SIFU: Fight with expert timing…
  • *puts MK64 mask on*
    *scares children*
    The best can defeat most opponents in well under 10 seconds, with only some fighters taking less than 15 seconds. In sifu, the third boss means however good I get, even to speed run levels, I have to wait for prescribed reasons, doing the same thing again and again whilst the enemy learns nothing. hardly action movie trope is it

I mean seriously
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJG_pXY67xY
  • Lol that's the video I consulted last night.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    What Ram’s said above about patience and health whittling is one of those A-Ha moments for me: it perfectly describes what I couldn’t articulate about my problems with games like these (souls type) If I get good at a fighting game, that means I can beat the shit out of whatever boss there is after a while: like Ram says, whale on the fucker. Getting good at pattern recognition and then having to be super patient as you get that single hit in every ten seconds? Fuck that it’s like fighting has turned into a job, it’s bullshit rpg grinding with pyrotechnics and more punishment Thank you ram. Next time someone says get good I can just say why the fuck would I want to get good at boring repetitive strain injury and cross eye inducing make-work? It’s the difference between how I got ok at BotW (can take out any number of high level bastards with a few weapons) or viewtiful joe or street fighter, and how I’ll never get ok with this
    you're welcome.

I would say if you have this game, play it on student and these fights are much more manageable. cos you can survive a few hits, standing in and blocking/dodging becomes easier (perhaps more forgiving timing too), and then you can interrupt the attacks and get a few more hits in. I still die a few times cos of impatience but at least i feel like i'm having a fight and not just waiting for the opponent to give up from boredom
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I mean literally twice today the perfect phraseology

“Waiting for the opponent to give up from boredom”

Fabulous
  • Don’t get me wrong: if you’re into grinding and avoiding and dodging for thirty seconds before you gently slap a bad guy x100, and collecting ingredients and fuel and so on that’s great!

I just wanted a way to understand why I’m repelled by soulsy games (from a fight mechanics pov) and why “get good” didn’t seem to cover it, now I do thanks again Ram
  • I can't stand souls games either. They feel cheap, full of trial and error and combat feels floaty and crap. I just don't get them or why people think they're good. I do love this though.

I get the frustration with the bosses, it's gonna be a sticking point for many. Don't let that ruin the experience for you though as the rest of the combat and enemies are a completely different kettle of fish.
  • I'm gonna try it on easy mode to get a taste
  • Just started this and completed the first area with only a small amount of bother. Like what I've played so far. Definitely one for me.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Just started this and completed the first area with only a small amount of bother. Like what I've played so far. Definitely one for me.

Great game, now it's free on ps plus everyone should give it a try.
    The arena modes are properly addictive.
  • That’s where I’ve picked it up.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Just started this and completed the first area with only a small amount of bother. Like what I've played so far. Definitely one for me.

If you feel like it's clicking from the off then you are in for a treat. Such a good game.
  • Played the first area and it's a solid game. Just need to get the muscle memory up to speed as I'm just button making at the moment. The end boss seems like a puzzle over a challenge, using the right blocks and counters to take them out.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tried this out.  Not liking it that much so I've binned it for now.  Only did the first area and a bit of second but the combat feels a little clunky so far to me and I'm not sure about this ageing malarkey.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tried this out.  Not liking it that much so I've binned it for now.  Only did the first area and a bit of second but the combat feels a little clunky so far to me and I'm not sure about this ageing malarkey.
    I did the same tbh. But i started it in the middle of Lies of P and it all of a sudden got interesting. Found it pretty clunky as well and after all the training sections I felt I was button mashing for a lot of it. Will go back in a month and declare it GOTY no doubt.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played, but not sure about the boss encounters. I got to the first boss without taking a hit pretty much, but they’re a different beast and I can’t see a way to not take damage. Same applies to the second one in the club.
  • I'm feeling the training was training for the boss battles rather than the main fighting game as just like you Syph, i blasted through the first level and then got beat down by the boss because my block tactics just weren't working.
  • I'll return to it, but I don't want the main levels and the bosses to feel like 2 separate games, which I fear at this point. The levels should prepare you for the bosses, not make you lazy on the way to them.
  • That's interesting. The bosses do seem to favour specific techniques I guess. Stage 2 boss for example is a breeze if you just learn to dodge his attacks, then punish once his attack sequence is over. Some of the others favour parrying the shit out of everything to break their focus (particularly if you have maxed of the focus parry skill).

I think it's true though that to beat the bosses you have to face the bosses and fail a few times, rather than learning to beat them purely from beating up the plebs.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I'll return to it, but I don't want the main levels and the bosses to feel like 2 separate games, which I fear at this point. The levels should prepare you for the bosses, not make you lazy on the way to them.

Agree with drum above. The emphasis changes from an instinctual reactivate kind of fight where using the environment and the techniques you've learned will see you through to a tense game of pattern recognition, discipline and concentration.

I enjoyed the lot but there's no doubt the goons and mini bosses were the most fun and created that feeling of being in a Jackie Chan movie.
  • Yeah i didn't really enjoy the bosses and ended up dropping the skill level to get through the last few.
    But the general goons part of the levels is great.
    I enjoy the arena mode too where it's a few waves of scrapping with different perks/restrictions
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Cupatay wrote:
    The emphasis changes from an instinctual reactivate kind of fight where using the environment and the techniques you've learned will see you through to a tense game of pattern recognition, discipline and concentration.

Aye. That's perfectly put.

This chat just makes me want to face Yang again.

I think I concur though, that the most fun I've had with this game is trying to dispatch groups of goons with the smoothest style possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!