A thread for the pets
  • I am not an expert, of course. Just throwing ideas.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Got a bit of a problem with Clay and thought I would ask the hive mind.

He isnt eating his meals properly is the fundamental problem.

He will eat some of it, or all if I keep picking it up, shaking it about, hand feeding bits etc. Yesterday I laid on the floor next to him while he ate.

He will eat treats and carrots. He will also eat full meals of the exact same food at my parent's place.

I tried different food but he turns his nose up at anything in a bowl.

He is also pooing normally.

So I very much doubt its teeth or gut problems.

I suspect it is stress/routine change. I spent most of last year without much work which meant a lot of time with him or on the sofa where he can sit next to me.
    For the last 6 weeks or so work has been intense with a fair few late nights as well. He hasn't been neglected, he still gets walks and play. However it is a noticeable shift from one extreme to the other and likely has thrown him out of whack.

I'm going to my parents place tonight for one last check, see if he will eat his dinner and breakfast there. If he doesn't its off to the vets, if he does then I'm gonna need some creative thinking to get him eating at home.

Edit: Just got him to eat what was left of his breakfast but it took some couching and he would mostly only eat it if I poured it out the bowl and onto the floor. Ive alrerady tried three different bowls so don't think it is the particular bowl. Not changed washing up liquid either.

My incredibly not expert take (experience based on one dog that's never had a problem eating).

He's eating fine at your parents but not at yours. He's stressed because scheduling changes have taken you away from him. Along the way he has realised that special care is given by you if he doesn't eat everything.

No harm in treating him as having a gut problem. I'd probably also try putting down the bowl, leaving him to it and bringing it back up when he stops eating. He's still getting his treats so he won't starve for a few days but see if it helps encourage him to eat.
  • Thanks both.
    I'll see how he does tonight at my parents. The stock idea sounds good.
    He will definitely eat boil chicken so maybe doing a transition will help. I tried putting chopped up carrot on top and he expertly ate the carrot avoiding the food.

I'm also going to have a move around of things so his food is in a different part of the kitchen see if that helps, I've not got a huge amount of options there.
  • Dogs can be funny little buggers at times.
  • They're emotional beings thats for sure.
  • Update: He wouldn't eat his food here either. Dumped that and gave him a bowl of my parent's dog's kibble and he inhaled it.

Gonna take some of that food back with me and see if he will eat that at home.

Troubleshooting a dog here.
  • g.man wrote:
    His master's vice.

You're underappreciated by the cretins here, g.

• Echo is in to get spayed this morning. Poor sod will have to wear a cone or inflatable collar for 10 days.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    His master's vice.

You're underappreciated by the cretins here, g.

Personally I expect nothing less from him.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Update: He wouldn't eat his food here either. Dumped that and gave him a bowl of my parent's dog's kibble and he inhaled it.

Gonna take some of that food back with me and see if he will eat that at home.

Troubleshooting a dog here.

Dang you're making me feel like a lazy parent. If Charlie doesn't eat I just leave the food out and she'll eat it eventually when she gets hungry...

I'd be wary of doing any special treatment to get him to eat though otherwise you'll potentially be doing it from here on out. The picking the bowl up if he doesn't eat when you want him to is a good trick though.
  • Unusually for a Lab, Echo doesn't immediately wolf down her food every time we feed her. She's more of a grazer and will return to the bowl when she's hungry. We were quite worried at first that she wasn't as food obsessed as the reputation of her breed suggested, but learned to just not worry too much about it.

She's now day 3 post operation and apart from trying to get her to stop jumping around like a loony, she's been fine. We haven't even really needed to put her inflatable collar on her, she doesn't seem fussed at all about her (still covered in a dressing) scar/stitches.
  • Kobe is a typical greedy lab. Dare to mention the words 'food' or 'tea' near him and he's off like a flash. He knows what time it is too so as soon as it gets near his evening feed, if you move he thinks it's food time. In the morning he gets food first thing and will ignore you basically until he's fed. Same routine. First he runs to his bowl, to make sure you haven't forgot where it is...then when you pick it up he races to where we store his dry food...then he watches you measure out the food, scavanging for any dropped morsels, then he races back to the kitchen where his bowl is put down. SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF and done in seconds. Then if we're eating he crawls under the table to wait for any dropped scraps, and if anyone gets up he starts licking the chair hoping for some crumbs.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If Bramble finds an unopened cat food pouch he eats the whole thing and eventually voms up the bits he can't digest.
  • I'm sure you are doing fine Shabby, its just knowing your dog really.
    Clayton has never been one to leave food whether its his or not. He is also super stubborn.

I think I have got somewhere now. He is eating my parent's dog's food at home no problems so at least it isnt a health issue.

Just back from a long walk, he always gets a treat after a walk. I offered him up some of his old food and he turned his head away in a manner Ive only seen him do when sniffing something citrus. Offered him a piece of the other food and he ate that followed by a proper treat.

Its the food, for whatever reason. I'll take the other unopened 12kg sack to the RSPCA.
  • I find Charlie gets bored of her kibble stuff after a while on one flavour type and I need to change to one of the other flavours in the brand. Could it be that?
  • It could be.
    I might buy him a small bag of another flavour. I dont mind giving him the other food it is of a similar quality but is also a bit more expensive.
  • Looks like you've solved it. I was going to suggest soaking it (in water or gravy) but it sounds like a batch batch of food. Might be worth seeing if he eats the unopened stuff? Depends if you bought it from the same place at the same time I guess.
  • He ate 10/12kg of the other bag so I think its him rather than the food.

I remembered earlier that there was an evening the other week where I went to feed him, did a bunch of other stuff, sat back down and could not for the life of me remember if I actually fed him or not. He wasn't nagging so I suspect I did but fed him again to be sure, of which he ate 90% of. That's the last time I remember him being enthusiastic about eating his food so maybe he over did it and felt sick. We've all been there with certain foods.

Tried the water thing that didnt work. It is mad how much this stuff expands in water though, no wonder he can shit for Britain.
  • Yeah, I've always added water to Bramble's kibble. It's like hydrating a pizza.
  • Lady went off her kibble and would only eat it if she was starving. I changed brands and she lost interest in it after two days. My solution was to buy some cheap tins of dog food and mix in a little bit with each bowl of kibble.

Result! Gobble gobble gone.

As another dog owner told me, they get BORED eating the same food all the time. It's good to change gear now and then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If Bramble finds an unopened cat food pouch he eats the whole thing and eventually voms up the bits he can't digest.

Magnificent.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If Bramble finds an unopened cat food pouch he eats the whole thing and eventually voms up the bits he can't digest.
    He's the king.
  • Sorry, I meant to say ‘majestic beast’.
  • Excellent stuff.
    Its too damn hot down here for man or beast to enjoy walks.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Great pic :D
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A fine example of dog clipping there too.
  • I have something in my eye.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!