Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The camera is utterly woeful and makes it unplayable for me.
  • This game seems perfect for someone who fancies launching their console out of the window after stabbing themselves repeatedly in the dick.

Isn't that your reaction to most games? ;)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm not completely sold on this having read half a dozen reviews but I'll still grab the disc when it arrives. Maybe some of the irritants will have been patched by then. The Polygon review is interesting/worrying, they like it slightly less than most.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    That's put me right off (unblockable attacks, memorising combos), not that I have a PS5.

I've done the first boss now and although there are technically unlockable attacks, it's easier to avoid them than you may think. As your holding the block button already you flick the left stick and it slips the unlockable attack and leaves them open.

The camera does need some of your attention during the fights, particularly those ones in tight spaces. It's a slight annoyance at times but I've found myself becoming more aware of my positioning in the middle of the ruck so try to keep my back from being up against a wall. It's not perfect and oddly they address it early on in the old boy corridor scene and their fix works wonderfully but strangely it doesn't do it again, not what I've seen anyway.

The combat is amazing, its brutal unflinching but feels fair. Bobbing and weaving then parrying for a finish, dive over a table grab a bottle smash it over someone's head to lead to another finisher. It's exhilarating stuff. The baseball bat is fucking glorious to use. They first hour of gameplay is realy something. I could do some scenes over and over to get better it just feels so good to clear a room.

That's a few thoughts so far any way.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Every time you do a finisher the camera is fucked up and needs constant adjustment. It's infuriating. I hate shit cameras in games, my number one bugbear.

So I probably won't put any more time in, even though it seems quite good. Meh.
  • The SkillUp review dropped on YouTube.

I take note of this guys opinion, but I think he reveals way too much about a game over the course of a review. Spoiler warning!

I think I'll bite on this game at £20. I fancy something with a high skill ceiling, but OlliOlli World drops tomorrow, so that's the one.

Someone else mentioned they found the Roguelike element of this off-putting. The thing that is very un-Roguelike about this is the lack of randomisation to the levels. You are repeating exactly the same layout over and over from what I can see.
  • There are some permanent unlocks apparently, but this sounds like it's as much a traditional GAME OVER, UNLUCKY M8 thing as it is a rogue.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure I’d class anything without some amount of randomness as a roguelike, personally speaking.
  • It's the same level every time, it will lend itself well to speed running and no damage runs, it does feel and look awesome in full flow.

There are permanent unlocks, you unlock skills in what order you please so long as your young enough to learn the particular skill. Unlock it 5 times and it becomes permanently unlocked. I'm not sure yet wheather unlocking it 3 times in one run carries over so you need to unlock it another twice or whether it resets.

I like skill up all though I can't forget his review of TLOU 2 was fucking dreadfull. He said the game play had not improved since TLOU1 which was total horse shit so I take what he says with a pinch of salt. I like his week in review though, one of my faves that.
  • He's a fucker for spoiling the fuck out of games. I'll never forgive him for his Returnal review. How he didn't get more backlash for that I'll never know.
  • Whilst I enjoy replaying games like Souls and Bloodborne, I enjoy them because I run different character builds each time.

The idea of facing the same levels and bosses with the same character over and over isn't something that would appeal unless the gameplay really clicked.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not sure I’d class anything without some amount of randomness as a roguelike, personally speaking.

Roguelike seems to be used for anything run based, but yeah. The rogue part always implied changing parameters to me.  But then is something like Meat Boy Forever roguelike/lite (loosely speaking) due to the random level 'chunk' stitching?  Or the original Toejam & Earl?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not played MBF so can’t comment on that, but yeah, I think TJ&E counts.

Personally speaking, I think random elements and permadeath (even if there are upgrades that can be carried over into a new run) are the key elements of roguelikes.

Let’s face it, practically all videogames were run-based once upon a time, they definitely weren’t all roguelikes.
  • You can restart from any level you've reached. But only at the lowest age you've reached it. So if you beat a boss as an old codger, you may as well repeat the level again and do it better, so you can start the next one younger from then on.
    Cupatay wrote:
    There are permanent unlocks, you unlock skills in what order you please so long as your young enough to learn the particular skill. Unlock it 5 times and it becomes permanently unlocked. I'm not sure yet wheather unlocking it 3 times in one run carries over so you need to unlock it another twice or whether it resets.
    It does carry over, yeah. But first you have to unlock it for that run again, and then start putting XP into the permanent unlock.
  • MBF creates a full stage at random (also influenced by skill) by selecting say, a dozen segments from a pool of multiple hundreds. It's not what I'd call a roguelike if pushed for a genre definition but I've seen it described as having rogue elements - you'll pretty much never see the same full level twice unless you set the seed manually.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like MBF probably counts then.
  • It has a ton of checkpoints and no permadeath though.
  • If I had a time machine, I’d go back and kill Spelunky when it was a baby.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It has a ton of checkpoints and no permadeath though.

