Elite: Dangerous
  • Fuck April's Fools. I just read a thing about ED getting loot boxes and nearly had a full on fit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Here's a complete no thrills first mission from start to end (via a death or two) if anyone fancies it. It's the most basic mission type that requires no upgrades or grinding.

• FYI. I’m watching these. 
    Just not getting excited because, Xbox and there’ll be a bit of a wait.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Good stuff. You're in for a treat when it arrives. It's already pretty good and it hasn't opened end up yet. Here's the roadmap.

Frontier-details-the-roadmap-for-Elite-Dangerous-Odyssey-alpha-1.jpg

As you've probably noticed, after each expansion there's usually 3 or 4 unpaid ones over the next year or two, plus all the realtime and evolving events they have in the persistent universe. Good to see Galnet back in full force too.
  • It's lovely being able to walk about in space year 2021.

edo_alpha-02_john-jpg.216356
  • Mum! We’re being attacked by giant space aliens!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Heh, the scale can look a bit nuts sometimes. When the update that allows you to land on planets dropped some guy in the subreddit decided to drive right around a smallish moon in his buggy and it took him 3 actual days.
  • Dear god the taxis. I get it's alpha and they want everyone in the same system interacting but jfc the taxis are painful.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-01-frontier-addresses-elite-dangerous-odyssey-alphas-tedious-space-taxis-and-murder-planets
  • For the first time ever I'm starting to get into the dogfight stuff. VR gives you a considerable advantage as you can look around freely whilst you're lining up a manoeuvre but it's still exhausting. Dogfights can be long and drawn out but it's a pleasure to watch two people who are good at it dueling it out. Insured or not, the sense of loss can still be devasting when you get griefed.

• In a bid to hype up this rather amazing game and get more people in the forum involved I'm going to keep posting regular vids. 

The game is crossplay and here's the first recorded contact with a Thargoid, which is about 4 yrs ago now and by an Xbox player called DP Sayre.

• Autodocking.

Prodocking.

General madness.

• I'd get back into it, but I'm a bit scared of trying to remember what all my HOTAS button bindings were.
  • Get a voicepack. So much easier but more immersive too.
  • Does your ship still talk to you in the voice of William Shatner?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It does if you own the voicepack. Normally it's a generic female voice confirming button presses but the voicepacks also allow you to give direct voice commands to the computer, which helps a fucktonne because of the amount of buttons that need to be mapped. If you're in VR it's pretty unworkable without a voice pack. 

There's a shitload to choose from and if you get more than one they'll actually interact between themselves for set procedures involving multiple commands.

You can get rude ones too.

Edit: If you do buy one wait for a sale, which are frequent. ASTRA is the most useful in terms of what she can do and she's updated the most as the game evolves. Probs around £6 or so in a sale.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    This is on Gamepass.  I might dabble.
    Get schwifty.
  • YT is your friend once you get started. There's a lot to learn but if you get into it it's ace. The Odyssey (paid) update will arrive on consoles at some point and that changes the game a lot, as did the Horizons update before that.

Edit: And play it with headphones. The sound design is magnificent.
  • Is it still a pain to get vice commands working? I have up last time.
  • The main issue is that you have to use a custom control method or it won't work at all. And also run it as admin iirc. I seem to remember that it would hear my voice but not execute the commands but if you just switch the control method it works fine. I used the Hotas preset and it was ok. The good thing about the presets is the key bindings are also pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/enbtfi/voice_attack_responding_but_not_executing_commands/
  • Remember that the voicepacks sit on top of Voice Attack and it's the VA that can have issues setting up.
  • n0face wrote:
    Is it still a pain to get vice commands working? I have up last time.
    Well blow me.
  • g.man wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    Is it still a pain to get vice commands working? I have up last time.
    Well blow me.

//monotone computer voice

*Self destruct sequence initiated, Graham*

//end message
  • Finally! A computer that doesn't just launch 4OD when I ask it to do something!
  • Hang on a minute...
  • g.man wrote:
    Finally! A computer that doesn't just launch 4OD when I ask it to do something!

Forgot whether I mentioned it here or not but in anticipation for when I eventually get one of those delicious looking Series S box things, I set up an Xbox account and my username is something like Launch4OD - in your honour, you understand.

Edit:

Just checked - gamertag is Open4OD
  • Brilliant :D
  • Well I tried this again the other day ..... and was completely lost and could not remember a button and was in the middle of no where clearly where I gave up last time , and I’m still just as lost hahah
  • I'd probably start again. The starting tutorials are a bit better now. Do courier runs to start until you get the hang of flying and the most useful tip is the 7 second rule.
  • Press X Chaz!
  • I started this yesterday and went through the basic training. It looks amazing and I am quickly getting the bug to go play it instead of stupid working from home

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!