PC gaming.
  • I see the Last of Us PC release is going well.

I was planning on upgrading my PC when the prices return to some sort of normality. But with the state of releases this year I have no incentive to. My PC will still play the stuff I want to play. The few non rubbish AAA games will have to be on console for me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My understanding is Sony have been pretty solid with their PC releases. Isn’t this the exception?
  • Most but not all plus there are more than Sony releases on PC ;-)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Anyone want any of these Humble Bundle games?

1. Aliens Fireteam
    2. Monster Prom 2: Monster Camp
    3. Revita
    4. Founders' Fortune
  • If noone's interested I'll have Aliens fireteam?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s yours mate. Are you Mr of Unlocking, cos your sig and networks say different ;-)

Edit - ignore, sent you details, you can tell it’s my first time gifting anything.
  • I am indeed the 'mr of unlocking'.
    Cheers Boris, you're a don!
  • Anyone want Life is Strange 2 from the same bundle?
  • @Scout
    Ooh, I'm interested! But, don't want to be greedy as I already got aliens fireteam elite from boris.
    If anyone else wants to pick it up, go for it! Quite enjoyed the og Life is Strange, the sequel should be good even if it turns out to be more of the same.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I really enjoyed the original but couldn’t get into before the storm, have started it three times and just get bored.
  • No worries hunk. I'll try the gifting thing later.
  • So ended up pulling the trigger on a travel laptop.  I went with the Lenovo Yoga Creator 7.

https://www.technoworld.com/lenovo-yoga-creator-7-15imh05-82ds000huk-laptop

Seems like it is going to do the job well.  Setup was fairly straight forward and it seems to run a few of the games I want with no problems.  I'm now working my way through the steam library to decide what to put on it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rimworld!
  • Steam code for Blacksad going if anyone wants it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Desktop Dungeons is free on Steam. No idea if it's good or not but free is free.
  • Brooks wrote:

Yeah, been keeping an eye on that one, very impressive stuff.
  • That's a bit nuts. I assume VR and the rig required is gonna be pretty wild. I also assume the blurring of faces is to skip over the uncanny valley issues.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    That's a bit nuts. I assume VR and the rig required is gonna be pretty wild. I also assume the blurring of faces is to skip over the uncanny valley issues.

It's not VR - it's using a fisheye lens to mimic a bodycam, with the associated body shake. But yes, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors there to produce these visuals (and i don't mean that as a criticism). Games are basically Big Lies in how they're constructed and it's all about being smart and finding the right fudges. 

The use of an intentional lens camera view - the slight grain, the distortion allowed, the shake - means that a lot of things that would normally stick out get covered over - the texture work is good, sure, but it's still recognisable videogame textures...until you add grain and shake and your brain fills in the gaps, especially once you add in more "human" reload animations from this perspective, rather than a floating gun, something you can do because the game is a tactical shooter. 

Yes, the blurred faces also helps remove any issues when it comes to that too, as that is something that would stick out. 

They're making really good use of UE5 features (especially in lighting) which adds so much believability to a scene, and the game is in early dev where they've only really shown off those kinda abandoned concrete kinda environs which, again, aren't super hard to make look super real, especially once you got some quixel megascan stuff and the like in there.

Basically - it will look good, but it's also a small group of people being very smart about how it is all put together.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Is it really just a hero cop sim though? Because if so, no thanks.
  • JonB wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Is it really just a hero cop sim though? Because if so, no thanks.

Yup.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Black people murder simulator? None of the enemies in the game are armed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    NRA game of the year.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Press F to shout about the Constitution.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Genuine lulz.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    That's a bit nuts. I assume VR and the rig required is gonna be pretty wild. I also assume the blurring of faces is to skip over the uncanny valley issues.

It's not VR - it's using a fisheye lens to mimic a bodycam, with the associated body shake. But yes, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors there to produce these visuals (and i don't mean that as a criticism). Games are basically Big Lies in how they're constructed and it's all about being smart and finding the right fudges. 

The use of an intentional lens camera view - the slight grain, the distortion allowed, the shake - means that a lot of things that would normally stick out get covered over - the texture work is good, sure, but it's still recognisable videogame textures...until you add grain and shake and your brain fills in the gaps, especially once you add in more "human" reload animations from this perspective, rather than a floating gun, something you can do because the game is a tactical shooter. 

Yes, the blurred faces also helps remove any issues when it comes to that too, as that is something that would stick out. 

They're making really good use of UE5 features (especially in lighting) which adds so much believability to a scene, and the game is in early dev where they've only really shown off those kinda abandoned concrete kinda environs which, again, aren't super hard to make look super real, especially once you got some quixel megascan stuff and the like in there.

Basically - it will look good, but it's also a small group of people being very smart about how it is all put together.

I don't know how it's controlled? Like, the gun looks to be aiming separately to where the head is looking, so how are you doing that without VR? And the leaning out from cover seems more fluid and natural compared to something like R6 or PUBG lean toggle. Bit fishy if you ask me
  • I don't know how it's controlled? Like, the gun looks to be aiming separately to where the head is looking, so how are you doing that without VR? And the leaning out from cover seems more fluid and natural compared to something like R6 or PUBG lean toggle. Bit fishy if you ask me

They're using a free aim system and i expect there's some weight applied to body movement - needed in order to make the body cam feel natural. Probably some fancy inverse kinematics-esque jiggery pokery that simulates and predicts where movement should be.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I feel something like that would be a mare to control, yet here's this guy taking cover and aiming smoothly. And how is he moving, aiming, and selecting a dialogue option all at the same time?

Just gives off a whiff that it's not a guy actually playing it, but a vertical slice animation of what they're trying to do with the end product. There's a Last of Us first person mod which gives off the clunk this is missing. It's too smooth and slick to be gameplay for me, even heavily scripted gameplay
  • Just gives off a whiff that it's not a guy actually playing it, but a vertical slice animation of what they're trying to do with the end product.

Honestly, would not be surprised at that - they put their pitch deck up in their press kit and it states clearly they're shopping for publishers and investors.
  • Did anyone else immediately think an Owlman was gonna leap out into the shot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!