Currently Playing
  • Absolutely. Mileage varies on whether that belongs in a survival horror game clearly, but that looks like the sort of curveball I'd fancy trying. Hunk mentioned that game yesterday and it's definitely not what I thought it was.

For the record I don't think that level of movement could just be plonked in the Dead Space remake because I'm not quite as much of an idiot as muzzy thinks I am.

Edit: misunderstood this at the time - I thought you'd linked to footage from Dying Light rather than a tech demo, and read 'Days Gone' as Dying Light, partly because I forgot that biker zombie game existed. Still...that movement in a Days Gone kind of game sounds pretty good to me, so I'll stick with the wrong end of the stick.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dead Space 3 has dodge, therefore dodge in survival horror is good, when DS3 is the worst in the series. Righto. ;)

There's no jump (outside of zero G) or crouch, either, but the game still works. The bishop in chess can only move diagonally; queen OP nerf next patch plox.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Absolutely. Mileage varies on whether that belongs in a survival horror game clearly, but that looks like the sort of curveball I'd fancy trying. Hunk mentioned that game yesterday and it's definitely not what I thought it was.

For the record I don't think that level of movement could just be plonked in the Dead Space remake because I'm not quite as much of an idiot as muzzy thinks I am.

Oh no of course not, but a survival horror game built with that kind of movement in mind would be a great addition to the current survival horrors. There’s definitely room for both in the right play spaces.
  • The main thing is that the abilities, movement speed, agility and so on, of the player character marry up with what is being asked of the player.

As survival horror has ramped up the action over the years, especially in boss fights, I have found at times I'm fighting the controls or the speed of animations. Often fine in the corridor bits but lacking when being shot with a meat rocket from a space zombie meatball the size of a SUV.

Do they need a dodge button? Maybe, maybe not but I shouldn't be getting hit by bosses because my character is clunking around the edge of a crate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cos I mentioned Dead Space at the start of what I hoped would be a wider discussion about survival horror and Sparky's lockjawed it?

Ah, so you're open to discussion as long as I agree with you? Otherwise I'm lockjawing it? Cool
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also Dead Space 3 has a roll dodge and the character's in a massive space suit with big helmet on in that too.

*slowly ambles away*

Might have something to do with 3 being recognized as the shit one
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    They're staples of the genre, not being able to smoothly glide around is what increases the panic when something pops out at you

This reads like a comment on the movement style in survival horror in general.

The vulnerability is key. If you add in movement options to make you feel less vulnerable, it's not a survival horror

So does this ^^

The point I'm making is that it's totally possible to see a version of SH games that give more movement options whilst retaining the SH-ness. DS dodge is brought up as an example of a mobility mechanic that's balanced around not being spammy and needing to be used judiciously; its an example and one that for me at least is easy to see how it could live in the SH genre.

I mean it's both. Dead Space is a survival horror game. Restrictions on movement are conscious decisions and apply to the game and the genre alike. I framed my comments with Dead Space in mind though, as that's where the point was raised and it's the best example I can think of where restricted movement is used well
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    This kinda movement in a Days Gone type game Moot?

https://x.com/project_deniz/status/1762862781068398789?s=46

Days Gone and Dying Light have great movement but I'd not put them in the survival horror genre. Open world action RPG/adventure type of thing.

Days Gone is actually a good example of what would happen if you boosted the movement of the Dead Space player character and enemies. More open spaces and extra enemies to account for it and you lose the claustrophobic atmosphere entirely
  • Verecocha wrote:
    This kinda movement in a Days Gone type game Moot?

https://x.com/project_deniz/status/1762862781068398789?s=46

Days Gone and Dying Light have great movement but I'd not put them in the survival horror genre. Open world action RPG/adventure type of thing.

Days Gone is actually a good example of what would happen if you boosted the movement of the Dead Space player character and enemies. More open spaces and extra enemies to account for it and you lose the claustrophobic atmosphere entirely

Think there’s space for a hybrid though with a smaller play space and enough of a mix of enemies to use that movement in a survival horror though.

It’s that sweet spot you’d have to hit between say Alien and Aliens, which has gotta be a small window to get the best of both.
  • So no one played the remake of the last of us 2 with its new mode then.
    Great movement and survival horror.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    digi wrote:
    So no one played the remake of the last of us 2 with its new mode then.

