PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PUSH (PC)

One of my usual puzzler punts - and it was pretty dull tbh.  No particularly good ideas, aesthetic a bit meh, rules uninspired, ya standard [5] really.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ghost Trick - After Snatcher I was like "What other detective games could I play???" I'm currently playing the fan translation of Policenauts for the Saturn but I also dug out my copy of Ghost Trick for Nintendo DS, which I bought the best part of a decade ago but never played. What a game! Really engaging and fun despite being in a genre that's traditionally quite texty. I kept expecting a moment where it would jump the shark and the puzzles would become overwrought and unenjoyable but it never came - just really good right to the end. It also looks really nice on the Nintendo DS with the graphics highly stylised around the low resolution display. Big thumbs up from me - I should've played it years ago!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What a good game
  • Elegy for a Dead World. I guess.

What a potentially interesting idea. You roam around, and you write stuff.  And you can look at others work.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paper Mario - The Origami King, completely complete
    Spoiler:

Quite a bittersweet ending, which I wasn't really expecting, although not a patch on that moment, which if you've seen it, you'll know. That'll go down as a traumatic moment in my Mario history.

Frustratingly, like Xenoblade 2, I only really got the hang and mastered the battle system in the final area. Until then, for some reason, my brain hadn't even computed doing a sliding tile on a boss, I thought it was rings only. The last few bosses were cakewalk following that.

The battle system will be divisive, for sure. I found it just complex enough to keep me engaged through the game, and by the time you have enough accessories and strong enough weapons, defeating the enemies becomes about solving a puzzle, not really worrying about timing A presses, which is a bit of a shift for the series. That said, I wouldn't thank you for another game with the same mechanics.

The real joy of the game is the wrapping around it all - the visuals, the sound, and the writing. Every time I entered a new area I was excited to hear the music (and who knew the music in Toad Town slightly changed every time you cleared a streamer?!) Which is up there with some of Nintendo's best. I await spending £45 to import a 3 disc soundtrack from Amazon Japan. The writing keeps up until the very end, and not only does the great Nintendo pun game, but is completely affecting in about 4 key plot points.

It sounds like I'm saying it's a game you should play in spite of itself, and while I don't think that's how I feel, it was a game I kept playing to see what was next, rather than to get stuck into more minigames or battles.

If we did half scores, I would give it a 7.5, but ima round down and give it a solid 7. A good, entertaining Paper Mario.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Policenauts for Saturn (emulated fan translation) - Like Snatcher this is very much a one-of-kind experience even though it isn't perfect - essentially an interactive '90s sci-fi detective anime. The presentation is really nice and the fan translation is excellent and could be a professional release. The Japanese voice acting is also good. The sci-fi setting is well-realised and better developed than Snatcher, with additional worldbuilding details available in an interactive Saturn-only glossary that allows you to easily look up terms that have just been mentioned in dialogue.

Despite its merits, it is somewhat flawed and comes second-place to Snatcher to me. The pacing is a bit too slow early in the game then becomes too rushed and conveniently wrapped up later in the game. The game mostly hangs together tonally, deftly balancing serious plot points with occasionally fourth-wall breaking comic relief, but IMO one of the major plot points feels a bit dumb to me and thus undermines the credible sci-fi setting that has had so much effort poured into setting up. The interactive bits are more varied than Snatcher but can feel like spitefully designed difficulty spikes at times. As this isn't a Western release there is no censorship of the sexual harassment content, which has you preying on women in public service roles or in slightly vulnerable situations in order to jiggle their breasts - this aspect of the game has aged badly in 2020.

This is a good 7/10 game - not the best game you'll ever play but an irreplicable and meritorious experience. Definitely worth playing if you enjoyed Snatcher or are interested in exploring Kojima's back catalogue.
  • I’ve been on a bit of a clear up of some games that have been hanging around recently, and also a recent purchase. I’ve finished:

Devil May Cry V
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Spider-Man
    Superhot

I think they were all solid 7/8’s, with perhaps Spider-Man being my favourite of the 4.

DMCV had excellent combat, but the story and lack of interesting environments let it down.

