We Hate Adverts
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Without being facetious, "we" as in society, because we haven't tried to make it illegal or fail to respond to it in a way that makes it pointless.  It's a bit daft to suggest that we should vote on everything like that, but as the vast majority don't seem to be offended by seeing the occasional Coke billboard on their morning commute, I like to think that's effectively tacit acceptance.
    I never mentioned voting. The process has clearly been a gradual one that has crept up on us for many years, but without any real discussion as any point as to whether it's a good idea. And now it's everywhere and it's hard to imagine putting the genie back in the bottle, but it causes antagonism more and more. The points that ads are more invasive than ever before, and no one's ever really thought to ask whether it's what we want or whether it's good for us are straightforward enough.
    I think it's an entirely valid argument, as we're the sort of society that can be involved in making its own laws.
    The law we have assumes private property a priori and much of it is based on that without any consideration of whether it's suitable. It's far fetched to say we make our own laws in any other than the most limited sense.
    If enough people wanted street art legalised, then it'd end up being tabled by MPs and discussed, and if enough people wanted it that way it'd end up having a good chance of happening.  Instead, we respect peoples' rights to not have their property vandalised. I don't like much street art.  I can see the artistic merit in some of Banksy's stuff (although that Coke bottle one is horseshit), but in general I'd rather not have shitty graffiti daubed around my home town.  I also don't think it's right that because some twat with a spraycan likes it, the council or indeed me have to pop along with a pile of paint and spend money and time fixing it.
    Street art is there because people want to express in a way that is confrontational and perhaps irritating, as well as communal. Legality or designated space is the opposite of its intention. I like it because of that, as a kind of civil disobedience (I'm glad to see some people getting annoyed by it - it's doing its job), which at the same time means the people who do it can still be prosecuted for vandalism, or the art can be painted over or even sold by the owner of the property if things get wanky enough. I have no problem with that, but long may it continue.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Talking of adverts, there was an interesting article in the most recent Guardian Weekly (yes, I read the Guardian) about the thin line between adverts and propaganda. The argument ran that just because our propaganda is from corporations, not governments, and these days is distributed by its very targets via social media, doesn't mean that our behaviour is not being influenced by it.
    A political system that protects the elite and provides a mere illusion of democratic choice relies on a population enthralled by the latest iPhone.

We do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time discussing the relative merits of Android versus iOS, and very little time lamenting the fact that the major political parties are essentially carbon copies of each other.

th?id=H.4636581456907522&pid=1.7

big-mac-ad.jpg
    The assumption that we are free and self-determining makes our advertising culture seem less blatant than it is. Children throw it into relief. Catching sight of a Big Mac billboard ad, my three-year-old son remarked with straightforward appreciation, "That's a nice sandwhich."

Oh, and while we're on the subject, spray painting someone's house = vandalism. Spray painting a public wall with something artistic = clever use of space. Defacing an advert to point out its flaws = defending yourself from a constant onslaught of images trying to make you feel inadequate. Long may Banksy continue to do his (their?) thing.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Sao Paulo, as some of ye might recall, has been public ad-free for a while. Here're some pictures.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did not know that. That's very cool.
  • It is. The legislative scheme was very much "no one chose to opt into being bombarded with ads unlike buying a magazine or whatever so fuck this noise let there be none of it".

I think they need a few more murals though, it's a touch gloomy.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yes, more power to them.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I think they need a few more murals though, it's a touch gloomy.

I'm with you there, although they did rather miss a trick in leaving some of the hoardings in place and covering them with arts in the meantime.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    But what is 100% art?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Sao Paulo, as some of ye might recall, has been public ad-free for a while. Here're some pictures.

That's all kinds of epic. Reminds me of a happier version of those pictures you see of old Soviet cities from the 80s. I think it speaks volumes that a cityscape without ads looks odd.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    But what is 100% art?

Art is unquantifiable. Unless you're Charles Saatchi.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Sao Paulo, as some of ye might recall, has been public ad-free for a while. Here're some pictures.
    I should go and live there.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I like the way a Flickr set about no adverts turns into a set of adverts.

