3D Modelling/CAD
  • Skerret wrote:
    Or kicking the shit out of grandmorph, he loved that. What's the piece for Temps, as in what are the requirements

Fully rendered and textured Kitchen. Has to have Fridge, and two types of cupboards as minimum recognisable features. Other than that it can be anything really. I have decided to go vaguely Post-Apoc/Abandoned cos y'know, that's whats in the gamez. That's why doors are hanging off etc.

Also witness my terrible Compositing Project video, and witness the fucking Awful 3D compositing implementation because I just didn't have enough time to get it right

• Yeah it has a dolls house or claymation set style to it, I like it.
    The lighting through the blinds is nice.

A helpful tip for lighting, which I think you have done anyway, light the scene in plain white or clay then turn textures back on. If the lighting looks right with plain white then it is right. If it then looks wrong with textures then it is a texture issue.

Also if you find renders are lagging a bit turn glossiness of reflections all the way up so it is like a mirror. Rough reflections are one of the most render heavy things early on.
  • I'll keep that in mind!

I haven't got Clay render on, that's just the 3DS max "default shader" settings. Hopefully I will get knee deep into texturing this week, so firing through some substance painter stuff over the next few days to get some grit and grime in there. I am very luck my partner knows how to do all this stuff!

I'm only rendering using Arnold cos that's what Ev knows how to do. I will probably look into Vray for my next project, or exporting to Unity perhaps.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If it's no matter give Unreal a try, I got some nice results from it for an AR industrial viewer prototype thing I did last year. RTRTFTW

Ambient occlusion map always looks lovely on relatively simple geometry.

Good work Temps! I'm working up the video after your description of it tho
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I have no time to experiment with stuff for renders this project sadly
  • Hey temps nice kitchen my dude, my only observation is that it looks like you're going to have some junk around the scene like the kitchen is ransacked or just dilapidated or something since its post apocalyptic vibe check time.

If so turn the reflection down on the floor a little bit to sell the grime/trashedness aesthetic. Imho hmv, etc.

I love how warm the lighting is though and I think it will play really nicely against the rest of the scene when it's all done.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It’s not textured so none of the lighting is super representative
  • True but whatever you're currently using in the scene has a very dreamy/syrupy golden hue on it and it looks like a nice idyllic morning sunlight coming through the blinds.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kitchen now has textures on it in places. Need to do better renders (these are only 720 low sample)

ENyyTy_XkAIEN-k?format=png&name=900x900
    ENyyTzBWkAI41JX?format=png&name=900x900
    ENyyTzLXkAAw7Mn?format=png&name=900x900
  • That is really nice man. Better than anything I did in the timeframe you have adopted 3D.

What render engine are you using? Are you allowed to do post processing (photoshopping) on stuff?
    Obviously if this is for real time I can see why they may not allow it.

Your lighting really is nice. Lighting is mostly talent so you are onto a winner there.

Quick point. Your bump map seems a little extreme on the floor tiles. With bump maps I would always take it into photoshop and adjust the levels so there are no pure blacks or whites.

Although my prefence now is to change them to normal maps using a relatively cheap bit of software called CrazyBump.
  • If you are struggling with render times and computers to render on for your final renders feel free to pack them up (I can explain how to do this) and I can probably bust out an overnight render of an angle or two depending on timings.
  • Cheers! I’m super lucky in that my partner has already done all this, and because she booked our holiday the week before my deadline (by accident) she has helped em out by UV unwrapping everything, and generally just condensing all the stuff she thinks I need to know to get it finished on time.

I’m using Arnold, cos it comes free with Max, and Ev know her way around it. Textures are via Substance Painter which is a lot of fun, but I am generally just doing the most basic stuff. Definitely want to fool around with it more though as it seems really fun.

As far as I am aware we can’t post process, i’ll need to check the hand in docs. Essentially we have to take 6 shots at the highest possible quality, and also and submit our project files, so it isn’t too taxing.
  • Knowing UVunwrap is really good. I worked freelance at an architecture house a few years back with a pair of absolutely amazing artists but they didnt know how to use the UVunwarp tools, just UVmap. So it is surprisingly in demand.

