Documentaries Thread
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Kind of a docu, Terrence Davies' Of Time and City is on iPlayer for five more days. Old but he's such a rareity.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Enjoying Meades on Essex.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap Fantastic documentary from Ice T that looks into what makes up hip-hop and how artists create their raps. He interviews a lot of rappers from past to present, underground to mainstream, and asks them how they feel about hip-hop, what make them start emceeing, and how they create their songs. As a fan of hip-hop I really enjoyed this, but as a documentary it is just very well put together and thought out. Ice has a great rapport with all the guys, as they clearly respect what he's done and who he is. He is able to discuss it with them as he's been there, and it comes across as guys exchanging stories rather than a documentary maker with an agenda, if that makes sense. Highly recommended.

rhyme and reason is great too if you aint seen it.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Bernie Connor and Boxhead. Meet them. And more. And Eagle ofc.

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Meades and brutalism. Some of my fav shit. Last fucking month. Bastard.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hopefully I can find a torrent of that; new to Meades and a fan already.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I realised upon moving back here that Tokyo's maybe the most (unintentionally) brutalist city on Earth. So many deeply odd high-rises and things here.
  • I really don't get this brutalism love.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Well, you can't have sex with it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Enjoying Meades on Essex.

That's how you cracked my sig. I see now. I thought you googled it. Soz abar that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Give me some credit bean, give me some credit.  S'alright, you owe me a goblet of meades.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sure just knock round ours for it, mate.
  • National Geographic Aryan Brotherhood
    A huge missed opportunity.
    The doc interviews two key members of the Aryan Brotherhood. It was interesting learning that as a gang the Aryan Brotherhood is one of the largest gangs in the U.S yet only really works within the prison system. Also it is quite elite, while many may be affiliated with the gang the amount of made members is small.
    Throughout the dock we are told that it was established to protect white prisoners against the other ethnic gangs in the prison system, they do this by being the most ruthless and violent. The Neo Nazi look as a front however and the main purpose of the gang is money making.

Interviewed are reformed top enforcer, a scary looking bastard who could tell stories for days, but isn't asked. He reveals the most about the gang and is clearly itching to say more but isn't pressed by the interviewer.
    Second is a native american who was one of the three founding members of the gang. He sets out to explain how it was truly a gang to protect white people in prison and is not or at least was not a racist organisation, siting close relations with hispanic gangs.

There was so much potential in this dock but it was obviously an american TV show first so had intros and outros every 15 minutes for the ad breaks and the first 15 minutes was sensationalist nonsense that didn't actually say anything. A real missed opportunity.
  • Reformed Skinhead: Ink and Hate to new life
    Off the back of the national geographic dock Netflix threw me this.
    Byron Widner is a reformed skinhead/Neo Nazi. He has left that life behind, found a woman he loves, had kids and wants to get on.
    However his body, hands and face are covered in tattoos including a switch blade, an arrow that Widner explains means killer and other provocative imagery.

Learning of his plight an organisation that works to dispel Neo Nazi philosophy agree to fund laser surgery to have his tattoos removed.
    The dock follows this 18 month process of pain and agony while Widner and his wife tell their story.
    Widner explains what attracted him to the movement, his abusive childhood, alcoholism, his journey from absolute belief in movement to total disbelief that he ever felt that way.

A true story of remorse and presented excellently.
  • Carl Panzram: The Spirit of Hatred and Vengeance.
    Profile of a serial killer documentary.
    Carl Panzram was a serial killer born around the turn of the century.
    After committing a small crime as a child he was sent to reform schools where he was abused, beaten and raped. This twisted him into a completely twisted person who cared nothing for his fellow man and only lived to gain power over others.

He raped stole and killed, going in and out of prison and being abused more and more severely each time. One escape attempt left him with broken ankles legs and spine, he was thrown into solitary with no medical attention.

The only way his story was ever told is through one guard who slipped him pencil and paper to write his memoirs, in return the guard with give him a dollar or cigarettes.

The docu tells the story while also interviewing child and behavioural psychologists.

Seriously good documentary and an amazing story that would make an excellent film.
  • For any Adam Curtis fans, seems like his whole output here:  http://thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis
  • Oooh. Good work both of you. Adding some of that to the pile.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Watched a doc about Whitey, an Irish gangster, that turned out to be more about police corruption. Not what I'd call gripping.
  • I've watched a bunch of good stuff recently, trying to remember all the names. netflix is too good on this front.

• I've seen some terrible docs on Netflix. You can usually tell if a film is going to be pants in the first few minutes, a doc can take half an hour to reveal its quality.
  • Mentioned in the TV thread, but should add it here.

Anthony bourdain places unknown.

REALLY great.

Part food, part travel, part history.

First series is 100% excellent. Goes to lots of cool and/interesting places. Beautifully shot, he interviews heaps of good sources. Just excellent. Second series fails on the unknown part. Spain, Sicily, Copenhagen. However, there's still some great eps in there. Just watched south Africa. Top notch.

Warning. Will make you want to travel and eat awesome food.
  • Blackfish is on UK Netflix now.  I'm sure it's only recently been added after being available in other regions.  Well worth checking out if you haven't already.
  • About killer whales in captivity, yeah?

Bordain just did Tokyo. Would love a brooks take on his efforts.
  • Yeah that's the one.  It's superb.
  • I almost shat at that clip near the beginning.

I'm so glad that doc cas put a few nails in the performing animal attractions coffin.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Blackfish is good.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I almost shat at that clip near the beginning. I'm so glad that doc cas put a few nails in the performing animal attractions coffin.

There are a few really tense moments in it.  And the power those animals have never fails to terrify/amaze.

• EDIT: for crappy mobile link

• http://youtu.be/dlN-ruKbK5w

Highly recommend this
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Damn, I can't do links properly.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!