Just completed
  • As I remember and it's been a while, They're almost exactly the same?? Although it's been a while.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    As I remember and it's been a while, They're almost exactly the same?? Although it's been a while.

Hmmm, maybe. Did Two Souls use tank controls?
  • Nah, the walking about is fine.

Controlling your spirit friend is a bit clunky.
    Real Sam vibes too.
    FelineDistinctGander-size_restricted.gif
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Im not sure thats possible. I might try it now just to see.

Enjoy lol. I lasted 10 minutes.
  • Ah I don't remember the tank controls on Heavy Rain. The movement controls on Detroit are better. I was mainly thinking of the QTE inputs.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Ah, yeah, gotcha. And agreed that Detroit is better.

Also, seem to remember Heavy Rain made use of the Move controllers too, way back then, as it would have been Wii-fever time.
  • Beyond made me genuinely angry. I have the odd rant now and then (e.g. Rime but I did complete that twice so I gave it a fair shot :-) ) but this really pissed me off. I didn't get very far.
  • I got genuinely angry in the CIA training bit.
    Sticking it on easy I got a bit further, nothing else so far is as shitty as that section but there was a bit that I would honestly have no idea how anyone could even begin to play it on normal.

The big fuck you is that Easy isnt called Easy. It adopts that description style that has become popular. "I've played a game before" for 'Normal' and "Im a complete no hands dumb cunt who doesnt know what a television is" for 'Easy'.

Having played 30 years of games made no difference to the ability to play Beyond on 'Normal'.
  • Fahrenheit was enough for me.  Although I am now intrigued by Detroit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Fahrenheit was enough for me.  Although I am now intrigued by Detroit.

I’d say it’s worth a punt. Hate most Cage, really enjoyed Detroit.
  • Coolbeans, a Cinty endorsement is good enough for me.
  • Detroit is the pinnacle of the genre... i.e. Cage-a-thons.. But don't let a Bob endorsement put you off..
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tetris Effect Connected Switch

Well, Journey mode. Which I'm counting as the "single player campaign". Managed to do the whole thing with zero flubs, all A rank, until the penultimate stage, then I fucked it up royally and got a D. Did the final level first try with a B. Now to do what I did with Tetris on 3DS and just spend the rest of my life grinding Sprint mode.

[9]
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've put a few hours into Detroit by now, can't say it's doing much for me. From what I remember I preferred the Heavy Rain setting.

Will probably continue playing. Really odd choice to have the flowchart available while going through the chapter though, you'd think you want to go through it as natural as possible, accepting your mistakes etc, but everytime I press pause I can't help myself and have a look. Few times it has led to noticing I missed things and me going back. The game is scripted enough so far that you can kinda tell when it's gonna lock you out of an area / progress the story with no option to change what's come before.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wrong thread.
  • Nina wrote:
    I've put a few hours into Detroit by now, can't say it's doing much for me. From what I remember I preferred the Heavy Rain setting.

Will probably continue playing. Really odd choice to have the flowchart available while going through the chapter though, you'd think you want to go through it as natural as possible, accepting your mistakes etc, but everytime I press pause I can't help myself and have a look. Few times it has led to noticing I missed things and me going back. The game is scripted enough so far that you can kinda tell when it's gonna lock you out of an area / progress the story with no option to change what's come before.

It’s a slow start keep with it.

Don’t access the flow chart mid game it’s better if you see what choices you’ve done after it kind of confirms that you did have choice
    The Forum Herald™
  • STOP PEAKING NINA!
  • Erm.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    STOP PEKING, NINA!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    There is something about that flow chart design that makes it so hard to resist.

Also looked up the amount of chapters as I just can't help myself.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy) - In some respects this is pretty decent for the hardware - it's a nice big Metroid adventure and they found some decent ways to evolve the gameplay from the original NES game. Graphically it's quite nice and there's a reasonable amount of enemy variety throughout. But on the other hand, it's often repetitive and dull. A lot of the time, playing the game made me feel like I was just existing rather than truly living. It's interesting to compare it to the Nintendo 3DS remake, Samus Returns. That game was often more fun on a moment-to-moment level but overall ended up being overwrought as a whole. This original version is often pretty dull but feels just the right size without wearing out its welcome with additional content. A respectable effort that is OK but not great by modern standards. [6]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I get me metroids mixed up but seem to remember the gba games being ace
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I get me metroids mixed up but seem to remember the gba games being ace

Zero Mission was ace. I haven't played Fusion yet because I still need to finish Super and I want to play them in chronological order.
  • Zero Mission is the best of the bunch for me.