Horizon was a game I abandoned around 18 months ago, but I got more into it at the second try. Enjoyed it, but the world was quite bare for an open world game. Loved the concept and taking down the big mechs though.

Spider-Man was visually stunning and the combat got better as you unlocked new moves and gadgets, but there was a lot of busy work in the city that wasn’t needed.

Superhot was the recent buy in the Switch sale. Really liked it, but felt like smashing my Switch on the last level. Got there in the end, mind. Only downside was the text based stuff, because it wasn’t as clever as the game was.
  • I tried multiple times to like Superhot, even in VR. I gave up playing What the Golf when the Superhot levels revealed themselves. Fuck that game. It's weird because the idea is brilliant. The stark look does nothing for me.
  • Shadow of Mordor. I'm so glad I persevered with this one. I've had this game since I bought my PS4 but I just kept putting it off - at first because of the controls and then because I had so many other open world games.
    In the end it turns out that I much prefer it's world design to others, despite it being pretty old now.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Comparisons to Mordor are the reason I think I'd get on with Tsushima.  It was just an open plan brawler really, and the encounters/battles were fun.  I thought Mad Max was just as good (if not a touch better), probably because it had a similar combat system.

Edit: Watching some vids now.  Such a bafflingly under-appreciated game (and stunning to boot): 

I think maybe the open world games that aren't considered to be doing enough to push the format forward are the ones I click with.  I should probably try Days Gone at some point.  Sleeping Dogs > Horizon Zero Dawn says me.
  • I never got on with sleeping dogs, but thanks for reminding me about Mad Max - I got that free on PS plus.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Observation (PC)

Hmm.  I don't think I particularly liked it?  It kinda looked ok (though really jerky even on my new box), but the puzzles were pretty dull, and the story not all that really.  I guess the narrator side of it & camera jazz was kinda interesting & novel, but it didn't do nearly enough with it IMO.  Just not very fun?   [5]
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Again (Nintendo DS) - I thought about picking this up for years as I like Cing's other games but I never felt a massive urgency as the reviews were quite tepid and I was worried I'd be disappointed. The vibe I got was that it was significantly inferior to the Another Code and Hotel Dusk games, the localisation was bad and it ended on a horrific cliffhanger for a second game that never came. But with my recent interest in detective games, I finally decided to give it a go.

Presentationally, it's definitely very ideosyncratic in a way that I think few would argue stands up to the charming manga art style of Another Code and Hotel Dusk. It's very similar to the constantly-shifting character artwork of Hotel Dusk except the characters are real-life actors and the photography has been manipulated with a filter to give the same sense of constant animation. This is clearly a bunch of ex-pat would-be actors in Japan having a good time. Their gestures and facial expressions are quite exaggerated as though they've been directed to look like anime characters but real. It is not surprising that this art style did not charm back in 2010 but now that we are way beyond anything like this, it is pleasantly goofy to go back to, like a cheesy Mega CD game.

Gameplay-wise, aside from the visual novel segements, you have the ability to see in the past and use this ability to solve a set of serial murders from 1991 so that in turn you can solve a set of copycat murders that are taking place in the present day. You navigate a crime scene with the top screen showing the scene in the past and the bottom screen showing the scene in the present. By making the current scene look like the past (often using touchscreen interaction) you see visions of the crime. These gameplay sections were rightly critised by critics for having a health system where a life bar is depleted for trying to see a vision in the wrong area. Not only is this not a sufficient impediment for the player to be worthwhile but there is not enough internal logic in this 'spot the difference' for it to be fair - there are many occasions where the past and present scenes do not much for purely incidental reasons.

I actually really got into the plot, which is why I've torn through the game across three days. It's conventional and not as unique as Cing's other games but is engaging. The localisation has some dumb spelling and grammatical errors and is perhaps more literal and less lively than if it had been localised by Nintendo but is generally perfectly fine. I was bracing myself for the cliffhanger but feel the original criticism was unfair - the murder mystery in this game COMPLETELY gets wrapped up and the cliffhanger is just a sequel hook. I felt completely satisfied just, yet again, disappointed that Cing went bankrupt and left their plot threads hanging.

