The Whisky thread
  • It's 45 on masters of malt.

Not for a litre of it. Go big or go home.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I can’t recommend the Glenfarclas 15, I think there’s a fault with the bottle or something because it just disappears overnight.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Gremill wrote:
    It's 45 on masters of malt.

Not for a litre of it. Go big or go home.
    Fair point, wasn't paying attention! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Drinking this now. Very nice. Super sweet though, puts me more in mind of rum than whiskey.
  • Getfuckarsed 105, I should restock at some point.
  • Two new bottles this week.

Wild Turkey 101, which I've never had before and which is on offer in Tesco for £23. For some reason I'd never twigged that this was bottled at near cask strength (50.5%) or I would have tried it earlier. It's really nice - hot, sweet and smooth.

SMWS bottle named 'Spicy Hotdogs and Roasted Chestnuts', which is a 7yo cask strength Glenfiddich bottled at 66.9%. Haven't opened this one yet, I'm a bit scared of it.
  • Decided to get myself a new bottle of rum to quaff during Sea of Thieves and opted for the original Navy tot, Woods 100. I hadn't realised that it's actually bottled at 57%, which is rare for a supermarket rum. Tried some last night and was blown away by just how strong it tastes.

But does it taste any good? I'm not sure - I've only tried it neat and with ice so far and it's a very unusual burnt sugar and molasses taste, which softens with the addition of water. But I think I like it. It's so strong though. I've got bottles of whisky at 66% that are smoother neat but I think it'll really shine in a cocktail.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a drop of 16yo Bushmills single malt last night in honour of St. Patrick.  Never lets me down. :)

Smooth as.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Never tried Bushmills. I'm Irish whiskey inexperienced on the whole actually. What would you recommend Davey (apart from the aforementioned)?
  • Gremill wrote:
    Decided to get myself a new bottle of rum to quaff during Sea of Thieves and opted for the original Navy tot, Woods 100. I hadn't realised that it's actually bottled at 57%, which is rare for a supermarket rum. Tried some last night and was blown away by just how strong it tastes.

But does it taste any good? I'm not sure - I've only tried it neat and with ice so far and it's a very unusual burnt sugar and molasses taste, which softens with the addition of water. But I think I like it. It's so strong though. I've got bottles of whisky at 66% that are smoother neat but I think it'll really shine in a cocktail.

I bought the Pussers navy strength rum a few years back and didn't like it. I've yet to try a cask strength whisky I didn't like but extra strong rum doesn't float my boat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Pussers stuff is rank
  • The Woods is only £21 at Morrisons at the moment, well worth it.
  • £21 you say? I imagine it's banging in a dark 'n' stormy...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    £21 you say? I imagine it's banging in a dark 'n' stormy...

Yeah, I've read that in some of the reviews of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Never tried Bushmills. I'm Irish whiskey inexperienced on the whole actually. What would you recommend Davey (apart from the aforementioned)?

There's been a bit of an Irish whiskey explosion these last few years. Jamesons is a good shout. Midleton is upper tier price-wise.

But there's Tyrconnell, Dunville's, Redbreast which are better known - all at differing prices points across their ranges. However there's a pile of small batch stuff now.

Tullamore Dew is a shout for a blend, as is Black Bush.
  • I am only buying Irish at the moment, it's been good fun.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tullamore Dew is the one that I liked and couldn't remember. Redbreast was decent too
  • Tesco are doing a Jura 18 for £38 atm.  Bargain at that price.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One Irish whiskey I enjoyed that I haven't mentioned was Method and Madness - a small batch brand. Was the star of a whiskey tasting I attended - esp for the price though that has gone up since I tried it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What I do have to say about Bushmills is that it's up there for smoothness. I don't think I've tasted a smoother drop of the stuff; especially the single malt.

Black Bush is a blend but with a higher % of single malt and is aged in sherry and bourbon casks. That has been done for a long time for the drink - long before it was trendy - and gives it its darker colour.  It is by far my favourite tipple in any genre.

Guinness, Black Bush and Champagne are all a body needs. Though I'd keep them in separate glasses.

Some don't like the relative sweetness of Irish and the absence of smoke and peat. It's a quite different drink but it's all on a spectrum really.
  • I like it for sitting almost exactly between scotch and bourbons.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's pretty much spot on, Mr. B.

Not massively into bourbon but I do like things on the Scotch side, even the really smokey ones.
  • Apologies, the photo my wife sent me of the Jura was not for the 18.  Damn.
  • Not tried the Jura 18.

I'm treating myself to a bottle of Port Askaig on payday.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    Apologies, the photo my wife sent me of the Jura was not for the 18.  Damn.

I mean, it's 18yo - but given how horrible most the rest of their output is, it'd be 18yo cooking whisky. Mind you, the last time I went on holiday I managed to get quite a few samples of one of their newer ones and it's was decent.
  • Gremill wrote:
    The Woods is only £21 at Morrisons at the moment, well worth it.

Picked a bottle up, sampling later. Were you actually charged £21, Grem? It was ticketed at £21 down from £23 but as I've got home I've found out they took £23. I've emailed a moan at them as the More Card app fucked me about so I couldn't load a fiver reward. Such a fucking shower of shite that place and I should know I work at the frigger.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    The Woods is only £21 at Morrisons at the moment, well worth it.

Picked a bottle up, sampling later. Were you actually charged £21, Grem? It was ticketed at £21 down from £23 but as I've got home I've found out they took £23. I've emailed a moan at them as the More Card app fucked me about so I couldn't load a fiver reward. Such a fucking shower of shite that place and I should know I work at the frigger.

Yeah, they did. I was in tonight though and it was back up to £23.
  • Also - confirmed that it's great in a D&S.
  • Lol they must have left the old ticket on. Standard Morrisons ineptitude.
  • There's been a few times that's happened to me in Mozzers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!