Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I started Toem. Maybe I've nearly finished Toem. It's kinda cute and all but I'm not totally getting it. Guess it sits what it sets out to do, but I'm not finding it particularly fun and it's not Maj resonating with me but I guess it'll be a [7].

At least I've died less than on Kena.
  • Resident Evil Village.

Fuck this. Fucking fuck that stupid fucking doll and this stupid fucking game and I think I genuinely shit myself. I hate it.

(But it's BRILLIANT)

I feel your pain. That section was brilliant but horrible…so so horrible.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Esp RA.DE.  Not sure about it yet, certainly not until I ‘get’ the scoring.
    Ok. I get the scoring now. It’s good! You end up with a nice rhythm between power shot and normal shot to maximise scoring. Love it! Shame the game looks so old and pixelated. Probably can change some settings like smoothing etc but the entire menu is in Japanese. Will have to Google it.

Have sampled this in MAME. It does seem to be very good. The Switch got a very good port apparently but I wouldn't bite unless I could get a physical copy given I can already play it.

My current playing squeeze is Mushihimesama on Steam.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've started something called Record of Lodoss War: Deelit in the Wonder Labyrinth as it caught my eye on game pass. It's by the team that made Touhou: Luna Nights (another pretty little Metroidvania with a gameplay gimmick). This one has Ikaruga/Outland/Guac 2 style colour change stuff going on. It's pretty good so far, nothing earth shattering but solid stuff for anyone missing the map based Castlevania games.
    I started it and decided not to bother. Just feels a bit too low budget, I think, and bit too familiar. Unless the colour changing and arrow firing stuff gets really interesting, but it didn't seem worth finding out.
  • It's familiar stuff for sure. I'm a bit further in now and neither the arrows or colour changing feel like much more than window dressing. Happy with the basics though, I wouldn't have started if it was modern 'vania length but it's only short apparently.

The jumping/slashing in Luna Nights is similarly simplistic but the gimmick is a lot more successful, worth a look if it's still on GP.
  • Rev wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    I went back to it again recently, started from scratch, and saw it through to the end. Has some of the greatest boss battles of any From game. It can be incredibly hard, but it’s also totally fair. You need to get solid at parrying and unlock the counters.

Yeah, see 'unlocking shit' is something I never expected to see in a From game. I watched videos about beating the ogre, and they're mentioning having the fire attachment for the arm unlocked, and I was wondering when ubisoft where involved in the dev meeting.

Like Tempy said, the arm stuff isn’t necessary, but it does help. Just think about it like finding another weapon, which you’d do in a From game regularly.

I was referring to the skill tree stuff. There’s a few counter moves that enable you to reverse thrust attacks, or strike after partying, and they do big posture damage.

In most circumstances you won’t defeat a boss by taking down health. It’s all about posture.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Titanfall 2's campaign is bonkers.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

But brilliant. The opening bit is shit but after that it never lets up..
    The Forum Herald™
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    I went back to it again recently, started from scratch, and saw it through to the end. Has some of the greatest boss battles of any From game. It can be incredibly hard, but it’s also totally fair. You need to get solid at parrying and unlock the counters.

Yeah, see 'unlocking shit' is something I never expected to see in a From game. I watched videos about beating the ogre, and they're mentioning having the fire attachment for the arm unlocked, and I was wondering when ubisoft where involved in the dev meeting.

Like Tempy said, the arm stuff isn’t necessary, but it does help. Just think about it like finding another weapon, which you’d do in a From game regularly.

I was referring to the skill tree stuff. There’s a few counter moves that enable you to reverse thrust attacks, or strike after partying, and they do big posture damage.

In most circumstances you won’t defeat a boss by taking down health. It’s all about posture.

I've yet to even know what that is. I've not even been near a boss so far. I even had trouble with the pishy little general to be fair and then I ended up at the ogre and it seems to be a fucking chore. I'm guessing I'll just leave it and concede it's just not the game for me.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:

But brilliant. The opening bit is shit but after that it never lets up..

Oh yeah having a whale. Might get me to try Apex.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Currently playing Inmost. Not blown away so far but it looks good and the puzzling is fine.

I got a fair chunk of the way into that. Got stuck a couple of times though. Can't remember what made me really stop. One too many trips to a youtube walkthrough maybe. Laziness probably. 

Might have been a later bit where it starts to get a bit more action slasher lite and wasn't really up to the challenge actually. 

Still, some of it very very well done.