I would only recommend this to people who have exhausted Cing's well-known games and still want more but I do genuinely recommend it to those people - I was pleasantly surprised and had a mostly good time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I always admired ERE a stickler for the rules, and upholder of those good old-fashioned values that keeps the world ticking over, one if the good guys.

But here we are, in the Just Completed thread, and there's a review with no score attached. Fucking disgraceful. How have we sunk this low?

Fuck you 2020. Fucking Jeremy Corbyn.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I always admired ERE a stickler for the rules, and upholder of those good old-fashioned values that keeps the world ticking over, one if the good guys.

But here we are, in the Just Completed thread, and there's a review with no score attached. Fucking disgraceful. How have we sunk this low?

Fuck you 2020. Fucking Jeremy Corbyn.

I'm the OP, there is no score rule and the first two posts in this thread are two reviews from me with no score.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That makes it worse not better
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Touryst (BoneX)

Looks great, and kinda charming too fur the most part - but some frustrations asking the way (painfully 2D camera for some 3D jumping bits, and obligatory endgame faff). But the highlights are pretty nice, so a [7] I guess?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pikuniku (BoneX)

Yeah didn't really feel it. Not very funny, awkward platforming, fairly meh. [6].
  • Fractured Minds.

I liked it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it's kinda weird but interesting, and just one person made it I think which is always nice!
  • Slay the spire.
    GotG for me.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Slay the spire.
    GotG for me.

Yep... but have you “finished” it? ;-)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Portopia Serial Murder Case (Famicom - fan translation) - The one that (nearly) started it all. I've been playing a lot of detective games recently and decided I needed to check this out as a seminal early entry in the genre. This game is often credited as being the first visual novel game. While it technically isn't the first Japanese-developed graphical adventure game, the Famicom version is the first to use a menu-driven interface as opposed to a text parser - and it's the first crime-based one. This game is an early project by Yuji Horii, who would go on to mastermind the Dragon Quest franchise that, again, pioneered bringing a game genre (role-playing games) to a streamlined console interface. It is actually a part of a trilogy of crime-based games. This one contains a Wizardry-influenced maze section, the final one contains an Ultima-style RPG section that is an early forerunner of Dragon Quest (except instead of slimes you are attacking sex offenders and instead of magic your girlfriend flashes her panties as a special attack).

Portopia is the standard stuff really - you have locations, you can use the menu to investigate them, talk to people, interrogate them at the police station etc. There are some interesting interactions - you can go to a strip club and hostess bar in the red light district and also abuse your powers as a police officer by beating suspects and strip-searching them. Unfortunately, the overall design is horrifically obtuse by modern standards. The Famicom version absolutely maxes out the ROM to the extent that applying the fan translation involves extra steps to increase the ROM size - but despite that, there is still little room for content compared to modern games. Instead of content, the game tries to pad out the playtime by whatever obtuse means it can. To play this without a walkthrough you would need to spend hours forensically investigating each screen with the magnifying glass as there are items placed with no visual clue to indicate anything is there. You need to repeatedly bash against a random section of wall in the maze to be able to access the secret room that solves the case. The actual solution itself is quite neat but without a walkthrough it isn't fun to find it in 2020.

It's a bit hard to recommend really - it's an interesting curio and quick to beat with the help of a walkthrough but it's also basically rendered obsolete as an entertainment by modern games. Even at the time the Yuji Horii crime trilogy was somewhat experimental and that comes across in this experience. One for historical completists only, I think.
  • The name rang a bell but I couldn't remember why... I've never played it, but I'd read a nice article about it a while ago: https://www.hardcoregaming101.net/portopia-renzoku-satsujin-jiken
    Must have been a real thrill to play something like this in 1983.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • A Short Hike

Got this on switch expecting to hate it as I read there was some Animal Crossing in the mix and thought it was going to be a charming, narrative driven walking simulator which isn’t to my taste.
    Pleasantly surprised, the story is both deep and light touch and there is some playing amongst the puzzles.  Particularly liked the ability to select which puzzles to solve rather than have progress gated.  The ending in particular was superb - avoiding all cliches.
    Down side is that the area was a bit confusing to memorise what’s where, sure there is plenty more for me to uncover but I will pass.
    8/10
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!