A thread for watch love
  • g.man wrote:
    Swatches are cool.

And clever. The sistem 51 is worth a look. An antimagnetic automatic watch, with one central screw and 90 hr power reserve, made by robots with just 51 pieces. Which hasn’t been done before with so few parts. Very clever.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Swatch at all. My first watch was a Swatch. The Swatch group own ETA and the ETA movements are used almost universally, therefore Swatch is practically inside almost every posh brand on earth.
    Minkymu wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Swatches are cool.

And clever. The sistem 51 is worth a look. An antimagnetic automatic watch, with one central screw and 90 hr power reserve, made by robots with just 51 pieces. Which hasn’t been done before with so few parts. Very clever.

That is actually really cool! Had no idea, I just use them as jewellery really, have a load in various colours by various artists etc.

Also a big fan of g shock but never bought one, I should take a look...
  • I will post a pic of my collection later, just for the hell of it. I stopped buying when son was born.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I will post a pic of my collection later, just for the hell of it. I stopped buying when son was born.

Yes please
    PSN - minkymu
  • I have a small selection of random watches accrued over the years mainly as gifts, nothing particularly fancy in there, the ones I am bothered about are an old nixon beastie boys watch my bro got me for xmas like 10 years ago and a titanium citizen eco drive which I got for my 18th and needs the capacitor replacing. Swapped the straps on both cos the one on the nixon watch perished, and the metal strap on the citizen really used to irritate my wrist for some reason. Thinking about it, these are probably the items I have that have the most sentimental value to me out of anything I own. 

iWOQ5K9.jpg

I suppose the only "nice" watch I have that I am too afraid to wear unless it's a family big occasion is my great uncles Longines Conquest that I inherited, doesn't have the original band, cos he swapped it for some stretchy metal one when his dexterity got too bad to deal with the regular strap, but I really like it, it's really comfortable to wear on the handful of occasions I have been brave enough to wear it. I know the glass is scratched, it's been like that since I had it, my Dad went to ask about getting it restored or replaces and the woman in the shop told him to basically fuck the fuck off because it's the original glass and it's better to just leave it how it is. Compared to some of the stuff that's already in here it's nothing special, I respect anyone brave enough to walk around with a watch worth a couple of grand at least on their wrist every day. 

Yupl08X.jpg

Oh yeah, btw nato straps for life.

Edit: Oh yeah, I frequently flirt with the idea of picking up an old  Seiko 5 as an automatic watch I could wear every day without worrying too much about it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Lovely.

Nixon do some great surf watches. The StarWars collection of watches was cool too, launched around the same time as Force Awakens.

I love Longines. Massive brand pre quartz crisis, still amazing now. Great heritage collection. These guys were bigger thsn Rolex are now back in the day. Great quality stuff. I want the heritage military piece.

Citizen ecodrives are bullet proof beasts. The ecodrive divers are quality. They have just launched an intergrated bracelet petite second hand dress watch, has a black sand texture dial. It’s gorgeous
    PSN - minkymu
  • Also im with you on the natos. Safety first and all that
    PSN - minkymu
  • On my Seiko tuna i have an erikas originals marine nationale strap. Its based on the straps used by French special forces.

Made from parachute webbing elastic. Fucking cool
    PSN - minkymu
  • Big up all the strap designs that let you lose a pin without the entire watch going across the pavement and into a drain or whatever.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yuup
    PSN - minkymu
  • Spoiler:

I could have bought at least 10 more g-shocks over the years but i tried to be sensible. A few i regret no getting when they were available.

If i start buying again i will stick to solar powered or kinetic movement if possible. Changing batteries for that many watches adds up.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I do like G-Shock but most are too big for my liking. 

They've just released a new purple Full Metal and a couple of analogue ones too, so I'm going to have to buy those soon.

72eabf19ddde6aa9bd2c35c0522ec4b1.jpg
  • That new red/ purple gshock is lovely looking tbf.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Lovely pics guys.

Really like the gold full metal gshock.

Also that red big boss gshock the tough solar one is a beauty. Nice little collection there chaplove the mudmasters
    PSN - minkymu
  • Aye, there's some lovely stuff on this page.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I have a few from over the years. All birthday or event gifts, haven’t bought any myself. 

1. Boss. Battery operated. Random (24th?) birthday gift from gf (now wife)
    2. Seiko. Battery operated. Engagement gift from now father-in-law. 
    3. Tag. 30th birthday gift from wife
    4. Rotary/Dreyfuss. 5th wedding anniversary gift from wife
    5. Raymond Weil. 35th birthday gift from wife
    6. Omega. 10th wedding anniversary from wife
    7. Cartier. 40th birthday gift from wife. 

Haven’t replaced the batteries in, or worn, the first 2 for years and years now. 

The 5 mechanical watches are in a personalised box gifted on my 40th by the kids (via their mum). Haven’t worn them in... a year. Lockdown, innit. Maybe once or twice in past year.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Some pics:
    Spoiler:
  • 15th wedding anniversary this year.  Doubt I'll end up with a watch, which will buck the trend.  Have the house renovation work to pay for.  It's my wife's 40th this year so I'll get her something nice though.
  • Been eyeing up a Rolex Daytona for years, will be my only self-purchase if I get it.  Wife promised it for my 50th, but that's over 8 years away so I might buy it before then. :)
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lapis lazuli is a sick chunk of rock and jubilee bracelets are my all time fave.

That watch is niiiiiiice!
  • Omega Seamaster elf? Nice.

Question about Omegas and Rolexs. Do you lose money on them generally or do they hold/increase their value. Obviously it depends on the exact model and how many were produced right?

What i am asking is are they a good investment?
  • Rolexs rarely loose money. More often than not they go up in value. A good trick is to grab one they are discontinuing l, the Explorer 2 is tipped for replacement this year as its the anniversary of the original. Might be worth a punt.

Omegas are less safe. Depending on model. They tend to drop in value but not by much. Again depends on model. Some buck the trend like the 007 spectre seamaster 300.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Rolex Daytona. Fuck me. Lovely watch. I know a chap who has a pearl dial variety(works on COD marketing for Activision) it was buy that or a car with his bonus. Eek
    PSN - minkymu
  • Imgur not working for me elf.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Need to stay off this thread. This seiko sports watch is down to £121. I must not buy.

• Last time I owned a watch I was around 9. Got it for my birthday. On the box it said it was scratch resistant, which I took to mean completely scratch proof. First attempt to test this with my nails proved successful. Second attempt to show off to friends by rubbing it on the tarmac sadly was not :(
  • Oooooh nice Dino

Did you see the Seiko 5 street fighter 5 editions? I was very tempted by the Ryu white model.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Oooooh nice Dino

Did you see the Seiko 5 street fighter 5 editions? I was very tempted by the Ryu white model.

I never heard of those. I have been in "ignorance is bliss" mode so i cant be tempted. Just looked them up, ryu one is nice. I do like the ken one abit more.

Also loving Birdoff's square g-shocks. Just needs one in bronze then he's got a medal set of colours.

• Minkymu wrote:
    Imgur not working for me elf.

Now?
  • To clarify, if needed, none of mine for investment. I wear them all, rotating as necessary to desired. If they go down in value, I’m not fussed. But it would be nice if they did go up. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!