A thread for watch love
  • I had a bad luminox experience. My dial kept fogging on the inside.
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    First watch I fell in love with was the Breitling Emergency. Some of the old Heuer watches are gorgeous, and while both firms do make lovely stuff, I'd say do a little research and check what movement you're getting in the watch. They sell quartz alongside their mechanical movements, and while I'm happy to pay for craftsmanship, I'm less happy to pay for simply a brand name stuck on a mass produced movement with hardly anything done to it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Agree with Cocko.

Also a quartz is ok but not at £2000 plus UNLESS its a Grand Seiko Quartz because they are proper pieces of home grown quartz crystal masterpieces
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    First watch I fell in love with was the Breitling Emergency. Some of the old Heuer watches are gorgeous, and while both firms do make lovely stuff, I'd say do a little research and check what movement you're getting in the watch. They sell quartz alongside their mechanical movements, and while I'm happy to pay for craftsmanship, I'm less happy to pay for simply a brand name stuck on a mass produced movement with hardly anything done to it

This is why this place is great. I don’t have a clue about watches except liking the look of them. I’ll be looking in here when deciding what to buy next year.

I recall not having a watch for years. As a kid I used to always lose my watches. No idea how but eventually mom stopped buying them for me. Had a couple of Swatches back in the day then nothing until my 30’s.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Theres even one for Roujin. FB0-ECB5-D-6016-4-D5-E-92-FC-8-E1-AEE653-D05.webp Phwoar

Lovely stuff. 

I guess my bday is coming up in a couple of weeks, so maybe if I find a nice Seiko 5 with a decent red dial I'll finally get round to getting one.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Gotta give credit to minkymu for starting this tread. I've learnt a fair bit about luxury watches. Didnt realise Rolex produce 800,000 watches a year. I thought the numbers would be much lower for how much people rate them and how some of their watches hold/increase in value. They are the Porsche of the watch world. Apparently stainless steel strap Rolexs are the way to go (no gold anywhere) as these have more value.

Also what can become a collectable/valuable watch can be down to how lucky you are with your purchase. Omega released a Speedmaster in 2013. It had red and white squares around the edge of the dial. Didnt sell in huge numbers only 2,000 or so. Then a few years later the CEO of Omega in an interview reveals that the very same watch was an aborted attempt for a homage to tintin (specifically the one tintin goes to the moon in a red and white checkered spaceship). Talks with the tintin estate collapsed so the tintin Omega was never made (number 11 on watch face was due to be replaced by the rocket). Only one tintin completed watch exists and has never been seen by the public. Obviously with this news the speedmaster watch value doubled/tripled overnight.
    Sometimes you just gotta be lucky.
  • Yeah watch collecting for profit is a weird minefield.

I say buy the stuff you like, go for something a bit unusual now and then and you may get lucky.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Electricianz Neon Z! Or as i like to call it, the Splatoon watch.....

9-DC7-C960-8938-4-E08-A3-BC-4-C649-BD7-FBE4.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • One for the dive watch fans.
    Squale are an italian brand from the 60’s that started out supplying cases to the major swiss players.

Still heavily involved in diving, mainly free diver sponsorship, they released this last year.

The Squale Carbon blue. Also available in red.

The case is made from alternating layers of carbon fibre weave and coloured plastic composite. Made in a layered block then machined. Tougher than steel and lighter than titanium. Its also non porous.

51755-E58-96-F4-4-D8-F-B6-A0-69106-EEFC165.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • Very nice IWC

Jeremy Clarkson wears an IWC topgun.

I believe Elmlea is an IWC owner too.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Theres even one for Roujin. FB0-ECB5-D-6016-4-D5-E-92-FC-8-E1-AEE653-D05.webp Phwoar

I'm liking this... a lot!
  • Honestly Boris grab one you won’t regret it. They are a solid, reliable and very pretty range.

PSN - minkymu
  • The Seiko alpinist prospex range is also lovely.

I prefer the model without the rotating inner bezel. Look at the grainy dial texture!

B1-AF3-E81-D0-F7-47-C6-A50-C-013-C5010-EFEA.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Honestly Boris grab one you won’t regret it. They are a solid, reliable and very pretty range.

What's worse, is I've found a shop that is doing £100 off £400 spend!

https://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/seiko/seiko-presage-cocktail-watch-srpe41j1-srpe41j1.html

Code:SAVE100 at checkout
  • Do it!
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Squale Carbon Blue is nice. Chronographs or dive watches are more my taste personally. Dunno why, maybe its that chunky feel of the watch.

Boris a review of that watch. The green face with brown strap is lovely as well in that model.

• Really like this Seiko Sport Avacado, never had a Nato strap watch

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice! The Negroni
  • Err...the Grand Seiko and its spring drive. Wow what engineering. I had no idea. The video below is excellent. Surely this is a watch that will go up in value in decades to come, as the first spring drive watches. The accuracy of quartz movement with mechanical movement and no battery. Stunning stuff. The way the second hand moves is mesmerising.

• Yeah Grand Seikos are excellent at every level, from the quartz models, through the spring drive and hibeat mechanisms.

A proper Rolex competitor in terms of build quality, better in fact as GS manufacturers every part in house.

The GS quartz gmt i posted earlier has a second hand that ticks twice per second and can only be seen under macro filming.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The only real downside to Grand Seiko is its only really known in watch circles, unlike Rolex. Hence resale suffers in comparison. But if you’re buying to own it, then fuck Rolex.

The GS range has watches that are accurate to +\- 5 seconds A YEAR!
    PSN - minkymu
  • Wow a luxury watch i really like Omega Silver Snoopy. That is so up my street. Beautiful.

• They did a silver snoopy a few years back without the trick moving case back

That new ones lovely.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I didnt realise how big the replica market was. No idea of quality of replica watches.
  • Sometimes very good as they employ an eta based movement or one of its selita eta based derivatives.

Mostly fucking awful
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Earlier post wasn't trying to bitch on quartz, springdrive is an amazing piece of engineering. Also lots of other good quartz watches around as well. Was just that those two brands specifically don't make it obvious which is which. Most brands, even top end stuff share movements, but hopefully they do something awesome with it. Even that Ressence uses an ETA as its base, just it lifts it above the normal
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The rotor on that Speedy really makes me smile, well done Omega, good find Dino
  • You made a valid point Cocko. Quartz watches can be amazing even at the cheap end.

However as you rightly highlighted there is a big difference between a great quartz movement and an average quartz movement stuffed in a posh brands watch and getting charged £3k for it.
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!