Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I was being silly cos of my quote. It's at least a 5 out of 10.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "guess the denominator" is my kind of scoring system. Maybe next goty thread...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Actually, I'm changing it to [5A++]. A high 5A++, to clarify.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    5A++ out of 10 AAA means half a rechargeable battery once the A's cancel. Makes sense really.
  • Silksong

But is it as good? No. [9].

That works too?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    @muzzy

Glad somebody is on my wavelength.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    @muzzy

Glad somebody is on my wavelength.

There’s low self esteem and then there’s this…
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Silksong But is it as good? No. [9]. That works too?
    Thought we agreed that silksong was just a collective dream we had?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Stealth drop when they announce it’s a launch title for wii u
    The Forum Herald™
  • I bet it’s gonna skip Switch and come out for the inevitable Switch U.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It comes out just before the switch’s end and its pish
    Scenes
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Metroid (NES) - I've dabbled with this previously but never made a proper attempt until now. I assumed it would be extremely inaccessible compared to Zero Mission. Ultimately it's not that bad. The continue system is actually OK given that nowadays you can use save states as a resume mode. The Famicom Disk System version of this has saves and less slowdown but has absolutely awful loading times each time you game over, so I ditched it for the NES version. I would absolutely play Zero Mission before this but it helps give you an idea what you should be doing. The design can be obtuse but online maps and hints alleviate this. You do miss the quality of life updates of later games. I think a map with an indicator of undiscovered secrets is essential for this style of gameplay. There are some absolutely awful level design bits in this that I don't remember from Zero Mission and assume were removed. It's also very boring and grindy to build up health again after a game over. Plus the early game with no upgrades is more vicious than I remember from Zero Mission - I struggled without the Varia Suit. But overall, I can't deny I got sucked into this version and found it compelling and enjoyable. [7]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's genuinely quite interesting. Maybe I should go back and give the OG 'troid another go.

In other news...

Eastward (Switch)

Absolutely bizarre, but I enjoyed it. I think the subtleties of the plot passed me by, but I got the gist. A lot of the bosses just appear out of nowhere and are never mentioned before or afterwards, and many of them boil down to 'shoot them with Sam's powers then hit them with John's weapons', but there's enough variety even within this to keep them interesting. There's a lot of dialogue, but the characters are fleshed out enough that it doesn't become a drag. The developers also managed to make a post-yet-also-on-the-cusp-of-failing-again-apocalyptic society have a lot of levity and joy, as well as being oddly beautiful. Each locale on your journey sticks in the memory. Definitely worth a punt if you're into RPGs and are looking for something different. However, I don't see it having much replay value. It's a voyage that keeps you on your toes and will surprise you, but it's (at points literally) on rails.

[8] blimpigs whacked with a frying pan out of [10] gacha toys for a fictional NES-esque RPG/manga.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Detroit: Become Human

Think I got the 'Bad' ending.

I enjoyed what I played and I enjoyed how the story ramped up as it went. Was a tiny bit heavy handed towards the end maybe with the whole
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • Spiderman

Fucking brilliant.
    Still got loads of mopping up to do plus DLC then Miles Morales at some point.
  • Save Miles for the Christmas run up maybe? It’s structurally very similar to the main game so the gap would do you some good and you’d also be playing it in the right time of year. It’s brevity is a welcome too.
  • Bob wrote:
    Detroit: Become Human

Think I got the 'Bad' ending.

I enjoyed what I played and I enjoyed how the story ramped up as it went. Was a tiny bit heavy handed towards the end maybe with the whole
    Spoiler:

I think I stumbled into the perfect ending. I seem to remember it didn’t review particularly well and there was a lot of snide around it but I thought it was his best game by a mile and probably the best press x to pay respects game I’ve come across.

• I seem to remember it didn’t review particularly well and there was a lot of snide around it but I thought it was his best game by a mile and probably the best press x to pay respects game I’ve come across.

Would agree with this. Also think that when it's trying to just be a 90s / early 2000s thriller, like The Fugitive or Panic Room, it's genuinely great. When it's trying to do Serious Racism discourse...it's, well, a bit naff.
  • I'd argue, although not particularly strongly, that being a bit naff is one of things that appeals about the genre.
  • I seem to remember it didn’t review particularly well and there was a lot of snide around it but I thought it was his best game by a mile and probably the best press x to pay respects game I’ve come across.

Would agree with this. Also think that when it's trying to just be a 90s / early 2000s thriller, like The Fugitive or Panic Room, it's genuinely great. When it's trying to do Serious Racism discourse...it's, well, a bit naff.

Yup, the bits THAT WANT YOU TO THINK are unfortunately heavy handed. Peak action thriller stuff is genuinely legit.
  • Save Miles for the Christmas run up maybe? It’s structurally very similar to the main game so the gap would do you some good and you’d also be playing it in the right time of year. It’s brevity is a welcome too.

Yeah I think that's probably a good shout.
    Got a stupid amount of other stuff to fill the gap.

• Bob wrote:
    Detroit: Become Human Think I got the 'Bad' ending. I enjoyed what I played and I enjoyed how the story ramped up as it went. Was a tiny bit heavy handed towards the end maybe with the whole
    Spoiler:
    I think I stumbled into the perfect ending. I seem to remember it didn’t review particularly well and there was a lot of snide around it but I thought it was his best game by a mile and probably the best press x to pay respects game I’ve come across.

Yeah I've since read that he had help with the writing even though he still gets sole writing credit and that really shows I think. There's some nice touches to the story even though it's all a bit heavy handed.

I particularly enjoyed how it all started with fairly boring domestic stuff and escalated to thriller.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I started Beyond: Two Souls off the back of Detroit.
    Story is OK, not a patch on Detroit. Like a DC TV show tbh.

The controls though, oh good lord the controls. The CIA combat training was rage inducing. I dropped down to easy just to get the prompts on screen. Some of them I would never have got. Flailing camera, crossing the line so your character switches screen sides constantly and then you have to guess if they are swinging left/right or dodging, in a split second, then action it. Unbelievable trash.

I looked it up and apparently the Steam version lags too so is basically impossible without pure memorisation. Reminds me of doing a practice Hazard Awareness CD Rom on my shit old family PC and failing constantly then 100%ing the real test.

Other QTE and prompts dont really carry across either. I did the CIA assault course which involved using L1 and R1 to climb a wall. Basically the next chapter I was climbing a rock face with totally different prompts.

This should be in the bin thread but Detroit chat.

Detroit is excellent.
  • Did you play Heavy Rain Liv?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nah.
    If its like Beyond I wont be bothering.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Nah. If its like Beyond I wont be bothering.

The controls are even worse.
  • Im not sure thats possible.
    I might try it now just to see.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!