A thread for watch love
  • Minkymu wrote:
    A good trick is to grab one they are discontinuing l, the Explorer 2 is tipped for replacement this year as its the anniversary of the original.

"The 2021 digital Watches & Wonders show will take place from April 7 to 13, 2021."

Might we see news then? I understand Baselworld is no more.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The really nice thing about watches is that they are timeless. They are something you can hand down to your kids as inheritance. Its something personal that daddy/mummy owned and cherished.
  • I'm amazed that watches have held their value since phones came out with clocks on. I like watches as much as the next person but I cannot see why some watches are valued so highly (monetary wise) other than rarity.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    The really nice thing about watches is that they are timeless.

You’ve wasted money on yours then. Mine all tell the time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had a self winding Swatch for quite a while. Only stopped wearing it when the lug that the strap attached to broke off. :(

Was a rather nice one.

I have a Fossil 2000 LED watch that I quite like but my eyes aren't compatible with it sadly.

This model (mine is in better nick) :-
    item_1234874_09270c13f3.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Davy have you seen Hamiltons digital watch, based on a reissue of Roger Moores bond watch? Silver or gold with red digital led. Sex
    PSN - minkymu
  • CBEE2864-0-C45-44-DD-9725-CB42-CDC2-D462.jpg

Silver one would be my grab
    PSN - minkymu
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    A good trick is to grab one they are discontinuing l, the Explorer 2 is tipped for replacement this year as its the anniversary of the original.

"The 2021 digital Watches & Wonders show will take place from April 7 to 13, 2021."

Might we see news then? I understand Baselworld is no more.

Yeah. Baselworld this year might be virtual
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - the silver is more my tastes. Nice.  My fossil is red LED and it is pleasing. Gets admiration whenever I wear it.

Would like a vintage example but I suspect most of those are not working and would have abysmal battery life even if they did. Those Hamiltons look slick.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think i prefer the Seiko Naruto collection to the Seiko Streetfighter collection.

• Don't have much to add here folks, have never been a watch wearer really. But I do have this; my dad's that was given to me after he passed.

Cfd0q8r.jpg

Had to get a new strap on it cos he was Mr Tiny Wrists so the one there isn't original. Used to wear it loads after I took this photo the day I got it back with the strap. But then I started working in a hospital and couldn't wear it.

Don't think it's particularly valuable in £, but it's worth millions to me and that's what matters eh.
  • Lovely chrono dial on that Gav. Hint of silver on the dial too, makes the orange pop. Very nice.

Like you say its priceless. It was your dads. Perfect
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Gundam Seiko Prospex range is a bit naughty .....

E43-A196-A-F7-C5-4-E21-9-BB9-B5757-F54-D62-A.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • Here is my Seiko Prospex 50th anniversary Tuna Diver on the Erika’s originals Marine Nationale parachute webbing strap, with custom red highlight.

0-C90-B8-BA-D906-409-D-84-DE-4362-B4-CD5-B39.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I think i prefer the Seiko Naruto collection to the Seiko Streetfighter collection.

Yup me too.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Here is my Seiko Prospex 50th anniversary Tuna Diver on the Erika’s originals Marine Nationale parachute webbing strap, with custom red highlight.

0-C90-B8-BA-D906-409-D-84-DE-4362-B4-CD5-B39.jpg

Now thats a expensive seiko. Nice. I dont own any watches with nato straps. I think nato straps go with the pricer models.
  • Other than the heirloom thing this love of watches baffles me.  I have a Seamaster something or other that used to be my grandfather's in a drawer somewhere.
  • Please dig it out and take a picture unlikely.
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Some nice stuff in here, wish I'd had access to my dad's watches and lighters after he passed, I used to love cleaning them with him on a Saturday morning. Nothing super special but given their age they might be by now, not the point though. @MrB Did that watch spark the Lapis Lazuli love a few years ago, or was that love what drew you to watch? As for my grail, definitely the Ressence, and also a bit like the Swatch System 51, a small firm (Ochs und junior, found them) were making a perpetual calendar of a crazy small number of parts recently, which I'd love to own just as a feat of engineering

perpetual-calendar-watch-blue-patina-5-ochs-und-junior-0051_RGB.jpg

file_58e27b675a564-2560x1600.png
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Hiya Cocko. Good to see you old chap. Is that bottom watch the one thats filled with oil?

U Boat do an oil filled dial (complete with an air bubble) in the Capsoil watch. Really interesting piece.

I remember you pointed me in thr direction of Grand Seiko a few years ago. I think via twitter??
    PSN - minkymu
  • I just remembered I own this ridiculous thing by TokyoFlash.
    The LEDs animate and light up then the count indicates hours and minutes. Totally impractical but unique.

c9bc7531c0da85385f1b7d9e6acc3ddc.jpg
  • Cocko that black watch is interesting.

There are videogame themed watches than i thought. Kojima productions limited edition seiko. Whats ludens? Is that a death standing thing?

https://www.seikowatches.com/uk-en/products/astron/special/kojimaproductions_limited/

Screenshot-20210318-232322-Chrome.jpg
  • This is the UBoat capsoil. They also do a chronograph version. The air bubble bobs about like a spirit level.

B40-A4-E06-10-EB-4-F65-A555-330651-C8713-B.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • @cockbeard I like that blobby black and white one, apparently it's full of oil or summat?

Lapis I've always liked, yes. A handsome rock.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ah yeah the top image is the Ochs and Junior, the holes denote the date, which is pretty cool https://www.ochsundjunior.swiss/watches/perpetual-calendar/

The bottom image is the Ressence type 3, yes it's full of oil, makes it easier to read underwater or from weird angles, and one again it's weird to read
    http://ressencewatches.com/beyond-hands

The date indicator on the Ochs also reminded me that the steel and blue Sky Dweller would be the Rolex of choice for me, I just love the complications it uses
    17303417_3_640.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I like the look of that UBoat, but I reckon the bubble would drive me mental. That angle really shows how it does the refraction thing so the hands and markers look magically like they are on the crystal surface
  • It is a lovely thing the Uboat. You can get it on a fantastic aged tan leather strap too. The also do a black and red dial which is awesome.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I never knew until recently that the knurled bezel rotates on the skydweller.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve been meaning to by a “nice” watch for years, I’ve got 2 Apple watches - OG Steel with Milanese loop, which is nice, but the watch is now worthless I guess, and Series 3 Steel as my daily driver with sports strap, obviously can use the other strap too, but will go cheap on my next Apple Watch tbh.

The ex bought me a nice Hugo Boss watch for Christmas a few years ago which I wear going out sometimes.

I always planned on getting a nice Tag at some point, but seems pointless right now, as it would just sit in it’s box.

On this page that grey and silver watch Cocko posted and the Uboat are lovely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!