Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I know, but don't think Mrs Boris will fall for another gadget purchase yet.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Well that's a shame. Soon, everyone here can be used to guilt trip your missus into agreeing for anything.

"But wifey, the forums says..."
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I bought and read Edge from issue 50 until a couple of years ago, when I realised that I really wasn't interested in most of the content - from the developer gumph at the back to the ever-pointless previews section at the front (is there ever a point to previews? It's just PR and promises that will subsequently be broken), via the redundant columnists (Biffo FTW) there was nothing worth my money besides the reviews and they're all online anyway. Quite honestly I don't really know who Edge is for these days - developers? 'Core' gamers?

Also, the covers..... I mean, this month it's a photo of a PS4. Big fucking whoop.
    XBL DirtyAmpyNoakes; PSN Dampy64
  • I bought something like issue 6, the one with Ridge Racer on the cover and lots of stuff about PSX.  

The idea of cheaper paper makes me a bit sad.  The iPad edition's good but I can't read it in my pool, the iPad doesn't like the brightness of the sun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    The iPad edition's good but I can't read it in my pool, the iPad doesn't like the brightness of the sun.

I feel for you.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'd probably buy a Kindle version of Edge if they did one. That's Kindle as in e-paper Kindles, obviously.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Elm world problems
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'd probably buy a Kindle version of Edge if they did one. That's Kindle as in e-paper Kindles, obviously.

me too.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Buying a magazine in a digital format (thus making it akin to a bad website) seems utterly redundant to me, but maybe I'm just an old man.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Elm world problems

My steam shower still doesn't work.
  • 20 years. FFS.

Yep, what i thought.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Buying a magazine in a digital format (thus making it akin to a bad website) seems utterly redundant to me, but maybe I'm just an old man.

Actually works well as long as they make the effort to convert it and make it interactive. Reading a review and watching a video of the game is always good.
  • Not sure if it's always been there but it said something about using recycled paper in this issue.
    Quality definitely worse than normal. This is my last subscriber issue.

And therefore very likely to be my last every issue. This isn't worth five English pounds.

End of an era....
  • That's always been there. It's just cheaper paper.
    Can't say It bothers me. If that's what they have to do to keep going in print then fair play to them.
    I haven't read Edge in some time now. Cut the strings when we...um...cut the strings.
    I picked up last month's issue to read on the plane to Brazil. It ran to 210 pages.
    I picked up the new issue because being in Brazil meant I've missed everything about E3 and the new consoles. This month it runs to 130 pages.
    Now I appreciate that the size of Edge has traditionally fluctuated throughout the year, but given that this issue is basically the big new consoles issue, you would have thought they would have been able to fill a few more pages than they did.

sign of the times perhaps

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    The iPad edition's good but I can't read it in my pool, the iPad doesn't like the brightness of the sun.

I feel for you.

The backlight's a boon for me when I'm down the mines.
  • I bought and read Edge from issue 50 until a couple of years ago, when I realised that I really wasn't interested in most of the content - from the developer gumph at the back to the ever-pointless previews section at the front (is there ever a point to previews? It's just PR and promises that will subsequently be broken), via the redundant columnists (Biffo FTW) there was nothing worth my money besides the reviews and they're all online anyway. Quite honestly I don't really know who Edge is for these days - developers? 'Core' gamers? Also, the covers..... I mean, this month it's a photo of a PS4. Big fucking whoop.

Ah yes, the useless previews. I've never liked that Edge (and all other magazines in fairness) would accept rendered pictures for previews. Its not an indication of anything really. And the previews themselves cant be too detrimental as that would be unfair to a finished product (although I do remember a few previews which were quite harsh).

I honestly believe the never-ending run of previews and hype for some games can be more damaging than helpful to a new game. The same applies to movies. I've found that if I dont pay too much attention to these things I enjoy the finished game a lot more.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I've never liked that Edge (and all other magazines in fairness) would accept rendered pictures for previews. Its not an indication of anything really.

I remember I stopped buying Sega Power when they previewed Star Wars Arcade and Doom on the 32X, and filled eight pages with screenshots of the arcade game and the PC version.  A few years earlier I thought it was a bit off when they reviewed the Champion Edition of SFII on the Megadrive (which had black borders at the top of the screen, separating the energy bars from the action).  They gave it 98% iirc, but seemed unware at the time that Capcom had switched development to a 'Special Champion Edition', with extra turbo speeds and no border divide etc, which they slapped another 98% on in a subsequent issue with no real apology.  So not only did they attribute a score to a preview copy, they effectively reviewed the wrong game too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:

I feel for you.

The backlight's a boon for me when I'm down the mines.

My Kindle's one of the first international editions - (v2) with the keyboard and roaming 3G so I can buy a book or do basic web browsing anywhere - no backlight for me then - but I like it that way. Think it set wifey back the guts of £300 back then......how things have changed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd have to say its exactly opposite for me on the previews, it gave me something to get excited about, didn't really matter whether the game lived up to the hype or not... But then again I'm a sucker for movie trailers.
  • Yeah, I always really liked the previews too.

coming soon

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nagoshi. Hype. [numbers]. Reg.
  • g.man wrote:
    Now I appreciate that the size of Edge has traditionally fluctuated throughout the year, but given that this issue is basically the big new consoles issue, you would have thought they would have been able to fill a few more pages than they did. sign of the times perhaps g.man

It is; like someone pointed out a few posts ago, your news is easy to grab via the internet now, so by the time Edge is published, any news stuff is out of date.  They can do opinion and dissection, but raw news doesn't really cut it anymore.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I'd have to say its exactly opposite for me on the previews, it gave me something to get excited about, didn't really matter whether the game lived up to the hype or not... But then again I'm a sucker for movie trailers.

I enjoy a good movie trailer, but I wouldn't pay £5 to watch 'em.

• Pretty certain this was my first issue:

EDGEcov119.jpg

Collected for a few years, but stopped when the articles just weren't interesting anymore.

They need to bring back Red Eye.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

I dunno, if someone got all the best trailers put em together into an hour long film I'd go :-)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I dunno, if someone got all the best trailers put em together into an hour long film I'd go :-)

Its like the trailer tapes you used to get with Empire magazine in the early 90's, no matter how good the trailers are though, after about half an hour it starts getting tedious.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    They need to bring back Red Eye.

I thought he still contributed to hype or reviews. But yeah, a column would be nostalgic.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Edge needs some oomph. An angle. Some controversy. It just seems so bland and 'industry'.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It had plenty of that with the last issue unfortunately.

I don't need oomph and controversy from a video games magazine.
  • God knows what my first issue was. Maybe the original Burnout issue? 

My favourite features were always Time Extend and particularly The Making Of... when they touched on 16-bit and earlier titles. I always found those fascinating. The The Making Of... special is a fantastic read. I still think it's probably the best game magazine on the market, but that market has simply become increasingly irrelevant over the years and, for me, there's not enough of interest in the magazine to warrant a purchase.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!