Re Samus Returns, thought the 3DS one was really mediocre. The unofficial fan remake AM2R was more fun (although the amateurishness showed quite often).
  • I've got AM2R installed on my Xbox One, will give it a look at some point. Dread is my favourite by a mile, partly because of the genuinely great boss battles but mainly because of the controls and streamlined progression. Fusion and Zero Mission would be second and third. I've never managed to get on with Super and haven't tried the NES/GB games.
  • I forgot about Dre(ad).
    That’s right up there but I didn’t like the bits where you get hunted. Super is fourth in my list.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Detroit.

Think in the end I just can't take this too seriously. There's so many things in there that don't make sense, and it never really dares to go anywhere with the themes it presents. It throws in references to names, places, experiments/tests but hardly ever in a way that makes sense. Maybe I missed things, but from what B saw he got the same feeling. Although he dislikes Cage in general, and I enjoyed Heavy Rain.
    It looks very good (although framerate started to have drops towards the end when going between scenes), I like gameplay like this, it's chill and I'm pretty good at qte's. It's all very inoffensive and you can't really mess up, so you're always making progress and sometimes that's just what you want.

Am a bit mad I didn't get to use the
    Spoiler:

I might do a longer write up about my choices later, as I went back to Liv's post in the currently playing thread and it's always fun to compare things like this. I got quite a few of the lesser chosen options according to that beautiful flowchart. At the beginning I thought players would get directed towards the "nicer" options more easily as that one always had a very high % of choice, but was happy to see it split more towards the end.

In short:
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Pinball (NES) - Obviously this is an endless pinball game but the manual refers to clearing the Screen C Mario minigame as 'winning the game' and I completed this as my goal for Game A and Game B so here we are.

Back when Final Fantasy XII came out, Penny Arcade ran a cartoon that joked that the game was masterbating (the battle system was partly automated). A lot of the time, Pinball genuinely feels like it's masturbating. Your inputs often don't matter at all. Sometimes the ball would fall from Screen A to Screen B - you have to enter the screen C minigame from Screen B - and I'd have died before I could interact with anything.

I just don't think it has any joy to it and it doesn't even bring anything else to the table to compensate for it - the game literally comprises of one pinball table made up of three screens - and this is a full retail release! I've never previously disliked video game pinball even though it's not something I'm deeply into - I enjoyed the pinball game that was bundled into Windows when I was young and enjoyed Sonic Pinball and the pinball games in Sonic Adventure. I just found this really simplistic and lacking in comparison. To make matters worse, it's a pinball game that can't even keep track of your high score since it wipes whenever you turn the console off.

This may have made more sense in the Famicom Disk System format - it would have presumably been cheaper and able to save your high score. As a full price NES release, this is an outrage. [3]
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Donkey Kong (NES) and Donkey Kong: Original Edition (NES via Virtual Console) - I could have sworn I reviewed the arcade version of Donkey Kong at one point but I can't find it now. I imagine I would have given it an [8]? Anyway, I couldn't remember if I'd ever properly whizzed through the levels on NES (I'm trying to go through all the games that were featured in NES Remix 1) so I played both the original and the Original Edition (an aborted re-release that restored the conveyer belt level and some minor bits from the arcade game and was eventually released on the Virtual Console). These are pretty good renditions, if not perfect. I'll give Original Edition a [7] due to it being a slight downgrade from the original and the NES release version a [6] due to it missing a quarter of the game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sable (PC)

Just wonderous. I think it'll be on my list of favourite titles, up there with Ocarina and Metroid Prime. It joins the original Xenoblade on the "games where I wanted to screenshot everything" list, too.

I was going to knock it down a point for a few graphical issues, but that'd be churlish. Everything else is superlative. Just because there were one or two rocks with no collision doesn't change how much fun I had exploring that world.

[10]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!