SIFU: Fight with expert timing…
  • For anyone struggling to get into this, I think the first thing I'd say is just make sure you are using the parry mechanic as much as possible, rather than the avoid/dodge. It might feel more natural to go for the dodge but it's parry that you need to use 90% of the time.
  • Funny - this and Sekiro are both back on the front page. Both games that I'm too chicken to try to get into because I hate learning parry mechanics.

Maybe I should just man up and develop zen reflexes.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I'm actually enjoying this so far.
    Combat is meaty and crunchy, mechanically takes from arkham style and adds a few more layers to make it a bit more technical. Basically what i hoped for.

Not sure i have the skills to be good at it or the mentality to keep grinding through the rogue like elements, but it's good fun when you put some moves on a bunch of thugs. I'm just too much of a natural brawler (in video games) to concentrate on timing multiple parries and dodges then remembering button combos. :)
    Made it to the boss at end of second level and got chinned, think i was in 30s when i got there. Not sure i even managed to hit him.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Might convince myself to try the easy level if i get really sick but so far working through on the medium one
  • Beat 2nd boss but i was 76 and didn't last long on next level.
    Went back and got through at 51. Think i got close to level 3 boss but it all went a bit trippy before i died.
    Not sure i really approve of the 'magical' element with the bosses when the rest of the enemies and combat is relatively grounded and realistic, but i guess it makes it a bit different
  • I need to get onto Sifu at some point next year maybe.  Sounds right up my street.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have a disc if anyone wants a lend.
  • PS5?  I might do that, mate, thanks.  Just not now as I have too many games on the go.  And big ones at that.  But just get rid if you need to rather than holidng on.  I'm sure it'll be on sale here and there.

EDIT: £11.54 right now on sale.
  • Yep, that's a great price. Up to you anyway, it's in the drawer.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yep, that's a great price. Up to you anyway, it's in the drawer.

OK thanks.  I'll try and remember when I come to actually have time for it.  Maybe around springtime 2024!  Need to crack on with Zelda and BG3!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I didn't really like it

Maybe just cos I was shit at it tho
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm this might actually explain why I don't like lots of things
  • Got to the second phase of the level 3 boss but combo of lack of patience and reactions are making it a bit tricky
  • The moment you see that glint in her eye...dodge!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Art imitating life
  • drumbeg wrote:
    The moment you see that glint in her eye...dodge!

Getting a bit fed up with it tbh. I just don't have the patience for these kind of fights where you have to dodge and wait for ages for an opening that then only let's you get one hit in....then you have to wait and repeat and slowly whittle health down over an age .
    I think it's why i struggle with bosses on likes of elden Ring etc. I don't mind a bit of patience but once there's an opening i want to smash the opponent up a bit. Dodging 5 just to land one and then remember not to try to hit more than once or they'll counter you just doesn't work for me. I fight like rocky not mayweather jnr! ;)
  • I appreciate the alternative is to 'git gud'
  • You can catch her projectiles and chuck them back at her if that helps speed things up.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I am aware I'm probably the only one still playing this but I think it's fuckin brilliant.

I'm through to level 4 aged 28 now. Absolutely on fire in the second stage of this boss fight. Catching those daggers and flinging them back helps.

• See watching that just kind of confirms my frustrations.
    You're there with your elite ninja skills catching the knives and dodging all the attacks and it still took ages to slowly chip away and still died a couple of times ;)
  • I think it's mainly about timing and rhythm. It's certainly not a reflex thing but it does comes from repetition and feeling. It's that practice that gets you to that flow state. If you can stick with it and get there, then beating this boss changes your mindset on whats possible I think. She's a tough one though.
  • I gave up, lowered the skill level and smashed the rest of the game. The actual combat was still enjoyable with enough challenge, still died a few times especially on bosses, but the extra headroom on health and blocking meant i could experiment and enjoy the game without dying after every little mistake.
    Only aging 1 year per death takes a bit of pressure off too.
    I think there's prob scope for a skill level between student and disciple where the level is like student but with the proper aging mechanic.
    Anyhoo, it's rare for me but i think I'll still go back to try out the arena mode and clean up some of the stuff i missed in levels....maybe even one day try again on the proper skill level
  • It's a shame there's no difficulty setting somewhere between standard and super easy. Can't have everything I guess.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a shame there's no difficulty setting somewhere between standard and super easy. Can't have everything I guess.

There's modifications or something, forget if yoy have to unlock them or not though.
  • I gave up, lowered the skill level and smashed the rest of the game. The actual combat was still enjoyable with enough challenge, still died a few times especially on bosses, but the extra headroom on health and blocking meant i could experiment and enjoy the game without dying after every little mistake.
    Only aging 1 year per death takes a bit of pressure off too.
    I think there's prob scope for a skill level between student and disciple where the level is like student but with the proper aging mechanic.
    Anyhoo, it's rare for me but i think I'll still go back to try out the arena mode and clean up some of the stuff i missed in levels....maybe even one day try again on the proper skill level

Glad you got through to the end Ram.

I hope they make a sequel with some sort of co-op or multiplayer and build on the move set that's already in place. It's a cracking game.
  • Decided to play this again due to the recent chat. Student mode again but I did just legitimately wreck the second boss.
  • What Ram’s said above about patience and health whittling is one of those A-Ha moments for me: it perfectly describes what I couldn’t articulate about my problems with games like these (souls type)

If I get good at a fighting game, that means I can beat the shit out of whatever boss there is after a while: like Ram says, whale on the fucker. Getting good at pattern recognition and then having to be super patient as you get that single hit in every ten seconds? Fuck that it’s like fighting has turned into a job, it’s bullshit rpg grinding with pyrotechnics and more punishment

Thank you ram. Next time someone says get good I can just say why the fuck would I want to get good at boring repetitive strain injury and cross eye inducing make-work?

It’s the difference between how I got ok at BotW (can take out any number of high level bastards with a few weapons) or viewtiful joe or street fighter, and how I’ll never get ok with this
  • Yeah the third boss in particular is a bide-your-timer, you really have to pick your spot to deal any damage.  Not everyone's cup of tea (wouldn't be mine of standard difficulty).  

It's Mike Tyson's Super Punch-Out!!, not Leeroy Jenkins'!!
  • That's just it though. you can get good enough at punch-out!! to grind a bit, sure, but you can also keep getting better until you're just destroying the opponents in seconds, with a simple-ish move set and some good timing. In this, it's deliberately hobbling you to make the boss 'harder', one or two hits and you have to pause the combo or get punished. it's not harder! it's just takes fucking longer, and forces you to keep doing the same shit again and again! needing patience is not the same as getting good
  • Ah, I'm a Punch-Out novice so assumed even experts had to wait it out/pattern watch to win.

Pretend I used a decent reference 'cos that's what I meant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!