Resident Evil
  • Oh sure, it's just there used to be more of them.
  • The demo is a cross between iv, vii, and Uncharted.
  • I'm super-hyped for Local Badness Ocho: Hamlet. My copy from The Game Collection has just been shipped.

I know it was divisive for some, but 7 was an absolute return to form for me (form being 4 and anything before that). It's one of the handful of games I've played through twice - the second one being on PS5 in the last few weeks.

I haven't bothered with the timed demos, so I'm going into this fairly cold. I have, however, seen the memes and a disturbing number of images that can be bought on Amazon of Lady Dimitrescu. Nowt weird as folk.

Anyway, this is a roll-call. Who's exploring the Village with me this week? Shout out your name and platform.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I've downloaded the timed demo, and plan to play in VR using VorpX on me laptop tomorrow.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    PS5 version has been posted. Thursday delivery like last week. £44 from Boss_Deals on ebay.
  • Really want this but also really want Mass Effect Legendary Edition which launches in a week or so.
    Got a feeling RE8 will drop on price rather quickly so I'll wait and grab it then
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’ve a digital preorder on the PS5 for this. It’ll be good but I’ve got Returnal being about 50 times more brilliant than I expected so now I’m not sure about the time frame.
  • Reviews coming in a couple of hours BTW.
  • Have you done one, Jon?
  • You manage to bag a review copy?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't search for this on Amazon at work.

Jesus titty christ.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I will play this if a pirate copy leaks. Can't afford to buy at the moment but loved 7, best since 4.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    So tempted to get 7/8 but too much to play :(

Lovely to see you posting in the games thread DS x
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Don't search for this on Amazon at work.

Jesus titty christ.

What the hell is wrong with some people?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Don't search for this on Amazon at work. Jesus titty christ.
    Syph79 wrote:
    I have, however, seen the memes and a disturbing number of images that can be bought on Amazon of Lady Dimitrescu. Nowt weird as folk.
  • So tempted to get 7/8 but too much to play :( Lovely to see you posting in the games thread DS x

7 is on Gamepass, if you haven't played it before.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Reviews are looking very good.
  • I settled on 4 stars in the end, but it was borderline 5. It's lacking a little in scares and slow to get going, but builds into a wonderfully hammy combo of 4 and 7.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/review/resident-evil-village/
  • Haven't read the review yet but that headline (or whatever its called for those in the know) is divine.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Haven't read the review yet but that headline (or whatever its called for those in the know) is divine.
    I can't take credit for making it the headline - it's actually the final line of the main text. But now I see it, it's obvious that it should be at the top as well. That's what editors are for.
  • JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Haven't read the review yet but that headline (or whatever its called for those in the know) is divine.
    I can't take credit for making it the headline - it's actually the final line of the main text. But now I see it, it's obvious that it should be at the top as well. That's what editors are for.

It’s an excellent review overall, well done Jon!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

Holy fuck, I’ll ofc read the review this evening but for now that strap line is fucking awesome.

• Tl;dw:

Great performance on all next gen consoles. PS5 and Series X manage 4K at a locked 60 with RT off. When turning RT on, performance dips in a couple of areas, but is still near 60 most of the time with the Series X performing a little better overall.

Any RT-related dips can be almost entirely negated on the Series X if using a VRR compatible TV. For PS5 users, will have to wait until VRR support comes.

The Series S also performs well at a near locked 60, but only when RT is off - turning it on and there are dips that not even VRR can fix, so it's best to leave it off. Still looks and performs great on S, even without RT, so it's not a huge thing. 

Both consoles load quite fast, although the PS5 is stupidly fast. The Series S and X do load a little slower but it's still only something like 8 seconds, so hardly the end of the world. 

Both consoles also make good use of haptics and audio. 3D audio / virtual surround enabled on both. PS5 gets some trigger tension stuff going on a per weapon basis, while Xbox pad gets trigger rumble usage.

Overall, it plays, looks, feels and sounds good on all next-gen hardware - X|S or PS5, whatever you have it should be fine.
  • Old news but just found these stats for Village performance:

PlayStation 5:  4K HDR/60 fps
    PlayStation 5 (when Ray Tracing is turned on): 4K HDR/45 fps
    PlayStation 4 PRO: 1080p/60 fps
    PlayStation 4 PRO (when set to high resolution): 4K HDR/30 fps
    PlayStation 4: 900p/45 fps
    Xbox Series X: 4K HDR/60 fps
    Xbox Series X (when Ray Tracing is turned on): 4K HDR/45 fps
    Xbox Series S: 1440p HDR/45 fps
    Xbox Series S (when Ray Tracing is turned on): 1440p HDR/30 fps
    Xbox One X: 1080p/60 fps
    Xbox One X (when set to high resolution): 4K HDR/30 fps
    Xbox One: 900p/30 fps

Impressive for the base PS4, assuming it maintains a solid 45fps.  Slightly sulking about the Series S performance, not that I'd play it on that unless it hits gamepass anyway.  It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a 1080/60 option, which I'd hoped would be near enough standard for that console this gen.

Edit: Actually maybe there is, and it just isn't mentioned here?  The One X hits it.
  • The “45FPS” options are mostly Capcom being conservative - in real terms it means an unlocked frame rate that aims around 60. The “45FPS” options on Series X and PS5 usually float in the mid 50s or higher.
  • That would suggest important to get a telly with VRR....?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!