The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    What happened to the prequel to the prequels?  A film that was supposed be set in the same time period as the forthcoming Quantic Dream game, you know, when the Jedi were supposed to be in their pomp and lauding it over everyone?
    Star Wars: Jedi Wankers.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    You’re thinking of The Acolyte. That’s a TV series, not a film.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There is a prequel prequel film coming out but that’s about the origin of the Jedi. I don’t think it’s dated yet.
  • Midichlorian origin story.
    Get your lady shaves ready.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’ll spoiler this in case people prefer to wait for official announcements but according to credible rumours…
    Spoiler:
  • Noooooooooo!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    What if we put a pin in it all?
    Things can only get better.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Lol, I knew you would love it.
  • I heard about the Lego set and wondered if it would be a Visions type tie in
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I ended up reading the comics, novel and short stories that make up the Dawn of the Jedi series, the Legends-era initiative that created an original Star Wars setting that is set 36,453 years before A New Hope and are the chronologically earliest Star Wars stories created so far.

In this early time period, the Jedi exist as the Je’daii Order, the descendants of Force-sensitive settlers who were brought to the Tython system by mysterious pyramidal spaceships ten thousand years previously. In a time before hyperdrives the residents of the Tython system are unable to leave and the Je’daii are yet to invent lightsabers, although the precursors to those famous laser swords may be on the horizon…

There is a ton of lore here, perhaps disproportionate to the amount of story that actually uses this setting (the Disney acquisition brought the series to a premature end). The planet of Tython is packed with mysteries, Je’daii temples and Je’daii characters, each with their own elaborate backstories. Non-Force users have migrated to the other planets of the Tython system with each, again, having its own lore. While it’s a lot to take in given the setting was never fully explored, it does provide evidence for the argument that Star Wars might be better off allowing creatives to explore their own corners of the Star Wars universe as what exists here is coherent and interesting, if dense.

In the Dawn of the Jedi comics, the Je’daii are threatened by the evil Rakatan empire and must deflect their invasion. In the prequel novel, Into the Void, the Je’daii ranger Lanoree must protect the Tython system from her brother, who has turned away from the Force and threatens to open a hypergate that could destroy the entire system. A couple of short stories written to promote Into the Void round off the era.

The stories are enjoyable action adventure fare and do a good job of introducing the reader to this new setting, although are nothing genuinely exceptional. The comics, in particular, are forced to rush to a conclusion during the last five issues due to the licence moving from Dark Horse to Marvel, although at least the story is complete. It’s unfortunate that the Disney acquisition prevented this setting from progressing further - if a couple of standout stories had been written in this era, it could have ended up as a fan-favourite. Still, it’s a competently produced, quirky corner of the Star Wars universe.

On to the Old Republic era…
  • Rakatan are the aliens near the end of KOTOR aren't they?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, I think their appearance in Dawn of the Jedi is based on references to their history in the Old Republic stuff.
  • Rakatan are the aliens near the end of KOTOR aren't they?

I thought it was online shopping store thing
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I rewatched the Force Awaken trailer after watching the new ghostbusters one and it brought back all of the excitement Ifelt when I first saw the film, then followed with the crushing disappointment of where the franchise went.. sigh
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's deep dives and then there's deep dives.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    I rewatched the Force Awaken trailer after watching the new ghostbusters one and it brought back all of the excitement Ifelt when I first saw the film, then followed with the crushing disappointment of where the franchise went.. sigh

Still gives the tingles.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to the 25th Anniversary Ep 1 screening. It's a movie for kids.

Spoilers
    Spoiler:
  • I watched the original trilogy last month.
    It is 100% as bad as it ever was but oh my the general standards have gone down elsewhere so much that it doesn't seem as bad.

I'm not just talking the sequel trilogy but a lot of the other dirge blockbuster crap that gets released now.

Qui Gon's bet remains unfathomable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ship Vs slave
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I watched the original trilogy last month.
    It is 100% as bad as it ever was but oh my the general standards have gone down elsewhere so much that it doesn't seem as bad.

I'm not just talking the sequel trilogy but a lot of the other dirge blockbuster crap that gets released now.

Qui Gon's bet remains unfathomable.

Do you mean the prequel trilogy?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Vs podracer Vs hyperdrive BUT not the mother because no ship is worth two slaves and only if he wins BUT let's roll some dice to be sure.

Meanwhile Ewan McGregor waits back at the ship.
  • @Ram

Sorry yes, 100% prequel trilogy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Vs podracer Vs hyperdrive BUT not the mother because no ship is worth two slaves and only if he wins BUT let's roll some dice to be sure.

Meanwhile Ewan McGregor waits back at the ship.

What's your problem he's a jedi knight he sees the future
  • And moves really fast but only once.
  • I did also watch the OG trilogy. All 3 are still great.

Hope. Superb but very simple which is fine. Best capped at HD. 4K really starts to show the budget, especially Vader's suit. The upgraded, added Jabba scene is a big improvement but still not necessary.

Empire. Best Star Wars.

Jedi. Not as bad as often made out to be but suffers most from the 90s Special Edition stuff.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I feel like Phantom Menace took a lot of the brunt for people’s disappointment with the sequel trilogy in general but is arguably the closest to a cromulent film. Attack of the Clones is dreadful and the first half of Revenge of the Sith is also very bad but it seems Phantom Menace has ended up as the punching bag for all the rage. There are even a lot more practical effects in there than people think - IIRC it’s just the Gungans vs Droids battle that is all CGI and not mixed in with a lot of practical. Not that it’s a good film at all but it doesn’t deserve to be the nexus of prequel hate.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Empire Strikes Back is still legit for me. The rest of the og 3 and even the prequels all have something to enjoy but ESB is consistent. But then ESB is one of my greatest ever cinema experiences. I was 14 and it was mind boggling in 1980...plus the reveal. Epic nostalgia factor.

The prequels are just too long but I still indulge myself my liking them.

The sequels are dross. But I liked Rogue 1.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I like Force Awakens. It's very safe but that's ok.

I did like the costume and ship design of the sequels too. Kylo Ren was good as well, big ol' broad boy.
  • To be honest I even liked the Emperor coming back because by that stage why not. I'll always be happy to see McDermott revelling in the role however stupid the premise.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!