Games what "we" wrote
  • ShabbyMcCrabby pointed me to this thread from a post I made in the iOS Gaming thread, and suggested I also posted here to let you know about a game I've made.

It's called Kiln and is for Android and iOS, it costs 69p, and is an updated take on the ball and paddle type game (think Arkanoid and Breakout). 

It is motion controlled and features 85 challenging levels, starting with a very basic level and moving through levels with scrolling screens, multiple paddles, dynamic 3 dimensional effects and bullet balls (although I call the balls 'pucks' as they are square not spherical).

There is (imho) quite a lot of content there and if you (miraculously - best I've managed so far is 1 to about 60) manage to play it through to the end in one game it will take ~3.5 hours. Progress is saved on completion of every 5 levels (i.e. complete level 5 and you can restart a game at level 6, complete level 10 and you can restart at level 11 etc).

The promotional video can be seen here

And it available on iOS here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kiln/id569011001?mt=8
    and Google Play here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bleatbleat.kiln
  • Tidy and impressive looking graphics you have there for your marble game LazyGunn.
  • For mobile play, it'd be nice if it saved after fewer levels; if you're right at the end of the fifth just as you have to get off the train it's frustrating having to start.

Other than that, it's a solid game; I like breakout games, grabbed it from Play. I'd normally ask for touch control, but the aim mechanic wouldn't be as satisfying without the physical aspect of it.
  • Thanks for the comments AJ_
      With regards to the getting off the train.... 
      You can either press the home button, which will cause Android to save the state of the game until you reselect to play it (but it will be using memory in the background - which may or may not be a problem for you). 
      Or you can press the back button, and select 'exit game' - which will quit the application, but let you restart from the beginning of level 5 by selecting continue next time you start the app. (Note - in a, possibly excessive attempt to stop cheating, when you exit the application from a running game the restart/continue will be from the start of the current level, starting with the score at which you entered the level and with either the number of balls that you had when you originally started the level or the number of balls that you had when you quit - whichever is less).
  • Oh, that sounds okay. Presumably it'll let me continue when it's put into the background and then the system closes it because it needs the memory? That's very likely to happen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Guessing this is relevant here

New video game engines announced for Windows Phone 8
    The game engines mentioned in the presentation today were Unity, Cocos2D, Havok, Marmalade, and Ogre. Gaming components included SharpDC, Photon, and Autodesk.
    There's also a cheap Dev Center account offer for the next 8 7 days.
  • Ooh Kiln look dandy.What did you code it in?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • AJ_ - Yes, the current game resume state is recorded on completing a level (and on going back to the main menu from the pause screen if the current game state has fewer balls than the level was started with). This means that the continue option is available if the phone crashes on the next level, and (as in your scenario) if the phone terminates a non-active instance to free-up memory.

superflyninja - I evaluated a number of frameworks, but ended up using Unity which suited my working style fine. I found it a robust and decent tool, but didn't use the built-in object collision detection/physics for the core gameplay as it did not provide the required accuracy for the style of game.
  • gamerluke wrote:
    Tidy and impressive looking graphics you have there for your marble game LazyGunn.

cheers! i'm a mega graphics nerd and chiefly an artist rather than a programmer so that becomes my dealio

talking of marble game, its now free, look for the fancy one  or ogles 1.1 version under 'flarble badness' on google play store, have fun. i suppose it still isnt technically finished i keep getting distracted by my billion and a half ongoing unity projects (why im not around much on internets) but yeah, enjoy!

luke what physics did you use? some fellows mostly ported box2d over and ive read about plans for a bullet physics port too, im assuming you wrote your own however

unity 4 has actually got me really excited about graphics things and i've been doing all sorts of reading on the matter, including a GREAT set of videos on shader writing that have me super inspired by the guy's BDRF, half lambert + rim and oren nayer shaders. these arent even new ideas but yes, am super inspired, currently modelling a really over-ambitios buggy thing that is intended to be able to switch into walker and heli modes with intricate animation. headache. but yeah, it'll be like a cross between Walker and SWIV on t'amiga (and im still doing chase hq thingy but waiting on a few things, and my other thing, mainly relearning how to model decently atm though however)

great news about win mobile support in unity, they've added linux and i assume improved on flash support in 4, so if they can break webgl then it's about as complete a solution i can think of, great news indeed for the indie community
  • I liked Kiln so much I actually spent money and bought the Android version. Cheers again Luke for the promo.
  • Unity uses the PhysX engine, which is a powerful physics engine and supports 3D, whilst I don't believe box2D supports 3D it is possibly slightly faster from a performance perspective. However, I didn't feel either would suit Kiln as they both rely on discrete checks and are optimised to provide approximations of real world behaviour. I found that (with very fast moving items) even with the physics timestep set to very small values collisions were still occasionally being missed and collisions were sometimes being detected on the wrong side of an object.
      I therefore didn't use  physics at all for the core gameplay. Every frame the code works out how far an item should move, and checks for collisions recursively (using Unity's raycast call) until the item has moved the correct distance (various bounding box checks are used in places as well), then the item's position is updated. This allowed for complete control of the arcade style movement I wanted for the ball and paddle. I do attach rigidbodies to the destroyed brick fragments and use forces on those as it was easier and hopefully more efficient.
     I agree, Unity 4 looks great. The number of platforms they are going to support is quite something.
  • Cheers WorKid, glad you like it :-)
  • Makes sense! Probably a bit too heavy for me i like making things prety mainly, which has gotten heavy, suddenly, as in how do i blur a cubemap in a shader etc. Conquered transcribing oren nayar from youtube however and unity surface shaders dont seem too terribly hard sometimes, bit like compositing in photoshop once you have a lighting model. I may eat my words. Great work anyways, its good seeing how theres always many options open other than the ones unity provide. Unity 4 free is in beta now by the way, you might want to take a look.
  • as much as i find these things to be a mistake as its not meant to be played with a mouse, here's a webplayer

