in worlds where everything is pretty much already resolved. In Obi Wan, how could you feel like Leia or Obi were in any peril? Even the fight between Vader and Obi is kinda pointless - we know neither one of them dies. Yeah, we get a nice scene but thats it. 

To be fair, the story of Kenobi and Vaders first rematch is probably worth a go around but a lot of the star wars line up is set in times where we know more or less what happens and any deviatiions only undermine the established narratives in my view.

As for Johnson, I cant speak for the guy but it was clear he wanted to, as Kylo puts it, tear down the established star wars restrictions. No dark side/ light side. No Empire vs Rebels. At a guess, the arms dealers were being set up as the new big bad who were pitting small regions against each other and perpetuating galaxy wide war. I wouldnt have been surprised if Kylo and Rei had joined in a third movie against them, thus bringing a balance to the force. Another option I though he could take was an unhinged Kylo wrecking havoc across the galaxy with whats left of the first order. Not taking control, just burning the universe to the ground and Rei has to stop him.

I might be putting words in mouths but one of the biggest gripes some people had was the decision to kill Snoke because he was built up as the big bad but thats the thing - who says you need a big bad guy like palpatine? Thats been done. Snoke getting killed so throwaway was great to me because instead of thinking that the movies were just going to build to Kylo trying to get Rei to go Darkside while Snoke plays puppeteer a-la the emperor, when Snoke dies I didn't know the direction the story would go. Thats a plus for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I'm ranting at something a little different to this (although I agree they need fresh characters etc.) 

I'm just wondering why the obsession with setting your narratives in worlds where everything is pretty much already resolved. In Obi Wan, how could you feel like Leia or Obi were in any peril? Even the fight between Vader and Obi is kinda pointless - we know neither one of them dies. Yeah, we get a nice scene but thats it. 

That’s a fair question, but I said before Kenobi came out that this was one of the few pieces of SW back story that felt ripe for exploration. Kenobi’s conflicted feelings after his showdown with Anakin, the Empire taking over the galaxy, the shadow of Vader hanging over it all. Not saying that everything should be set in the past, but I have no problem with them deciding to look at this particular part of it.

As for Johnson, I cant speak for the guy but it was clear he wanted to, as Kylo puts it, tear down the established star wars restrictions. No dark side/ light side. No Empire vs Rebels. At a guess, the arms dealers were being set up as the new big bad who were pitting small regions against each other and perpetuating galaxy wide war. I wouldnt have been surprised if Kylo and Rei had joined in a third movie against them, thus bringing a balance to the force. Another option I though he could take was an unhinged Kylo wrecking havoc across the galaxy with whats left of the first order. Not taking control, just burning the universe to the ground and Rei has to stop him.

I might be putting words in mouths but one of the biggest gripes some people had was the decision to kill Snoke because he was built up as the big bad but thats the thing - who says you need a big bad guy like palpatine? Thats been done. Snoke getting killed so throwaway was great to me because instead of thinking that the movies were just going to build to Kylo trying to get Rei to go Darkside while Snoke plays puppeteer a-la the emperor, when Snoke dies I didn't know the direction the story would go. Thats a plus for me.

Bringing Snoke back could have been done easily enough, it may even have been the plan. It’s not like every other fucker who’s been killed in Star Wars isn’t brought back.
  • I'd agree with all that yoss. Certain stories in the past are worth telling and kenobi vader is defo one(but on that, why did they add leia? It makes no sense for dramatic tension or for the series lore) but to my original point it seems everything that is slated is prequel based.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It does makes sense to do stuff from the period between the PT and OT now before the cast of the PT and Rogue One/Solo age out of their roles.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Each to their own I guess. Think they would be better building forward, seeing what sticks.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Leia angle was a bait and switch considering the marketing ramp up before was all based around him spying on Luke. In my opinion they skirted too close with the Leia kidnapping and should have just focused on the Vader / Ben relationship.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Leia is undoubtedly a more interesting character than Luke, and they needed some sort of pull to get Kenobi back in the saddle. Plus, the whole thing did tie into Leia recognising Kenobi’s name in ANH. I thought it was a good move.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!