You were right to ditch this I reckon. It's quite tedious to play and I can't seem to face more than one checkpoint at a time so I'm progressing in tiny chunks. I'm not one for watching people play games rather than actually playing them but if anything suits a walkthrough stream it's this. Nice ideas, iffy execution.
  • I'm still muddling through Skyrim having come back to it over christmas. it's ok but i still don't love it. obviously it's a bit old now and coming to it after finishing witcher3 and RDR2, it lacks a lot of the charm, polish and QoL stuff they've got...and the combat doesn't feel as good.
    still it's epic and impressive, just not sure i'm having a lot of fun with it! I realise the point of Skyrim is kind of do your own thing and build your own story, but I deffo prefer my adventures where there's a bit more guidance on what i should do next - i've got lots of quests stacked up and no idea if i'm approaching them in the right order or if i'm at suitable levels for them :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Im on Guardians of the Galaxy (raytracing mode) on ps5. This is an unexpected blinder. Its visually stunning, great audio and the script is really funny. Drax in particular with lines like  "Im engorged by the thrum of battle"
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Myman.gif

Though I couldn’t get on with the lower frame rate of RT mode. I’ve become a 60fps snob.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I wish more games would do the 'using 120fps mode to do full-fat 40fps' trick that Rift Apart did. It's just enough.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d like more games to offer fully unlocked frame rates and to let my VRR TV deal with the output.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’d like more games to offer fully unlocked frame rates and to let my VRR TV deal with the output.

I think full-fat RT modes are too low framerate for VRR to cover all the cracks, from what I remember Digital Foundry saying about VRR.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t tend to bother with RT modes, just give me more frames in my non-RT modes, please.
  • I’ve gone RT in certain titles if the implementation is worth it. Think Resi 8 was nice, and Ratchet had a good one. Thankfully a lot of titles have offered surprisingly decent performance with RT on this gen so I’ve rarely had to compromise between the frames and the shinies.
  • And currently using the 120fps option in Deep Rock Galactic which is real nice indeed.
  • Yossarian wrote:

is there really any benefit though? as in if we're talking capped at a consistent 60fps, or jumping around between say 60-73fps? are you getting brief moments of it looking better, or brief moments that look odd, or not noticing at all?

it's also good to give the hardware a bit of headroom (IMO). if capped at 60 is using say 95% of the console resource, then that's 5% less power used, less heat generated, less (heat) stress on the components etc. unlocking it means it will be running at 100% all of the time.

obviously it's all different on PC when people have different spec hardware, but on console it seems pointless to me
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Where I see VRR benefits, certainly on PC is in the 40-60 range. It just smooths out the jittery look that inconsistent frame rates produce.

@ERE I haven’t tried that 40fps mode, as I was already near the end of the game when it was released.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

is there really any benefit though? as in if we're talking capped at a consistent 60fps, or jumping around between say 60-73fps? are you getting brief moments of it looking better, or brief moments that look odd, or not noticing at all?

it's also good to give the hardware a bit of headroom (IMO). if capped at 60 is using say 95% of the console resource, then that's 5% less power used, less heat generated, less (heat) stress on the components etc. unlocking it means it will be running at 100% all of the time.

obviously it's all different on PC when people have different spec hardware, but on console it seems pointless to me

It’ll very much depend on the game. There will certainly be some titles that will be able to manage much more than 73FPS, but won’t be able to manage a consistent 120.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Myman.gif Though I couldn’t get on with the lower frame rate of RT mode. I’ve become a 60fps snob.
    Im the same lately now with 60fps modes. For instance, I just couldn't play Ratchet and Clank on detail mode, I went for the RT/performance blend mode (same on Spidey I think). But on Guardians I find the RT mode fine surprisingly playable.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I find 30fps absolutely fine on console as it has smoothing which really helps. 30fps on PC however is fucking horrendous.
  • A 1080p screen pretty much makes the decision for me using a Series S, but even with a 4K display I'm pretty sure I'd prefer smoothness. Steady 60fps is dreamland for me, it's all I've wanted for years.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    is there really any benefit though? as in if we're talking capped at a consistent 60fps, or jumping around between say 60-73fps? are you getting brief moments of it looking better, or brief moments that look odd, or not noticing at all? it's also good to give the hardware a bit of headroom (IMO). if capped at 60 is using say 95% of the console resource, then that's 5% less power used, less heat generated, less (heat) stress on the components etc. unlocking it means it will be running at 100% all of the time. obviously it's all different on PC when people have different spec hardware, but on console it seems pointless to me

You wouldn't think it, but a 15 FPS increase from 60 is actually quite noticeable, at least in my experience. Diminishing returns really kick in past 90 for me. Most game engines have a much wider variance though, like Halo Infinite for example which runs much faster in the indoor stages. A stable framerate is generally preferred, even with VRR, so things like dynamic resolution to maintain FPS are going to be increasingly useful for this scenario.

In regards to the heat output, I wouldn't worry about the Xbox as the thermal solution they've engineered is excellent and will have no problems with the thing maxing out. Really any good computer should be able to run at 100% for hours on end without issues, it's just that people have become paranoid about this due to shitty designs in laptops and older consoles.
  • Also don't forget that another benefit of VRR is reduced input lag because you don't need to buffer frames for V-sync. VRR really is something that should have been commonly implemented decades ago IMO.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!