http://www.pourfoi.com/Marble/
  • Hi LazyGunn (or anyone else who can answer it), just a quick question regarding (free) unity3.5 vs unity4....i'm still yet to embark on my new project* really, and have now forgotten almost all of the small amount of unity knowledge i had, but I was wondering whether to stick with 3.5 or jump to 4.  basically, is 4 better in every way, or is there stuff from 3.5 that has either been made 'premium' or over-complicated in the new version?  looking at it from the 'ease of getting started' angle rather than 'the most AAA that the end result could possibly look'!

* 'project' is a little mis-leading.  more accurate would be 'one of the various ideas that flit about my head that i keep thinking "one day i'll try to make a game in unity"'! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hmm, i'm flitting about between 4 and 3.5 and 4 seems to omit nothing and add a bunch more, i'm getting drunk tonight but will get started with mechanim tomorrow or the day after (Im modelling really an overcomplex model at the moment that will, however, benefit massively from mechanims additions), that and a few other things, dx11 included (if your shader doesnt need depth or render to texture its good for unity basic, you can do special things) mean 4 is a very good step, its not at official release yet but i guess i'd recommend getting stuck into the public beta of 4

Also i'd recommend you and anyone else to have a look in the unity forums and have a very good look at the asset store, it'll accelerate your work massively
  • Cheers lazygunn. Hope you had an enjoyable drunken evening!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Well I'm getting back into developing stuff starting with Walk Through The Clock's next project in the SHMUP world as well as helping gunn get Flarble onto the iPhone.
    After some fumbling and trying to remember all the ridiculous xcode profile and signature shit I managed to get it running on my iPhone, still has some ironing to go but it's on there and that's a good step forward.

Looking forward to making more progress on both projects.
  • great work on the port shabby, although it seemed relatively painless, ive got a lot of suggestions regarding getting it running more quickly on an iphone 4, well, hopefully at least get the fps to 25+ or so

great work though man and much appreciated, you and skerret can figure out how youd like to deal with it, we can probably implement the system specific features, me finish the tutorial, and add the last few UI touches (like sensitivity control etc)  and its good!

stuffs looking fun on the horizon regarding android stuff for me, you ios guys are now obviously invited to get it running on the apple platforms, rosy things indeed!

now we need a win8 person
  • Cheers lazygunn. Hope you had an enjoyable drunken evening!

I did cheers! Ive spent the last evening making a lil 3D scene tohelp train people in lightmap baking with vray but tomorrow back to some exciting things
  • [font=Proxima, sans-serif]test[/font]
  • App Name: Super Farting Jump Boy
    Game type: Hardcore jumping farting action
    What OS and version required: Android Eclair(2.1) upwards, works on phones and tablets
    Price: FREE
    Available from: Google Play

Rescue the princess!! Avoid the beasties! Get the HiScore! Extreme Action!
    Help Freddy Von Fartenburg rescue the princess using his B.U.M (ballistic underpants module) from the evil Turdling aliens!!! Guide Freddy by tilting the screen to fly higher and higher to reach the magical floating toilet at the top of each level using handily placed bottles of TurboLax to temporarily grant a speed increase.
    * No ads just one static ad for our other paid release
    * Randomly generating level layout
    * Randomly generating visuals after level 2
    * Tough challenge,beat your high score.
    - Each platform disintegrates when landed on
    - One hit kill enemies
    - No second chances
    * Swarm online high score integration to follow

Please download and rate 

All feedback MORE than welcome 

thanks

This is the last of the generic game releases for me. Gonna do something original next.
  • haha that was good fun
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I might have a chance to give an hour-long Unity presentation / demo at work.  Any suggestions on a good game to 'write' in an hour, while I explain what I'm doing?  Obviously needs to be pretty damn simple (and not have shiny graphics).  So I'm thinking a basic jumpy thing with collisions for death and/or points???
  • You could prob remake angry birds entirely using Ragespline or Uni2D from the asset store
  • Depends what you're meant to be showing. I'd be tempted to go for a Pong or Breakout clone, if you don't need to show off libraries.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's more what I'm thinking. Will all be coders so scrips better than libraries...
  • Breakout seems a fair idea
  • That said, it could be argued that one of Unity's strengths is its extensibility and collection of great 3rd party libraries
  • So what is the point of this pres/demo meant to be?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!