The Whisky thread
  • Polishing off the last of my Aldi Crossbones dark rum in a D&S, ease my way into the Woods. That Crossbones was a decent drop.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Gremill wrote:
    There's been a few times that's happened to me in Mozzers.

You have my apologies, the shame of Bradford.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Polishing off the last of my Aldi Crossbones dark rum in a D&S, ease my way into the Woods. That Crossbones was a decent drop.

Is that an old bottle or have they started stocking it again?
  • Old I'm afraid, I know you're partial. I would let you know if it reappears.
  • I'm in Aldi every week and they've never had it back in. It was a great drop.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Jura definitely went weird with their no age statement stuff that was frankly rank.  At the same time their 16yo was astonishingly good for the price point.  Then they just pulled the 16yo off the market completely and replaced it with a more expensive 18 that is still very good but the price was more in line with the market for that age.

tldr:  Young Jura's are an abomination, older Jura's are pretty good but now expensive.
  • That Aldi Crossbones was nice, especially for the price. We managed to get a second bottle, but not a third. RIP.

I’ve three half bottles of different rums from Wester to try out. Glasgow-based distillery, supposed to be alright. I’ve got their white, their dark and their pineapple. I like a good pineapple rum, so that’s probably gonna get cracked first.

Do we have a wine thread? Or just the general booze one?
  • I had the golden Crossbones but that didn't quite scale the heights of the dark. The Wood's I tried last night after the last of the Crossbones. Decent drop, tastes as Grem describes, great strength, threatens to sink the nice molasses tang but manages to sail through the storm and out the other side, actually has quite a pleasant kick. Made me think of my dear departed Grandad and his time in the Royal Navy, policing the Channel aboard his U-boat hunter during the war, ready to give fritz a jolly good kicking steeled by his ration. Finished off with a pineapple Plantation which is just smooth buttery loveliness.
  • That Plantation’s the one that turned me on to pineapple rums. Nice stuff.
  • I don't think I've ever tried a pineapple rum. I'm not sure I want to tbh, it sounds....not nice.
  • Sounds awful, tastes amazing. No, I don’t know why.
  • If I see it in a pub/bar at some point I'll try. With a mixer?
  • Been thinking about indulging in a pineapple rum - either the Pineapple Grenade overproof or the Tiki Lovers stuff.
  • I have three pineapple rums. Plantation, Dead Man's Fingers and Grenade. Not tried the Grenade yet (Grem, I'll have a try and report back but from what I've read, top stuff), the DMF is a nice drop for the price with the Plantation being top tier.
  • Good man.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If I see it in a pub/bar at some point I'll try. With a mixer?

I like it neat with an ice cube, but you can just use it as a replacement for dark rum in any drink/mix you like.

For an easy summer glass, maybe pineapple rum and ginger beer (mixed) with a tot of nice dark rum floated on top. Slice of lime to garnish.
  • Spotted a few new drinks in Aldi last night - they still don't have Seadog in stock (their version of Kraken which I think is actually better) but they now have Cassario Pineapple Rum and Cassario Raspberry Mojito rum

Both are bottled at 37.5% (so can't be called actual rums, they're rum-based spirit drinks like yer Dead Mans Fingers) but at £14.99 each I'll definitely be trying them on payday.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Spotted a few new drinks in Aldi last night - they still don't have Seadog in stock (their version of Kraken which I think is actually better) but they now have Cassario Pineapple Rum and Cassario Raspberry Mojito rum Both are bottled at 37.5% (so can't be called actual rums, they're rum-based spirit drinks like yer Dead Mans Fingers) but at £14.99 each I'll definitely be trying them on payday.

These sound brilliant. I'll take a drive out there one evening this week.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Better than Kraken?!

I'll have to find out if my local has any stock, which I've just fucking come back from
  • Better than Kraken?!

I'll have to find out if my local has any stock, which I've just fucking come back from

Yeah, I think so. It helps that it's a tenner cheaper too.
  • They've got it in my local Aldi (it's not better than Kraken for me though, which I always rollsafe with at £20-£22).
  • Johnny walker
    Red
    Label was on sale in the co op.

It’s
    Like in one of those western movies

I might as well be drinking 2 fingers of
    Fire water
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like JW Red. It's a good workaday whisky. I would drink it in a pub as paying money for single malt in that situation is a bit daft.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Been thinking about indulging in a pineapple rum - either the Pineapple Grenade overproof or the Tiki Lovers stuff.

I opened my Grenade last Friday... and the name is very apt. A combustible marriage of flavour and strength. You first get the blast of concentrated pineapple, almost threatening to become pineapple cube in its over sweetened pinapplieness before the natural flavour comes through in a secondary, more gentler gust. It's strong, you taste every one of its sixty five percents during the aftershock, but after the violence subsides, you quickly find yourself venturing in for another blast.
  • Fuck. Now I'm going to have to buy it.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Spotted a few new drinks in Aldi last night - they still don't have Seadog in stock (their version of Kraken which I think is actually better) but they now have Cassario Pineapple Rum and Cassario Raspberry Mojito rum Both are bottled at 37.5% (so can't be called actual rums, they're rum-based spirit drinks like yer Dead Mans Fingers) but at £14.99 each I'll definitely be trying them on payday.

I can confirm that the pineapple rum one is very tasty either mixed or neat. Goes very well with either ginger beer or Ting.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:

I can confirm that the pineapple rum one is very tasty either mixed or neat. Goes very well with either ginger beer or Ting.

Oooooh, I'm gonna get some Saturday morning. It's my mum's birthday so she's coming over for a socially distanced BBQ in the garden. That'll be a good drink to go with a steak
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Grabbed both the Pineapple rum and the Raspberry Mojito one on my weekly trip out. I'll be breaking those in during FNF
  • Got to top buying balvenie double wood. Lasts all of 3 days.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Got to top buying balvenie double wood. Lasts all of 3 days.

It's great stuff.

Got this from my wife (MY WIFE) today to help celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary:
    IMG-20210402-180405.jpg
    It's stunning. An absolute sherry bomb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!