Lol no
  • digi wrote:

Is this one minus the exhausting misery and depression?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cos I mentioned Dead Space at the start of what I hoped would be a wider discussion about survival horror and Sparky's lockjawed it?

Ah, so you're open to discussion as long as I agree with you? Otherwise I'm lockjawing it? Cool

There's not much to discuss if we're solely focusing on Dead Space. You're probably right when it comes to that specific game, ergo my initial knee-jerk dodge craving isn't a hill I'd like to die on. I might prefer it with a roll, I might not.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I mean, I wasn't stopping anyone from talking about other games. You made a point about that game and I responded to it, and had to keep clarifying it because people were talking about stealth games and all sorts, as if they're going about things in the same way
  • Verecocha wrote:
    digi wrote:

It's an extra mode and it's great!
  • I know I was playing dude. Played through part one and planned to go straight into 2 but need a good break.
  • digi wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    digi wrote:

It's an extra mode and it's great!

I didn't play the extra mode as it'll just make me annoyed it's not factions 2. The game though, does have fantastic movement and controls and at times does feel a bit like SH.

• I can't think of any examples that fit exactly, but survival horror with a highly mobile main character doesn't sound too out there to me.

Like what if the protagonist was a child - nimble, able to hide in small spaces, run, etc. - but unarmed and easily killed? That could be proper scary.
  • Little Nightmares is a survival horror game really, it's just not a Survival Horror kind of game.

#rollsafe
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I can't think of any examples that fit exactly, but survival horror with a highly mobile main character doesn't sound too out there to me.

Like what if the protagonist was a child - nimble, able to hide in small spaces, run, etc. - but unarmed and easily killed? That could be proper scary.

Alien Isolation is like that. Running and hiding etc.

No dodging out of the xenomorph's way once you're caught though, just ded
  • Tried Dead Island 2. A bland wet fart of a game. The dropkicking was fun for a second though. Uninstalled.

If you paid money for that game, you have my condolences.

Yeah it’s not great
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I can't think of any examples that fit exactly, but survival horror with a highly mobile main character doesn't sound too out there to me. Like what if the protagonist was a child - nimble, able to hide in small spaces, run, etc. - but unarmed and easily killed? That could be proper scary.
    Alien Isolation is like that. Running and hiding etc. No dodging out of the xenomorph's way once you're caught though, just ded

Survival horror could work with a dodge mechanic. But I (and I think sparky) thinks Dead Space doesn't need it. As with everything in video games, the answer to the questions "Why can I... ?" and "Why can't I... ?" should always be "Because it makes the game more fun".

I mean, if Lara Croft could fly, it'd make Tomb Raider games easier. But more fun? Probably not. In EDGE 394, the dev team of Thrasher (the spiritual VR sequel to Thumper) said they added an arbitrary time limit to the game because it added a sense of urgency, and hence, fun. Without it, testers just meandered around and found the game dull.

Can mobility work in survival horror? Yeah, maybe. Would Dead Space be better if you could dodge? Mayber.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water has a dodge. And it's a trad survival horror, so the mix can work. 

Disclaimer: That does not mean it would be the right choice for Dead Space.
  • All this thread shows is that you all need to be spending more time on the non-blockbuster 90s and 00s Japanese horror games. Try some Siren, play some Fatal Frame. It's good shit.
  • I thought Thumper was magnificent so I'll trust their judgement but on paper adding an arbitrary time limit sounds like the sort of thing that would make a game less fun. @swirl.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water has a dodge. And it's a trad survival horror, so the mix can work.  Disclaimer: That does not mean it would be the right choice for Dead Space.

Aye, different games, different solutions. In traditional Mario titles, you can jump. It's fun. In Captain Toad, you can't. It's a platformer in which you can't jump, but is still stonking good fun.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can't believe Swirl thinks Flight Simulator would be better without flying
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought Thumper was magnificent so I'll trust their judgement but on paper adding an arbitrary time limit sounds like the sort of thing that would make a game less fun. @swirl.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Without it, testers just meandered around and found the game dull.

Without it, it was like playing Doom with god mode enabled. No challenge, no risk, no reward.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!