Almost but not quite as good as when No Logo was turned into a logo.
  • That advert for a Spanish beer where the lead singer of the band, the guy in drag, is singing, "Tonight, tonight, tonight, I wanna be with you," so, so badly out of tune.  I hate that advert, and it seems to be on more than most.
  • Bone conduction tech's nothing new but that kind of application is all kinds of rude.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There was a company that was trying to raise funds to create a machine that would beam adverts onto the moon using lasers. If they ever did, I'd feel entirely within my rights to find the machine and smash it into tiny little pieces.
  • On the graffiti issue, go to Berlin and see what a fucking mess it is.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Parts of Berlin have as much graff as we see here. Charlottenburg, Schoenburg, Teirgarten- basically the West. Those areas to me feel like any other sanitised European city. In mind those areas are more of a mess than areas where graff is prevalent. Murals play a big part in Berlin too and it's a better place for it. Naturally, if you ask me.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There was a company that was trying to raise funds to create a machine that would beam adverts onto the moon using lasers. If they ever did, I'd feel entirely within my rights to find the machine and smash it into tiny little pieces.

I'll hold it down, you hit it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No-one's allowed to say 'chocolate' in ads without plenty of Moyles' fatmouth on it; albeit sexy, female fatmouth. One has to pronounce it in the manner of someone addressing Mick in Brookside.

On the other hand, 'teeth' has to be utterly perfect. I can't do it. I can just about differentiate 'three' and 'free', but I can only manage 'teef'. This apparently indicates poor alignment and shit, so no 'paste adverts for me. You need tons of air and tongue height behind the 'th'.

Do we have a rants' thread? This is a bit related, so here we are: Shih-Tzu is nowhere near shit-su. Appropriate for Alan Carr calibre comedy, yes, but please don't do it. It's 'she', and the Tzu is closer to 'zoo' than 'su'. She-zoo.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh! That's it! Heston Wassischops' popcorn ice-cream. Piss off.

Derren Brown built his career on making his punters feel informed as he fooled them. Hesto targets in the same fashion. His food isn't 'oh, sounds nice', but 'look how adventurous I am!' pic.twitter #lookatme #datfuck. Middle-class catnip.

Let's see some real adventure, then. Let's see you mashing your expensive fairy cakes up and blending them - in yer poncy blender - with some milk and honey and Butcombe Gold. And a turnip.

[edit]

Commence anger roll... Magazine-certified experts recommending you start with a good something ('cause if it's not good, it might be bad!), for this-many-pounds from this-online-company. Yeah, I know your game.
  • Popcorn icecream? I now want this.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You're you; you have an excuse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Insidious advert of the week: I've seen ads on trains for a Netflix-type service that includes the tag line 'stay safe, stay in'. Yep, stoke people's unnecessarily high fear of crime in order to make yourselves a quick buck. Bastards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Can't remember which channel this arrangement is with - but films are sponsored by 118 - and those fucking little "comedic" pieces they have bookending the ad break - really - fucking - annoying,

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Popcorn icecream? I now want this.

It's with salted caramel I believe. To be fair to old Heston it sounds pretty lipsmacking.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm aware of how desperately middle class this makes me sound, but Heston's Popcorn Ice-Cream has been sold out for the last week in Waitrose. Almost felt enraged enough to send a letter to the MD. Almost. 

It is gorgeous stuff, mind.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    Almost felt enraged enough to send a letter to the MD.

In a hessian pouch?

I get ice-cream because it's ice-cream, but it comes off the bat of his snail porridge. Look at me - I'm a sporridger! Social-statement food.

I've no truck with self-creators.

• Escape wrote:
    I can just about differentiate 'three' and 'free', but I can only manage 'teef'. This apparently indicates poor alignment and shit, so no 'paste adverts for me. You need tons of air and tongue height behind the 'th'.
    You are using the wrong parts of your mouth.  Don't worry, lots of people do.  The 'th' at the end of teeth is a voiceless dental fricative.  The tongue should contact the bottom of the top teeth.  'Teef' is said by ending with a voiceless labio-dental fricative.  This time, the bottom lip makes contact with the bottom of the top teeth, instead of the tongue.
  • Scapes what if one becomes an esoterinosh booster because it just tastes fucking ace.

I mean are you just bothered by the formatting of evangelism or wut.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!