Then maybe not. I think I’d have to play it to say for sure.

monkey wrote:
    If I had a time machine, I’d go back and kill Spelunky when it was a baby.

I love a good roguelike. When they’re done well, they’re just about my favourite way of structuring a game.
  • Most of the best strategy games have rogue-like elements. They’re pretty much an essential part of it.

But I can’t help but think it’s popular because it’s an economical way of making a game, and extending its length. Nearly everyone I try I would prefer as a straightforward run through.
  • Whilst I enjoy replaying games like Souls and Bloodborne, I enjoy them because I run different character builds each time.

The idea of facing the same levels and bosses with the same character over and over isn't something that would appeal unless the gameplay really clicked.

This is it. I feel the opposite in that I like the idea of knowing what's coming so I can figure a way through it in the slickest way possible. You can run different skill sets each run (or moves I should say) as you unlock them during play so there's an element of that to it.

If you don't connect with the physicality and feel of the combat in this there's realy nothing here to see.

I'm one and a half levels in out of five. The story is thread bare , minimalist. It's there to give you a reason to enjoy the combat. The script and voicing don't realy do much for it either, I would've liked more to go on but I'm a fan of the naughty dog type cut scene so you know.

I will say the atmosphere and sound track feel right at home, shades of that dark neon drenched 80s feel from the wolf among us. I love it.

Can't wait to get back to it.
  • I'm with Monkey on this, but the rogues that have got their claws all the way in are genuinely wonderful (Hades, Scourgebringer, Dead Cells....I want to type Flinthook so I will).

I've been an advocate of having a traditional structure as an option in these games for ages. Fix a seed, call it arcade mode and let the genre purists cry themselves to sleep while stubborn knuckledraggers like me enjoy the game with or without permadeath and without having to provide 20+hrs of footage to the gittin gud montage.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Most of the best strategy games have rogue-like elements. They’re pretty much an essential part of it.

But I can’t help but think it’s popular because it’s an economical way of making a game, and extending its length. Nearly everyone I try I would prefer as a straightforward run through.

That might explain why they’re popular with devs but not necessarily why they’re popular with consumers.

A good roguelike for me offers a satisfying chunk of gameplay, with a definite start and end which I do not need to dedicate hours to.

The randomness also means that each of these chunks of gameplay are different to ones that I’ve experienced before, and offer up the possibility of becoming hilariously OP for a short while which is always fun, although in non-roguelikes, it’s fun for an hour or so, and then I end up never playing the game again as there’s no longer any challenge.

With a good roguelike, there are all kinds of ways to achieve a ridiculously OP build which means lots of space to experiment, and it’s opening up that room to experiment with practically no risk attached to doing so that makes them so compelling.
  • You can refund games after a trial period on PC, right? There's a chance that has something to do with it too.
  • monkey wrote:
    If I had a time machine, I’d go back and kill Spelunky when it was a baby.

This is sacrilege you should be ashamed. ;)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Most of the best strategy games have rogue-like elements. They’re pretty much an essential part of it.

That might explain why they’re popular with devs but not necessarily why they’re popular with consumers.

A good roguelike for me offers a satisfying chunk of gameplay, with a definite start and end which I do not need to dedicate hours to.

The randomness also means that each of these chunks of gameplay are different to ones that I’ve experienced before, and offer up the possibility of becoming hilariously OP for a short while which is always fun, although in non-roguelikes, it’s fun for an hour or so, and then I end up never playing the game again as there’s no longer any challenge.

With a good roguelike, there are all kinds of ways to achieve a ridiculously OP build which means lots of space to experiment, and it’s opening up that room to experiment with practically no risk attached to doing so that makes them so compelling.

Yeah I absolutely get this but they rarely grab me in that way. I often find the procedural generation isn’t varied enough so it doesn’t feel completely new. Part of it, I think, is some deep-seated PTSD from too many hours of 8-bit games at a tender age. The trauma of the lost progress from a lapse in concentration.
  • Anyway, judging by this vid (which is very good), I wouldn’t say this is much of a rogue-like. More a bitch of a game requiring pitch-perfect execution. This isn’t a format I’m going to get on with. I’d like a bash on PS+ or wherever it ends up.
    The SkillUp review dropped on YouTube. I'm pretty sure this ain't my thing, but it sounds great.

https://youtu.be/ve2n7YMBvxg

• In this case, with the absence of randomness, it does seem like an optional arcade mode would work.

I think the issue is the aging mechanic, which they've made a big deal out of. The truth is they could probably remove it, or at least make it one game mode, but they've tried to make it central to the experience without really doing anything interesting with it.
  • It'll be interesting to see if they stick to their guns or add an extra mode as a concession somewhere down the line, Below Explore style.
  • This fancy aging system.
    Is that not just traditional lives just counting up rather than down?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!