Currently Playing
  • So it turns out Dead Space is good, I just had to give it time. The first couple of hours of longer games are often make or break for me as I'm used to the instant gratification of shorter experiences so I'm glad I pushed through.
  • As usual with these things the combat is plant-your-feet-to-fire bobbins though. Just fought a boss type monster and it required the usual bumbling around obstacles trying to get a bit of space to get some shots off, hoping the creature isn't too close when you turn around, then repeating. Even just a roll move would do wonders for the gunfights.
  • Dead Space's combat arguably exceeds RE4 classic.
    Some of the set pieces are spectacular. Loved the space walks and 0 gravity sections.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    As usual with these things the combat is plant-your-feet-to-fire bobbins though. Just fought a boss type monster and it required the usual bumbling around obstacles trying to get a bit of space to get some shots off, hoping the creature isn't too close when you turn around, then repeating. Even just a roll move would do wonders for the gunfights.

Might as well give him a double jump and wall run while you're on
  • I don't see it. Enemies amble towards the (clunky) player, you pick the limbs off until you clear the room and move on. Each to their own but the shooting isn't the appeal for me here. Atmosphere yes, by the bucketload. It's a 7 on the pew pew scale though.

@hunk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    An umbrella to slow his fall
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    As usual with these things the combat is plant-your-feet-to-fire bobbins though. Just fought a boss type monster and it required the usual bumbling around obstacles trying to get a bit of space to get some shots off, hoping the creature isn't too close when you turn around, then repeating. Even just a roll move would do wonders for the gunfights.

Might as well give him a double jump and wall run while you're on

Survival horror could do with a shake up. Not to that extent perhaps, but 'can't catch me I'm running around that dining table and out the door!' got old ten years ago. Why not have one with a bit more pep to the gunplay?
  • Dead Space is a remake obvs, so I'm talking in general.
  • An umbrella to slow his fall

This. It's even more annoying in the ones with the logos everywhere.
  • With me it was the opposite. Resi 4 was the clunky one and Dead Space controlled like a dream.
    Than again I did play them in reverse order. Took me a while before RE4 clicked with me but it's fine given the time of release.

The double jump, roll, wall run thing. They kindof did something close to that with RE6.
    Fans complained it wasn't survival horror anymore....

I did enjoy taekwando-ing the fuck out of zombies tho.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They're staples of the genre, not being able to smoothly glide around is what increases the panic when something pops out at you
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    RE6 was an absolute shocker
  • Tension in survival horror often seems based on not quite being agile enough to escape. I reckon there's a developer somewhere capable of having a crack at modernising the genre without losing the appeal. It's worth a shot anyway.
  • The clunky 'movement' thing is a conscious design choice that comes with survival horror.
    Otherwise the action would just decend into gears of war/halo/action anime territory.

Cue the RE6 ultra slick movement and melee options.
  • Why would it have to be like that? It could be consciously designed differently, perhaps with a nimble character for starters (rather than one that roadie runs on the ceiling or fires laser beams out of her tits or whatever). Like how other game genres meddle with the fundamentals from time to time, or blend things together. Surely game design isn't as restrictive as 'don't deviate from the existing decades old survival horror template or it's not survival horror'?
  • Forgot about dying light introducing parkour to the movement.
  • Just watched a trailer. Looks great. Open world no thanks but yeah, props for doing things differently.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oldmanclouds.jpg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Why would it have to be like that? It could be consciously designed differently, perhaps with a nimble character for starters (rather than one that roadie runs on the ceiling or fires laser beams out of her tits or whatever). Like how other game genres meddle with the fundamentals from time to time, or blend things together. Surely game design isn't as restrictive as 'don't deviate from the existing decades old survival horror template or it's not survival horror'?

Tell me more about the laser tits
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Why would it have to be like that? It could be consciously designed differently, perhaps with a nimble character for starters (rather than one that roadie runs on the ceiling or fires laser beams out of her tits or whatever). Like how other game genres meddle with the fundamentals from time to time, or blend things together. Surely game design isn't as restrictive as 'don't deviate from the existing decades old survival horror template or it's not survival horror'?

The fan backlash to RE6 was so extreme that Capcom rewrote the formula and went back to basics with re7.
    The weird thing is re6 was one of their best selling titles iirc. It will be interesting to see how capcom will handle the RE remakes of RE5 and RE6 when they get there. They'll get there eventually.

Dying light I have yet to try out.
  • Oldmanclouds.jpg

I'm usually a bit of an old man with games ('more originally and new IPs!' isn't one of mine). This is me being youthful, vibrant and forward thinking. Cast off the shackles of the tank controls! No more waist height impasses!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's more those complaining that why does game have things I don't like game please be thing I like. Its just not a game for ya, crack on innit.
  • All I'm saying is that under the sexy exterior DS is a bit knackered.
  • Is DS Dead Space or Dark Soldier? Hard to tell from that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Das rude
  • Dead Space is decent, just caught a beastie in a cryogenic chamber which was neat. Feels like an [8] at this stage.

I've just had a hankering for a fresh take on the genre for a few years is all. A remake of a 360 game was never likely to be it tbf.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

The vulnerability is key. If you add in movement options to make you feel less vulnerable, it's not a survival horror
  • One hit kills the spritely character then.
  • Also: it's not your father's survival horror.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!