The drinking man’s thread
  • You can use chick-pea scum if you're a vegan.
  • The page turneth...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice page turn.

No... I leave all that fannying about to a good bar.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried Metaxa 12star last night warmed up using the brandy warmer.  Tasted just as good as it did on holiday. It is fruiter than a brandy but very much in the same family.

Really, really nice drink. Can't vouch for the other drinks in the Metaxa range though.
  • Cardenal Mendoza is the best brandy I've ever tasted by a mile. It's quite sweet but if you think you might like an almost sherry-like taste you can't go wrong with warming up this little beauty:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/brandy/cardenal-mendoza-solera-gran-reserve/

I made a fruit cake once and put loads in, was amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I make my Christmas cake with Remy Martin VSOP.

Fond of Remy Martin VSOP but I just love a glass of Hennessey VSOP.  Quite under rated. I was gifted a bottle of Remy Martin Coeur de Cognac that came in a gorgeous flat style bottle and it was a beautiful drink but I can't find it any more. :(
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/cognac/remy-martin-coeur-de-cognac/

The Cardinal has been noted.  :)   

I have been tempted to try one of the up market ones but without knowing too much I'm afraid of falling for hype. It quickly jumps to £100+ for a bottle. I'll probably start with a Hennessey XO out of duty free.
  • davyK wrote:
    Tried Metaxa 12star last night warmed up using the brandy warmer.  Tasted just as good as it did on holiday. It is fruiter than a brandy but very much in the same family.

Really, really nice drink. Can't vouch for the other drinks in the Metaxa range though.

The 7 is decent. I don't like brandy (although all I've ever had was Three Barrels) but I like that.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Three Barrels.   I suspect that is rough as a badger's arse.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's the difference between cognac and brandy? Is it just a champagne/ sparkling wine thing?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cardenal Mendoza is the best brandy I've ever tasted by a mile.

Hasn't he just signed for Newcastle?
  • Pedro signed for Chelsea and Sancho signed for us.  Mendoza wants a slice of the gold too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's the difference between cognac and brandy? Is it just a champagne/ sparkling wine thing?

It's the region the grapes are from. So yeah - just like champagne. Like whiskey, brandy is clear after distillation and the colour comes from the barrels its aged in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Opened a bottle of Bushmills finished in Bourbon casks. Was gifted that for sorting out a mate's PC who fell for a call centre scammer. I say that because it isn't something I'd have bought.

Really smooth, even for Bush. Didn't need water. Tried it with water but tasted better without. Very pleasant just straight. Would buy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Just learned that Brandy not aged in casks and colourless is called eau de vie. Water of life. Can be bought that way.

Splendid. Double distilled so should be smooth.
  • Employing a strategy of "it can't be a Brewdog tin and it must me on a clubcard price deal" when it comes to choosing beers, and it's doing me right. Some decent gear in there. Tonight is the Jute ipa from Salt brewery. Can looks like a protein powder but it's a lovely drop.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Just learned that Brandy not aged in casks and colourless is called eau de vie. Water of life. Can be bought that way.

Whiskey is from the Irish uisce (beatha), which also means water of life. But I guess you knew that.

• Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Gav Salt are great. Don’t think I’ve had a bad tipple from them. If your Tesco has Vocation Brewery then Aoraki and Love & Hate are worth a go. Beavertown’s Lunar Haze is good too.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Northern Monk Faith is my fave Tesco beer. Gorgeous stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Just learned that Brandy not aged in casks and colourless is called eau de vie. Water of life. Can be bought that way.0

Whiskey is from the Irish uisce (beatha), which also means water of life. But I guess you knew that.

Yeah. But I think I prefer the French version.
  • I’ve never come across Punchdrink before, but it seems like quite a nice online booze magazine. Anyway, a friend sent me this article and I really liked it. An argument against the descriptor ‘smooth’ when describing spirits. Essentially, smooth = bland.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/lets-talk-about-smooth-whiskey-spirits-tasting-notes
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't agree with that. Smooth in my mind has everything to do with how harsh the alcohol feels and nothing to do with flavour. I've had very smooth and still very pungent Islay's, and quite harsh but bland blends.
  • I just think it’s a nicely written piece, whether you agree with the author or not.
  • “Even as an adjective, “smooth” functions as a verb: It is the buffing out of character, the sanding down of the distinctions that make great spirits great. ”

This has it entirely backwards. Smooth means I can actually taste it. A smooth whisky is one I can taste the differences in flavour as it goes down.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    “Even as an adjective, “smooth” functions as a verb: It is the buffing out of character, the sanding down of the distinctions that make great spirits great. ”

This has it entirely backwards. Smooth means I can actually taste it. A smooth whisky is one I can taste the differences in flavour as it goes down.

Exactly

poprock wrote:
    I just think it’s a nicely written piece, whether you agree with the author or not.

Possibly, but it's difficult to see when you completely disagree with the premise.
  • I’m not a whisky drinker anyway, but I’m into the premise of the article. Smooth = lacking character. I can dig that, as a theory.
  • M&S cocktail cans are amazing for the price. 3 for £6, each contains a double measure too. Grabbed a load of Mojitos earlier as they never seem to stock the Caipirinha when I go looking. Plenty of other types too, but they're mostly on the sweeter side which I'm not keen on.
  • Was at an indoor mini golf place in London recently and cocktails were £11-13 each. I had a good night but it ruined me for the month, payday can't come soon enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smooth for me means the harsh kick isn't there. It could be accused of losing something though. Bushmills is one of the smoothest whiskies around. But Irish whiskey isn't as varied as Scotch although in recent times that is improving with the rise of the small batch. It is sweeter though as a rule. But there's smooth Scots whisky too of course.

Smooth, for me,  means it tastes great without water and possibly better that way.
  • I am now hooked on the children's entertainer energy of the Tipsy Bartender Youtube channel and his range of very naff cocktails.
  • Character in this instance would seem to mean makes you choke.
    "“Smooth” centers the absence of pain rather than the joy in discovery.

Unless you're marketing a spirit that has the selling point of being only just short of being furniture polish, absence of pain is a very good thing. That's what enables the joy of discovery.

Honestly it's just an incredibly confusing article. How can a drink have character if I'm not able to taste anything?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!