Country Music
  • This week's discovery playlist threw up this Molly Lewis, who may be old news but I'd never heard before; scratches that Morricone itch perfectly, only two EPs so been on a heavy rotation since yesterday:

• New to me as well - that's awesome.

I love hearing about shit like this, it doesn't sound real, like she's living in a kooky indie film or something.  Good for her:

"Born in Sydney, Australia,[1] Lewis grew up whistling, and later pursued it as a career.[2] After her parents showed her the documentary Pucker Up: The Fine Art of Whistling, she entered her first whistling competition, the 2012 International Whistlers Convention in North Carolina. She later won first place in the Live Band Accompaniment Division (female) at 2015's Masters of Musical Whistling competition in Los Angeles,[2] where her family had moved to.[1]"
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Listened to the Molly lewis album last week, enjoyed but I was doing other things at the time so didn't give it the attention it deserved. 

NEW NICK SHOULDERS TOMORROW
  • Shoulders album seemed good.  Four tracks into the new Childers and it's already already hit me with a Kristofferson cover (with a huge guitar solo chucked in for good measure).  Unless this one takes a massive dip it's on course to be his best album for ages.  Kristin Hersh and Ashley McBryde queued up next.  Today is a good day.
  • OK wow the Childers album was under half an hour and my knee-jerk reaction is I absolutely love it.  I'm going again.
  • Got it on I'm the bg atm, so far so good but I'm not focused on it currently. Gonna spin this then shoulders. What a day.
  • New Charles Wesley Godwin tomorrow!

• Also, couple of new tracks on the release radar:

• Gotta give props to that Beatstar country game, they've placed this man's two tunes in my noggin and they simply will not leave

Loving the verses there, but of Sturg to him I feel. Catchy as hell chorus.

But this is a fave here

Again, catchy as hell. Definitely gonna check out more, these are apparently two new songs forming a lead single for a new album coming soon. Nice.
  • Tried him out 'cos those two got the toes tapping but I dunno about his older stuff.  Silverado sounds pretty different to the other tracks I listened to so I assume he's trying something different for the next album.

Tidal suggested I listen to Garth Brooks next so it'd be rude not to.
  • I like the fact that Country Star helps me enjoy tracks I'd usually nope out on.  For example this would be a big fat skip if it popped up on an algo playlist, but it's kinda perfect for pressing bits of the screen to:

It's still crap, mind.
  • I can't usually be bothered to dislike things too strongly but I've had more than enough of the deep-voice autotune brocountry stuff, which I assumed Country Star would be all about but refreshingly it isn't.  

Any album with a clean cut baritone beardman sitting on a shiny pick-up wearing a Stetson annoys me now.  "And I said bay-bee let's get in the TruuuuUUUUCK".  Fuck off.
  • It's the brocountry half kind of rap via it's delivery, half absolutely countro-pop I despise. Just not for me.

Yer man Caleb there, looks like he got initial success via American Idol, then a viral Post Malone cover, then covid made him depressed and almost quit, and this album/tunes is him doing a more "real" angle than chasing what execs told him post AI. I think.

I shared Silverado on IG and we actually exchanged a couple messages as a result. Really nice guy! Hopes to hit the UK soon.
  • I like the new Sierra Ferrell, nice and epic sounding:

New Vincent Neil Emerson today on my list also, always welcome.
  • I hadn't heard of Nick Shoulders!  He's really good!  Right up my alley.  Will have to dig into his catalogue.

Sturgill Simpson seems to be doing really well with the acting at the moment.  He caught me by surprise when he popped up in the Righteous Gemstones (can't mistake his voice though) and he seemed pretty good, and it was a good role for him.  

Also he's in a couple of movies at the cinema at the moment!  Good on him.  Didn't even know he was acting, let along getting a gig in the new Martin Scorsese.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Indisputable banger alert (released 1959):

Rose's cantina. The wicked Faleena.  Smitten cowboys more dashing and daring than 1000 Gummi Bears. An impromptu gunfight!  Horse theft!  The Badlands of New Mexico. An ill-fated return.  A dead narrator! ICONIC CHOON. 

...but did you know he returned to the tale in 1966, with an 8 minute epic focusing on Feleena herself that's actually miles better than the majority of sequel songs ever?

Spoiler alert: They both die at the end.  

Well TiL he wrote another one.  This time from the POV of a chap on an aeroplane flying over El Paso, half remembering the OG song and wondering if there's some sort of cosmic connection between himself and the guy in the story wot was made up by Marty Robbins.  

Apparently Marty was writing a fourth song - The Mystery of Old El Paso - when he died in 1982.  Which may or may not have been about guy in a supermarket pondering how perennial half price Tex-Mex deals are cost effective, and whether anyone actually buys the wicked fajita packs when they're not on offer.
  • I knew about the 1966 sequel but not the aeroplane one, and the 1982 one I can't tell if you're joking or not :D

Went through a spell earlier this year of having Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs on repeat, love it.

On a similar note, lately I've been listening to pretty much just old-timey western stuff, only changing for Monday's Discovery list and Friday's new releases.

Some picks:

Plenty of folks have done this staple, Marty Robbins included. This one popped up on my discover a while back tho and it's the one I saved:

This one, I think, isn't an old-timey original but a present day artist doing old-timey sounding stuff, maybe? Hard to get info but she doesn't have much out there and it's all great:

...plus just a Sons of the Pioneers best of, which can't go wrong really. Pretty sure I've posted this before but I love it:

Didn't realise Roy Rogers was one of the members, so I've been picking through his stuff also, which has a few 'songs of the trail' kinda albums.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I knew about the 1966 sequel but not the aeroplane one, and the 1982 one I can't tell if you're joking or not :D 

From Wiki:

Robbins intended to do one more sequel, “The Mystery of Old El Paso", but he died in late 1982 before he could finish the final song.

The rest was bollocks.
  • Any Killers of the Flower Moon cinema peeps on Big Sturg watch? If so how is he?
  • Pretty sure Jason Isbell was due to be in it too.
  • His is yeah I think.

This popped up last week which oddly isn't in the film afaik - great tune tho. I really should dive more into Charley Crockett, he's a regular pop-up in my recommendeds and the tunes are pretty much always legit.

• With our boy Shoulders on banjo:

• nick_md wrote:
    I really should dive more into Charley Crockett, he's a regular pop-up in my recommendeds and the tunes are pretty much always legit.

This is also me.  Every time I listen to a selected track I make a metal note to listen to more, then forget.  I like his album covers too.
  • nick_md wrote:
    With our boy Shoulders on banjo:

This is good.
  • Country Girl Kayvgetting the thumbs up too
  • My anniversary pressie has arrived!

20231107-084304.jpg
  • Result. Happy anniversary m8.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!