I knew you would like Substance Painter! I said this a while back, it is a great bit of software. Unfortunately I havent had a payable need to use it so have dropped off it. Only so many things you can learn right?

I don't know Arnold but that makes sense. We were taught Mental Ray for the same reasons.
    Can still bust out a render if it helps though.

Cool man.
    Check those submission specs. That is good practice for meeting briefs. What format, resolution and use are all important to get right and also influence the project.
  • I don't want to tell you what to do but I think you have a good eye for texturing and lighting. The fact you enjoy Substance Painter is a big plus.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No UVunwrap know-how? That's mad.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Looking good Temps. +1 on the lower floor bump map severity. Someone get some tarnoff on that hotplate.
  • Also fuck it. Shameless promo.
    I am attempting to do a render a day for the year and onward.
    Follow my Instagram @benlathy
  • Slower day than I would have liked today. To ease the load on Ev I tried to learn UV unwrapping and man, I am not good at it. Ev just walks over and fixes everything I do without hesitation. Still, I have everything textured now. Just need to finish laying out my scene and try some renders.

Has some mishaps with HDRI maps too, just not able to get them to play ball how I want.
  • Yea boi, making gains now. Only took an hour to render (sigh)

EOH7eGJX0AE5teT?format=jpg
  • An hour is nothing mate. Trust me. Those dailys I am doing take an hour or two to render, depending on the scene. The brain one took 2 hours and I would have happily let it go longer.

Looks good. Loving the grimey tiles. Lots of chaos, chaos is good because it shows work, as I am sure you have learnt 3d is the opposite to reality, making stuff dirt and messy takes effort.

The grime on your windows will definitely be adding to your render times.

I think there is a clash somewhere in the project in that if you were working in realtime (games) they wouldnt expect active lighting through a dirty window. While if you were working in movies (high end) you wouldnt be worried about render times as much, especially if someone asked you to make dirty windows.

Scene looks good though, you should be well happy with that.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mm very moody. also what eldritch horror flailed a melty tentacle against those tiles
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    aha also also that reminds me, I was dicking about in Magica Voxel with the new interface and features and I also did a kitchen, it must be catching.  Note my cat on the bench.  Obv Temps' is vastly better but I got all excited about voxel play again.  I want to give the new cloud renderer a go and I tried the noise reduction feature but for some reason it wouldn't work.  Annoying cos the demos look good and as you can see it's super noisy.  ANYWAY

keetchen.png
  • You tried ephtracy's Aerilod? It's hella addictive hitting up the mapping sites for LIDAR tiles.
  • EOJ89rOW4AATTzP?format=jpg

Another 1080p Test Render. Still noisy even though sampling improved! Probably too dark. Also bad Luke - leaving texture seams visible on bowls, and wtf is going on with that cooker hood? Edit: Wrong model with a texture applied, doh

Need to work out how to get rid of that border too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    You tried ephtracy's Aerilod? It's hella addictive hitting up the mapping sites for LIDAR tiles.
    Yes only briefly, looks great and I plan to make something for print using that I think, mm.

• EOjpr_sX4AY3kPV?format=jpg

First 1080p render. Took 5 hours! Yikes!

Tweaking some settings here and there, lowering the orange glow of the light and trying again whilst I am at work.
  • And another one, this time brighter

EOlN5e4XkAE1VCL?format=jpg

I can’t seem to get my HDRi map working so that’s bummed me out
  • Looking good Tempy.
  • Cheers! It’s not perfect and I haven’t been able to tweak textures as much as i’d like but I have no time, each render is about 5 hours and and I have to hand in 6 on Monday...

Discovered the joy of the active shader render window last night though. Wonderful when it work, but some times stuff breaks it and fixing it is laborious.

Ideally I wanted heavier god rays and some particle effects, but researching the way to make it work wasn’t fruitful. My current rays are given noise by a noise image plugged into a gobo filter, and then the arnold environment map has one of its settings up to give an edge to the light... problem is trying to make strong rays with that setting... ideally I probably want to use a different render engine, like Vray
  • Yeah render times are a fuck and you can end up spending longer trying to get them down than the actual render would have taken.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!